Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

body work

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I painted my car last month and after i finished i found a little dent in drivers door...or it could be where i sanded out a fly during painting anyway its an imperfection very minor but bugging me
    So my question is does the hole door need to be redone or is there a special procedure for this that might save me doing the hole door again;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

You painted your entire car yourself and now you are asking if a whole panel needs to be re resprayed or if there is a special procedure? Surely if you have the ability and balls to paint the car yourself in the first place you don't need to ask advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

robie55 wrote: »
    I painted my car last month and after i finished i found a little dent in drivers door...or it could be where i sanded out a fly during painting anyway its an imperfection very minor but bugging me
    So my question is does the hole door need to be redone or is there a special procedure for this that might save me doing the hole door again;)

I take it your talking about brush/roller painting.
    Depending on how good the rest of the finish is, you propbably need to paint the panel at least as far as the nearest seams / folds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Throw up a few pictures to generate meaningful comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 robie55

tossy wrote: »
    You painted your entire car yourself and now you are asking if a whole panel needs to be re resprayed or if there is a special procedure? Surely if you have the ability and balls to paint the car yourself in the first place you don't need to ask advice.

Advice is allways good... and is what helped me be able to paint the car myself in the first place
    if you dont want to give it thats fine.. but someone else might

I take it your talking about brush/roller painting.
    Depending on how good the rest of the finish is, you propbably need to paint the panel at least as far as the nearest seams / folds

No i sprayed it

• Advertisement

Throw up a few pictures to generate meaningful comments

wont be able to see it in picture it very minor and only noticeable when lookin along the door but heres a few pictures of how it turned out

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

No i sprayed it

Ok then, I've seen pro's spray it as far as the edges/seems of that panel and where the trim is going to go, e.g. say between the window rubbers and the door rubbing strip. Best to make sure it's the same batch of paint and spayed in the exactly same conditions / temp / manner as the last time. Keep as many of the variables as possible exactly same as the last time you done it, and you will hopefully get an almost exact match.

Looks like a good old Renault 5 ?

Advice is allways good... and is what helped me be able to paint the car myself in the first place
    if you dont want to give it thats fine.. but someone else might

Sorry didn't mean to come across as a dick :D hope you get the advice you are looking for,cool 5-er you got there,what are your plans ? restore to original or a nice engine install?

Ok then, I've seen pro's spray it as far as the edges/seems of that panel and where the trim is going to go, e.g. say between the window rubbers and the door rubbing strip. Best to make sure it's the same batch of paint and spayed in the exactly same conditions / temp / manner as the last time. Keep as many of the variables as possible exactly same as the last time you done it, and you will hopefully get an almost exact match.

Looking like hole door need redoing so because there no bump strips...matching shouldnt be a problem i have good bit of paint left over
    i wonder could you get away with just sanding the area around it and then with a finer grit sand the clear around the area you just sanded and then move out a bit further with each coat of paint and final coat of clear go edge to edge...would this stick out like a sore thumb or would it blend in...i know it would be easier to paint hole door....just dont fancy sanding the hole door again

ya its a renault 5:D

• Advertisement

Sorry didn't mean to come across as a dick :D hope you get the advice you are looking for,cool 5-er you got there,what are your plans ? restore to original or a nice engine install?

No worries;)Ya im gonna keep it all original except for under the bonnet been fitting the engine this week while i try and decide weither to fix the door

Looking like hole door need redoing so because there no bump strips...matching shouldnt be a problem i have good bit of paint left over
    i wonder could you get away with just sanding the area around it and then with a finer grit sand the clear around the area you just sanded and then move out a bit further with each coat of paint and final coat of clear go edge to edge...would this stick out like a sore thumb or would it blend in...i know it would be easier to paint hole door....just dont fancy sanding the hole door again

ya its a renault 5:D

Could be worth a try mate, you've seem to have done a great job on the rest, but now we've a few more details hopefully a pro will be along soon to give best advice.

No worries;)Ya im gonna keep it all original except for under the bonnet been fitting the engine this week while i try and decide weither to fix the door

Any clues on the lump you are fitting? Taking from the Renault family or going foreign?

Any clues on the lump you are fitting? Taking from the Renault family or going foreign?

im sticking with the old c1j lump....but with alot of work done:D hard to beat it... so cheap to tune and so easy to work on and fix

im sticking with the old c1j lump....but with alot of work done:D hard to beat it... so cheap to tune and so easy to work on and fix

Sweet keep us all updated on the build - not enough build threads around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hard to see the details in the photos, but from what you've shown us here, that's actually very impressive. I can't wait to see the end result, keep us updated please!

Owen wrote: »
    Hard to see the details in the photos, but from what you've shown us here, that's actually very impressive. I can't wait to see the end result, keep us updated please!

ill throw up a build thread in a while... is there a special thread for builds
    would love to get an answer for this problem though any painters around that could help

any painter around that could help

Oh Hai! That'd be me.

Generally, no, you really need to paint the whole door again. Having said that, what sort of paint did you use, was it waterbased with lacquer, full fat 2 pack direct gloss, or 2 pack with lacquer?

Owen wrote: »
    Oh Hai! That'd be me.

Generally, no, you really need to paint the whole door again. Having said that, what sort of paint did you use, was it waterbased with lacquer, full fat 2 pack direct gloss, or 2 pack with lacquer?
    Ha good man:D
    it was 2 pack with lacquer... got it from uk think it was debeer or somthing like that

Right, well, try to fill the affected area, if it's only a slight indent you could use something like stopper. Then small bit of primer, a bit of white where the repair was, and relacquer the entire door.

• Advertisement

excellent just what i needed to hear...do you reckon the achievable for a novice? or would you recomend doing hole door to be safe
    thanks for your help

Novice? The work you've done up there's brilliant! If you can do what's above, you can definitely fix this.

cheers....first time i ever painted something...got good practice with a gun though doing the primer as i had to do few panels twice and some 3 times and still ended up with a ding:mad:

Advertisement