Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S40 radio Problems...

• 09-06-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    I have an 05 Volvo s40 and i have a proble with the cd player in it. I think there is a CD stuck inside and it wont eject or take another in, the Volvo dealer tells me i need a new one but its €800!
    Anyone had this problem? is there such a thing as getting it repaired or basically a cheaper alternative to €800

I thought about a used one from a breakers, but would each unit be paired to each individual car?

Any help would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Is it the one with the 6 CD front loader? If so it's cr@p. I had the exact same issue. I ended up returning the car (company car at that time) with 6 CD's stuck in it as I simply could not be arsed to get it sorted.

Other than that I loved the car, but the whole radio thing still angers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Mena wrote: »
    Is it the one with the 6 CD front loader? If so it's cr@p. I had the exact same issue. I ended up returning the car (company car at that time) with 6 CD's stuck in it as I simply could not be arsed to get it sorted.

Other than that I loved the car, but the whole radio thing still angers me.

Yeah its the one with the 6 CD changer, i like the car other than that, but they went too fancy with the radio system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theduffryrover

hebejebees wrote: »
    Yeah its the one with the 6 CD changer, i like the car other than that, but they went too fancy with the radio system

Did you ever get the changer fixed? Mine stopped working before Christamas after I had to jump start the car one night! Volvo told me €800 for a new one too!
    I was going to see if I could get one from a breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Just sold my S40 on with the 6cd front loader didn't have this issue but had one where it occasionally wouldn't turn on or would be on but no sound would come out of the speakers, this only happened once a year or so.

Loved the car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 S40redT5

I am having the same problem my S40 T5 radio was playing fine. I went to the mall came back out and the radio doesn't work. I can change stations but no volume. Does any one know what I can do besides taking it back to the dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

CD player packed in a few months back. Went to dealer today to check it out. Quoted 550 euro plus 50 euro labour to fit a new one :eek:
    The S40 is 2005 and think that money would be far better spent towards a new car to be perfectly honest. Yet another example of "one step forward, two steps back" as regards moden cars and parts.
    Radio working fine so just gona leave it. Unless anybody knows of a far cheaper way? No way am spending over 600e on a cd player in a 6 year old car lol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

mfitzy wrote: »
    CD player packed in a few months back. Went to dealer today to check it out. Quoted 550 euro plus 50 euro labour to fit a new one :eek:
    The S40 is 2005 and think that money would be far better spent towards a new car to be perfectly honest. Yet another example of "one step forward, two steps back" as regards moden cars and parts.
    Radio working fine so just gona leave it. Unless anybody knows of a far cheaper way? No way am spending over 600e on a cd player in a 6 year old car lol :rolleyes:

They don't nickname them Main Stealers for nothing.
    Planned obsolescence it's called. A billion euro scam.

I'd try one of those independent car stereo places to see it they could repair it first, after that you could try eBay/breakers for a second hand one, if needs be get a car stereo place to install it for you, and then if needs be, get the dealer to re-code it for you. A bit of work in that, but it will pay you a few hundred in saving at least.

If that's no good, I'd make do with radio. CD's are another rip off anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They don't nickname them Main Stealers for nothing.
    Planned obsolescence it's called. A billion euro scam.

I'd try one of those independent car stereo places to see it they could repair it first, after that you could try eBay/breakers for a second hand one, if needs be get a car stereo place to install it for you, and then if needs be, get the dealer to re-code it for you. A bit of work in that, but it will pay you a few hundred in saving at least.

Any idea of any such places in the south east/east that do that kind of work on stereos? I'm not willing to spend mega bucks on it to be honest. Cheers for the advice man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

mfitzy wrote: »
    Any idea of any such places in the south east/east that do that kind of work on stereos? I'm not willing to spend mega bucks on it to be honest. Cheers for the advice man ;)

Sorry mate, don't know the S-E too well.
    I'm sure someone will pop along who does.
    Good luck anyways.

Advertisement