Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorsports and tax

Options
  • 30-12-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Am buying a car for stockcar racing basically. Was planning to declare it off the road tax wise as it would be towed always. Her good self is nervous of this. Is it as simple as declaring it off the road or is there another way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd declare it off the road and remove the number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Most of the people I know didn't bother declaring it off the road. They just threw away the plates. I guess you are not going to put it back on the road so back tax would not be a problem.

Just one thing, you said you were planning on towing it. I hope that's towing it on a trailer. If you tow it on a rope with the wheels in contact with the tarmac, you could need motor tax (as its then "on the road"). Use a trailer to move and don't worry about tax then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ianobrien wrote: »
    Most of the people I know didn't bother declaring it off the road. They just threw away the plates. I guess you are not going to put it back on the road so back tax would not be a problem.

Just one thing, you said you were planning on towing it. I hope that's towing it on a trailer. If you tow it on a rope with the wheels in contact with the tarmac, you could need motor tax (as its then "on the road"). Use a trailer to move and don't worry about tax then.

Wheere would it stand with an A frame do you know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'd be more concerned with towing it back from a track with one of the back wheels tucked underneath from a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's using the road so needs tax and insurance. Stick it on a trailer and make sure to inform your insurance company that you'll be towing a vehicle, they didn't mind small domestic trailers on any policy I had but a car transporter is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned with towing it back from a track with one of the back wheels tucked underneath from a hit.

Very good point, never thought of that.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    It's using the road so needs tax and insurance. Stick it on a trailer and make sure to inform your insurance company that you'll be towing a vehicle, they didn't mind small domestic trailers on any policy I had but a car transporter is a different matter.

Yep, I'm ok for the bigger trailers, and have one that would hold a car but i'll have to keep an eye out for a car transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Keep an eye on Dungdeal under the Motors/Rally cars also for car transporters. Some rally boys would be selling bits and reuse rally car & parts ads.

Advertisement