Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to get a decent Focus for around 5k

• 13-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Looking around online for a nice Focus (petrol), Mk2 style would be my target but they are really holding their prices. There is not much difference in prices between an 2004-2007 models. All around 8-10k. Looks like they are suffering from Golf syndrome.

Even on the second hand market they are rare enough, people are holding on to them and those who are selling are charging top rate for them too.

Anything else decent that would be worth going for in the 5k range? Might by able to push it to 6 if it's a really good buy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

this seems to be a good buy i think

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2339632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd forget the 1.4 mk2. It couldn't pull the skin of milk. It's a heavy car and lacks power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd love to go for a 1.6, don't mind the tax, but I'm going to get slated with the insurance even though I'm 25 as it will be my first car. Just don't want a shopping trolley or look like a typical skanger boy racer. Just something decent, respectable and reliable. I won't be doing enough kms for a diesel.

It's a toughy.

I started in a skip of a polo. Great nippy little 1ltr cars. I had it for 3 years and didn't have much trouble with it. I'm not telling you what to do with your money but maybe consider a cheaper run about to get used to the roads in.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭krank

Would you consider a SEAT? I own an older Cordoba. Not nice on the motorways but on backroads it's a lot of fun to drive. Everyone I know who owns one from an Ibiza to a Leon loves them. Reliability.....on mine, although the engine has never given an ounce of trouble the electronics are banjaxed. The person I know with a Leon has never had it in for anything past a regular service. The newer Cordoba's are nice too and should be within your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I'd love to go for a 1.6, don't mind the tax, but I'm going to get slated with the insurance even though I'm 25 as it will be my first car. Just don't want a shopping trolley or look like a typical skanger boy racer. Just something decent, respectable and reliable. I won't be doing enough kms for a diesel.

It's a toughy.

At 26 I got a rush of blood and bought a mk2 (2005) 1.4 Focus. I had just passed my test and traded in my 'learning car', a 1.2 corsa. The 1.2 Corsa was quicker and better going up a hill.

If you'd posted this 3 months ago I'd have sold you mine for 5k no problem, but I traded it in because I was so sick of the engine. I loved the car, the look of it, the interior. I just couldn't hack it anymore for my monthly drive from Dublin to Cork and back, or my mostly motorway and N road drive to/from work.

I'm like you, I like something sensible and reliable that I look the look of. My taste trends towards what some here would see as Dad cars (I'm now in a volvo). But trust me, that 1.4 Focus will break your heart, as will a 1.4 golf of that era.

I'm not saying you need more than a 1.4. But that engine is not good enough for that heavyish car. With 4 people in it you'll find yourself going into first gear at times on hills. I once drove it up to the sally gap with 3 passengers and it was a struggle to keep it moving at any pace.

A good rule of thumb for mainstream cars in Ireland is don't go for the smallest engine. I now have a Volvo s40 with a 1.8 engine in it. It's adequately powered, and I gave the 1.6 a miss because of my experience with the Focus. In fact, I didn't even bother test driving one.

I'll also shock you by telling you that I'm getting marginally better mpg in the 1.8 s40 than I did in the 1.4 focus. Further proof of it being underpowered.

That's a nice wad of cash you're spending on a car, don't put yourself in a position where you can't wait to change within a year.

Here's one for bangernomics: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2294847
    NCT'd until next May. That is the type of car I'd be looking at, once they have a bit of NCT on them and aren't bellowing smoke.

Well said Mr Derp :D. What about an Maxda RX8, serious machine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Hal1 wrote: »
    Well said Mr Derp :D.

Cheers.

There's a Ford 1.8 unit in my Volvo. If you stuck that in my Focus I'd still be driving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a toughy.

I cannot imagine there would be a world of difference in insurance costs between a 1.4 and 1.6 Focus. Have you got any quotes on a 1.6? I could see you getting frustrated quickly with a 1.4 litre Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2003 but a Zetec with reasonable mileage and well under budget.

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201108201404028

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Think he is looking for a MkII though Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

hi way tuam galway have a 04 model focus hatch with 71K 2 pre owners nct 6-12 4500 k ask for salesman fergal i bought off him last wk and saw it down there when browsing

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

We have 2005 Focus 1.4 in the family. As stated above the engine is woefully underpowered. Real shame cos its a very nice car to drive otherwise. Nice seating position, steering wheel feels good and sweet handling but everytime you come out of a corner and floor it absolutely nothing happens. No overtaking power either its more like being in a 1 litre. A buddy of mine used to have a 1.6 Mk1 Focus and it felt like a rocket.

I don't know how some cars manage to get so little power from their engines. e.g. old 1.6 Corolla versus 2.0 Golf GTI in this clip (skip to 2mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrU9xI8d8DI

Advertisement