Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

05 Vaux Astra Estate Diesel - Sell or hold on to it...

• 24-05-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have the worst piece of ****e you could ever own. I have spent I dunno how many 1,000s on it since I got it 3 years ago. I bought it privately off some Eastern Europeans who went back home soon after!!! Not saying I was stung, but..........

What I thought was a routine job turned into a €480 job again today. So, it currently has new shocks, new shock mounts, new brakes, new altenator, new seals for altenators, pumps etc. New timing belt, new radiator, new water pump. All within the last year or so.

One part of me is thinking "flog it and be done!!". Other part of me is thinking, well, it's all fairly new parts, just keep driving it till it goes no more. I'd have to deal with the hassle of selling, and I would defo try and buy off a garage next time to have some come back.

So, drive it into the ground, or get rid.........?

I wouldn't have a lot of money to play around with if I did sell, but if I had put an extra 3 or 4K into a car instead of buying it at the time, I wouldn't be having these issues now......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If there's nothing wrong with it now, I think it'd be crazy to get rid after putting all that work into it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

True, that's what I am thinking, but it's like every time I go to the mechanice, it's never a small job, it's always hundreds at a time........
    what else can go wrong with it........ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's impossible to advise you without seeing the car. Did you have a mechanic examine this car prior to purchase? Did you check out the service history? Did you run a history check? If not (and i'm guessing not) then those, rather than buying privately, were your mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rocksimmo

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I currently have the worst piece of ****e you could ever own. I have spent I dunno how many 1,000s on it since I got it 3 years ago. I bought it privately off some Eastern Europeans who went back home soon after!!! Not saying I was stung, but..........

What I thought was a routine job turned into a €480 job again today. So, it currently has new shocks, new shock mounts, new brakes, new altenator, new seals for altenators, pumps etc. New timing belt, new radiator, new water pump. All within the last year or so.

One part of me is thinking "flog it and be done!!". Other part of me is thinking, well, it's all fairly new parts, just keep driving it till it goes no more. I'd have to deal with the hassle of selling, and I would defo try and buy off a garage next time to have some come back.

So, drive it into the ground, or get rid.........?

I wouldn't have a lot of money to play around with if I did sell, but if I had put an extra 3 or 4K into a car instead of buying it at the time, I wouldn't be having these issues now......

I am in the exact same boat as you. Have a 06 Vectra Diesel and have spent a fortune on it over the last year. I have did the Alternator, Flywheel, Wheel bearings, and only last week the water pump seized causing engine damage and a hefty bill of €922 to rectify. My head is telling me to hold on to it as we have done all the work but if I have to spend another penny on it I will crack up. Let us know what you decide to do. My advice would be to keep it and if it lets you down again get rid then. Hopefully you will have a bit of luck with it.

They were my mistakes. I could see the service history, and in fairness I bought it in 2008, so stuff is going to go wrong along the way. I am curses with it. Anything that ever went wrong seemed to be a big job all the time, never an "In and out" job.
    I could get a new car and be in the same situation I guess........

• Advertisement

Getting rid is another headf**K. I am tempted to literally drive it into the ground until it goes no more............

Who would buy it? I'd have to be dealing with people offering this and that etc, though I could go the trade in route. Hard to say really........I can't afford anything really good for now, so could just be putting myself in the same situation again.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

seachto7 wrote: »
    They were my mistakes. I could see the service history, and in fairness I bought it in 2008, so stuff is going to go wrong along the way. I am curses with it. Anything that ever went wrong seemed to be a big job all the time, never an "In and out" job.
    I could get a new car and be in the same situation I guess........
    Are you sure that the problem is with the car, as opposed to your mechanic?

how do you mean? Not things he would have looked out for, as he was too busy locating effing parts for what was going wrong......... :/

Advertisement