Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auschwitz liberation's 70th anniversary

Options
  • 27-01-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have just watched programme "Holocaust: Night Will Fall" - the extraordinary story of the Allied forces who filmed the terrible scenes in the Nazi concentration camps.
    It really makes you appreciate the simplest things in life. It's available on demand on channel4.com/programmes
    I wonder why some people deny the Holocaust happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

I was watching the news about Auschwitz and wondering how the holocaust could have happened when I decided to look up Auschwitz on youtube. The comments I saw on most of the videos associated with Auschwitz made me sick and left me in no doubt that all this could happen again. The amount of hate out there is frightening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Hi OP
    here is that link
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/holocaust-night-will-fall/on-demand/57245-001

there was a memorial night on bbc2 last night where they had the yougslav war on it

they made the point that it has and will happen again..

As for trolls ,the less said about them the better ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monica555

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monica555

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    I was watching the news about Auschwitz and wondering how the holocaust could have happened when I decided to look up Auschwitz on youtube. The comments I saw on most of the videos associated with Auschwitz made me sick and left me in no doubt that all this could happen again. The amount of hate out there is frightening...

I guess most of the posters are 15 years old who spent most of their live in front of PS and never read any book based on facts or watched documentary films.
    I think that books or at least films like "Schindler's List" or "Boy in Striped Pyjamas" should be compulsory for all 14-15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Saw that documentary.

Wow, no words to describe it.

Human life thrown around like waste bags.

Its so sad, but also makes me little angry. This is only 70 years old. Not a long time ago in Earth age.

Any survivor who I have watched in any film or documentary, you can see the pain in their eyes, no matter how tough they look.

For every survivour thousands suffered a hellish death.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I have visited Auschwitz and Sachenhausen and have read many books about the Nazi Regime. I still cannot understand how Germany allowed itself to be brought to those extremes of savagery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw two series on TV, think it might have been on History or Discovery History one on WW1 and another on WW2. They seem to have them on a loop system as they keep coming round again and again. I really couldn't take all the European politics in, but I think whatever financial woes Germany were in at the time all seemed to be blamed on the Jews. They just happened to be successful in business and many of them became prosperous. I think it was the era too, countries were still smarting from old wars and battles and it didn't take much to stir things up. Its quite terrifying when you had a father/grandfather out there in the thick of it.

I have been watching a series on the Rise and Fall of Japan but am finding it difficult as they mention leaders whose names I've not heard of before and can't really visualise who said or did what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

-History is written by the victors (US, UK and Russia all Zionist puppet run states).
    -the truth fears no investigation (holocaust revisionism illegal in 12 European countries)
    -Jews have a monopoly on suffering due to media domination, the tens of millions who died under Stalin's regime are seldom remembered and most people haven't even heard of Mao's genocide of 40+ million people. Many tragedies often overlooked while we get fed holocaust documentaries on a regular basis.

Smh...there are dark forces at work here and nobody can see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

random1337 wrote: »
    -

Except for a heroic truth seeker like yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

random1337 wrote: »
    -History is written by the victors (US, UK and Russia all Zionist puppet run states).
    -the truth fears no investigation (holocaust revisionism illegal in 12 European countries)
    -Jews have a monopoly on suffering due to media domination, the tens of millions who died under Stalin's regime are seldom remembered and most people haven't even heard of Mao's genocide of 40+ million people. Many tragedies often overlooked while we get fed holocaust documentaries on a regular basis.

We live in Europe, the holocaust involved the setting up of death factories like Auschwitz by Europe's biggest state (Germany) to mass murder European families.

The reason revisionism is illegal in so many European states is because there was so many racially motivated Holocaust deniers adding insult to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

<Mod>

Deleted, 2 week ban from forum, Incitement to Hatred is not welcome in this forum.
    </Mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I will hand out more ban's if I see anyone causing incitement in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

monica555 wrote: »
    I guess most of the posters are 15 years old who spent most of their live in front of PS and never read any book based on facts or watched documentary films.
    I think that books or at least films like "Schindler's List" or "Boy in Striped Pyjamas" should be compulsory for all 14-15 years old.

Does it not worry you that you want kids to learn about history by watching Hollywood "blockbusters", made up stuff?

dubhthach wrote: »
    I will hand out more ban's if I see anyone causing incitement in here.

You're dead right incitement is a terrible thing.

Neutronale wrote: »
    You're dead right incitement is a terrible thing.

Questing a moderator's decision within the forum is a bannable offense, please read the charter before you post again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Does it not worry you that you want kids to learn about history by watching Hollywood "blockbusters", made up stuff?
    "made up stuff"
    Oskar Schindler did exist. If a Hollywood film brings his activities to a wider audience then so be it. The teaching of history is so limited nowadays that any means of getting information on past events can only help

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "made up stuff"
    Oskar Schindler did exist. If a Hollywood film brings his activities to a wider audience then so be it. The teaching of history is so limited nowadays that any means of getting information on past events can only help

Obviously though these films use a lot of theatrical license, they are not reality and it is quite wrong to present them as anything other than a fictional rendering of the story.

Obviously though these films use a lot of theatrical license, they are not reality and it is quite wrong to present them as anything other than a fictional rendering of the story.

When you think about it, quite a lot of the holocaust story is vividly projected by film, it would be an interesting exercise to take away all the info we have from films and just rely on the facts :)

When you think about it, quite a lot of the holocaust story is vividly projected by film, it would be an interesting exercise to take away all the info we have from films and just rely on the facts :)

So footage recorded during the liberation of the camps etc. should not be used to form an opinion about what happened at the camps even though it is a primary source of information?

So footage recorded during the liberation of the camps etc. should not be used to form an opinion about what happened at the camps even though it is a primary source of information?

You need to read the thread, I was referring to Shindlers List type Hollywood romps rather than to film of the camps post-liberation.

• Advertisement

You need to read the thread, I was referring to Shindlers List type Hollywood romps rather than to film of the camps post-liberation.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in my previous post. You actually think that historians get their 'facts' about the holocaust from watching films like Schindler's List?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in my previous post. You actually think that historians get their 'facts' about the holocaust from watching films like Schindler's List?

Again you need to read the thread.

I think it was Monica555 who brought up Hollywood blockbusters as important for teens when learning about the holocaust. I was taking issue with that.

If you want to discuss movies take it to the relevant forum, it's not relevant to history forum.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement