Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Resolutions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

boobar wrote: »
    With a new year just around the corner, I started thinking about resolutions for the new year.

Here are some of mine:

Do more things together as a family - my daughter is still young so I want her to remember good times.

Learn to swim and help my daughter learn to swim as well.

Have a proper holiday (to hell with the finances) only had a 3 day break last year, and the Mrs works in a high pressure area, so want to surprise here by having a holiday booked by the end of January.

Look after the health - had some health problems a few years back which really knocked me, so going to continue focussing on the health, weight and fitness.

Try and gain some certifications for professional development and to look seriously at finishing my masters.

Switch off from the bad news - turn on a good comedy instead of the constant onslaught of bad news that the newspapers, radio and TV deliver.

What about you guys, any resolutions?

Well made a start on all of this...

Swimming lessons booked for my daughter for next week, and I'm booked for lessons at the end of January.

Going to take another course tomorrow week, and another one booked for March which will see me getting 2 more certs (if I pass!)

Going to try and book that Summer holiday by the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I've become quite reclusive over the past few years. Went 18 months without going to a nightclub and 6 months without going to a pub (and only turned 23 two weeks ago).

So this year I'm going to try and get out more. And if that means leaving the comfort of the couch and going to the pub more often for the odd sociable pint, well then I guess that's a sacrifice I'm just going to have to make! :D
    HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Definitely do as you'll regret it when you are older if you don't.

I can attest to that, you will regret it! I'm 35 and about 15 years between night club visits, and apart from a couple of work do's, about 10 for just going to the pub:eek: (although I didn't drink for about 8 of them so ...)

My resolution, go out a lot more, meet people.

You coming to the boards beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I can attest to that, you will regret it! I'm 35 and about 15 years between night club visits, and apart from a couple of work do's, about 10 for just going to the pub:eek: (although I didn't drink for about 8 of them so ...)

My resolution, go out a lot more, meet people.

You coming to the boards beers?

Wow, and there was me thinking 6 months was a long time...

I'm seriously considering boards beers, but I'll have to come up with another reason to go, like visiting friends or shopping. Two hours is a long drive just for a few pints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First driving lesson this coming Monday. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Damn it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm only starting with a shopping trolley. :pac:

If I hear tell one of these knocking around Dublin I'll assume it's you. :pac:

dark%20knight%20tumbler%20still.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Or if you see a high number of these on the road, you'll know others have heard I've started to learn how to drive..

Learning to drive is one of the most freeing things you can do.
    You can go anywhere once you can drive (within reason :D)

I went through 6 provisional licences before I passed - was driving in work about 300 miles a week, to many bad habits

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I went through 6 provisional licences before I passed - was driving in work about 300 miles a week, to many bad habits

Thought you could only get 2 provisionals? Reason I ask is that I've had two but never drove on the second one, so sucks if I can't get another. Good if I can...

The-Rigger wrote: »

Thought you could only get 2 provisionals? Reason I ask is that I've had two but never drove on the second one, so sucks if I can't get another. Good if I can...

You are allowed 2, then you have to take a test. Even if, like me you did no lessons, so were sure to fail. But once you get a letter from the test centre, you can get a third.
    That's how I managed 5 fails, no lessons. The last one, I did 2 and it was like a drive to the shops :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You are allowed 2, then you have to take a test. Even if, like me you did no lessons, so were sure to fail. But once you get a letter from the test centre, you can get a third.
    That's how I managed 5 fails, no lessons. The last one, I did 2 and it was like a drive to the shops :)

Kind of silly that I'd have to do a test even though I haven't sat into the driver seat in 12 years and that was on a first provisional. I'd fail before getting out of the test center.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cut out procastinating (maybe this should be first :pac: )
    I actually have a CD that stops you from procrastinating!

Have to listen to it much, though :/

I'm actually unsure of how long you must listen to it before it takes effect, but yeah, never really listened to it.

Um, probably loose the belly, and gain some muscle.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

awec wrote: »

Damn right, I couldn't survive without my car.

I used to think the same, then I bought my motorbike. :D

Having the choice is awesome! :D

On a more serious note though, once you get used to the freedom of driving, being able to go where you want to go whenever it suits you, there's no going back.

First lesson went well. :) S'all paperwork to begin with, though! Have to keep a logbook for the mandatory 12 lessons.

Advertisement