Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting a car to a commercial

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello,
    Im wondering if its ok to convert an 01 mercedes e320cdi to a commercial? Its a 7 seater estate. Im thinking of buying the merc and convert it to a van,is it against the law or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if it hasnt had vrt paid on it yet, youll be paying the full 36% on it , if its already on irish plates you can convert it but you have to destroy all the mounts for seatbelts etc so it cant be converted back

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You may have trouble taxing it if you're not using it for business

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You may have trouble taxing it if you're not using it for business

Yes if the OP is converting it just for cheap tax but doesn't have a VAT number then forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes if the OP is converting it just for cheap tax but doesn't have a VAT number then forget it.

Depends what county Op is in... Some county councils are happy to take your money for commerical tax with no fuss. Other CC s want you bring the kitchen sink in for proof....

Most CC s are making you tax it as a private based on old tax system and not on the current emissions based tax system and you will still have to get it doe d every year....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

Its already on irish plates and im a mechanic so it will be used for business. Would i be able to keep the seats and use it as a crew-cab no? And how much space do you need to have it as a commercial? I currently have an 06 mercedes vito 115cdi but the e class is a better spec with a bigger engine so i would be selling the vito.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its already on irish plates and im a mechanic so it will be used for business. Would i be able to keep the seats and use it as a crew-cab no? And how much space do you need to have it as a commercial? I currently have an 06 mercedes vito 115cdi but the e class is a better spec with a bigger engine so i would be selling the vito.

you wont keep one of them as a crewcab , you cant convert anything to a crewcab anymore , has to come from factory like that

you wont keep one of them as a crewcab , you cant convert anything to a crewcab anymore , has to come from factory like that

Ah i see thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

rip the 320 out and bang her in the vito.That'l shift then

rip the 320 out and bang her in the vito.That'l shift then

Haha the e320 has cruise control,full leather,air con and everything id rathet go to work in luxury :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

SOLELY for business use you understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

bazz26 wrote: »

You dont need a VAT number, a sole trader/company registration number is enough. You should bring proof of this registration.
    Would i be able to keep the seats and use it as a crew-cab no?

Yes, but it must be done properly, I had a Landcruiser which was retro converted into a crew cab and had €288 tax. I bought it converted, it was done by EVM in Kilbeggan iirc.
    corktina wrote: »
    SOLELY for business use you understand.

No, it can be used privately as well along with business use.

bijapos wrote: »
    You dont need a VAT number, a sole trader/company registration number is enough. You should bring proof of this registration.

Yes, but it must be done properly, I had a Landcruiser which was retro converted into a crew cab and had €288 tax. I bought it converted, it was done by EVM in Kilbeggan iirc.

So i wouldn't be able to do it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

You can do it yourself, I've just no idea of the spec involved, though some office should have it. Technically it shouldn't be too difficult.

bijapos wrote: »
    No, it can be used privately as well along with business use.

no it cant. Simple as. You are only allowed use a commercially taxed vehicle for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no it cant. Simple as. You are only allowed use a commercial for commercial purposes.

I've kind of missed this, if i wanted to get a commercial again for the business I would still have to keep my private car as I can't use the business vehicle for private use??.
    I have vat numbers, x amount of employees etc. I was just thinking of changing the car to a commercial jeep. I don't need 2 vehicles.

You never have been allowed to use it privately...its just that they are starting to enforce it now.

see declartion form here.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,23874,en.pdf

I've kind of missed this, if i wanted to get a commercial again for the business I would still have to keep my private car as I can't use the business vehicle for private use??.
    I have vat numbers, x amount of employees etc. I was just thinking of changing the car to a commercial jeep. I don't need 2 vehicles.

You'd be able to get rid of the car and get a commercial jeep and use it for business and private use as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

no it cant. Simple as. You are only allowed use a commercial for commercial purposes.

Not true.

The following, however, is the case
    You are only allowed use a commercial for commercial purposes, if it is taxed commercially. Tax the vehicle privately then you can use it for commercial and private purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah so I was always breaking the law when I had a commercial then. The only difference is somebody might try and pull me on it now.
    It seems a bit daft that I have to park up a commercial after work and use a different vehicle. As I said I don't need 2 cars and to ask anyone in business to have 2 just for the sake of going somewhere outside of work is daft, Are they actually enforcing this law or is it just another one for the sake of it.

I don't know how they could prove you weren't working anyway, I always have things in the boot work related.

Gophur wrote: »
    Not true.

The following, however, is the case

If its not taxed as a commercial its not a commercial. Therefore what I said iss correct, but to satuisfy the pedant in you I'll edit it.

• Advertisement

You'd be able to get rid of the car and get a commercial jeep and use it for business and private use as far as i know

no ive already shown that you cant legally do that.

Ah so I was always breaking the law when I had a commercial then. The only difference is somebody might try and pull me on it now.
    It seems a bit daft that I have to park up a commercial after work and use a different vehicle. As I said I don't need 2 cars and to ask anyone in business to have 2 just for the sake of going somewhere outside of work is daft, Are they actually enforcing this law or is it just another one for the sake of it.

I don't know how they could prove you weren't working anyway, I always have things in the boot work related.

"I’m going to buy a boat… do a little travelling, and I’m going to be drinking beer " you need Nautical tax on that, and you cant use ti for watersking if you do....and of course the beer is out too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Remove rear seats.
    Remove rear seat belts.
    Plug seat belt anchor holes with plastic putty.
    Fit floor.
    DOE.
    Tax.
    Drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

no it cant. Simple as. You are only allowed use a commercially taxed vehicle for commercial purposes.

strictly speaking the above is correct but it depends on enforcement the converted merc could look a bit dodgy because it is unusual and might run in to trouble

Advertisement