Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I would guess Alfa would just be a rebadged Ferrari engine for Haas. I doubt the FIAT group are going to run and finance a second team.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

AMKC wrote: »
    http://formulaspy.com/

I find this site very good and always up to date on whats happening in F1

Plus it's run by a Boardsie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

FYI Sky Sports F1 channel is off air now until 6th Jan. F1 child fan in s sulk here wondering what to watch on tv over the Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's always videos of classic races on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Zcott wrote: »
    Not sure about the yellow livery these days. And who can forget this?

renault_08_r28_launch_2.jpg

These guys knew how to rock a yellow livery
    Fisichella_1997_Italy_01_PHC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Gintonious wrote: »
    If any of you want to subject yourself to some horror, here is Hamiltons music for you to enjoy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/hear-lewis-hamiltons-first-songs/

Stick with driving pal, its safer for all of us.

Jesus H Christ that is horrendous! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

If any of you want to subject yourself to some horror, here is Hamiltons music for you to enjoy.

Mods - Can this link be removed as a matter urgency from boards...from the internet if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I did bloody warn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The owner of the car he hit in Monaco may beg to differ!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

An article about DRS Mechanism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not sure if there is any truth in this... I guess we will find out tomorrow!

https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/677535714096128000

• Registered Users Posts: 30,038 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

HighLine wrote: »

Could be bad news if they're taking over BBCs races and coverage, would probably be more trimmed down plus ads. Although if they had all races live it would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just saw an article about this on the broadcast now website. You might have to register to the site to read it though.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/itv-to-step-in-as-bbc-backs-out-of-f1/5098163.article?blocktitle=Top-Stories&contentID=2298

An alternative article for you to read is available here.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/itv-linked-with-shock-new-f1-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭kksaints

Could be bad news if they're taking over BBCs races and coverage, would probably be more trimmed down plus ads. Although if they had all races live it would be better

The BBC is cutting down on the amount it is spending on sports and ITV have more money to spend since they have lost the Champions League coverages to BT so a deal would make sense.

Would definitely be better alright if they had all the races live but the adverts used to be so annoying. I remember one year they went to an ad break towards the last lap of a race and an inevitable sh*t storm of complaints ensued.

I'll be gutted if they change the team. The BBC coverage and commentators are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'll be gutted if they change the team. The BBC coverage and commentators are fantastic.

I honestly find Coulthard beyond boring. McNish isn't much better. What is it about Scotsmen and F1. I'm sure DiResta's engineer used to fall asleep listening to him.

EJ is great but Suzy isn't a patch on Jake Humphrey. I miss Gary Anderson too.

If Sky lose the rights, then there will be some good talent from there freed up from a behind and front of camera perspective but for the main commentator, I'd love to see (hear) Tiff Needell get it. The best motor racing voice since Murray Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,980 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I honestly find Coulthard beyond boring. McNish isn't much better. What is it about Scotsmen and F1. I'm sure DiResta's engineer used to fall asleep listening to him.

EJ is great but Suzy isn't a patch on Jake Humphrey. I miss Gary Anderson too.

I think EJ is an embarrassing fool. Most of what he talks about is the lowest common denominator story of the moment with no regard for reality. Usually Hamilton-Rosberg rubbish, ensuring to take the most controversial position.

Agree about Anderson but how can you say Coulthard is boring and Anderson not? They both talk about the technical details while Eddie is spitting 1000 predictions a weekend and claiming to always be right when one of his predictions works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

#BringBackJonathonLegard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm wondering if James Allen would gain his commentary slot again if this is the case. Him and Coulthard as the main line up perhaps?

Allen has been doing the FP2 five live broadcast for the last few years. I don't mind him, better than Legard anyway!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

I was joking about Legard obviously but I can't stand Allen. I'd like to see Edwards and Coulthard continue as a team. There's no BS with them like the Sky team, Croft does my head in with his screaming at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know Cartoon_Head. I think Allen is much better now than he was back during his ITV days. He's kinda calmed down.

I don't have Sky so what matters to me is what Setanta have as their commentary feed.

Could you imagine ITV doing the world commentary feed and then going to a break mid-race? If it wasn't planned right it would make a farce of the programming in the respective countries. Here's hoping that ITV, if they get the rights, do it proper!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

He's fine on Practice but I do think that he is still likely to get carried away with himself during the race itself, very much like David Croft when he got the top job. Then again, a lot of Crofts act is probably down to Sky.

Interesting point about the world feed though, I wonder who supplied it during ITV's last run? Maybe they will cut the ads out or reduce the number since Sky don't show any.

You know, I wouldn't mind the ads if it meant I didn't miss anything but instead watched the race on a gradual time delay so that it ends 20 mins or so after the live race is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

A gradual time delay wouldn't work for anyone who uses live timing or use Twitter, etc alongside watching the race.

I think ITV provided the world feed commentary, Allen and Brundle just kept taking during the breaks for the benefit of the countries that didn't have breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Would definitely be better alright if they had all the races live but the adverts used to be so annoying. I remember one year they went to an ad break towards the last lap of a race and an inevitable sh*t storm of complaints ensued.

I think that was the 2005 San Marino GP.

Better yet was when they spoiled the result of one of the races they were showing on replay at around lunchtime.

I'm not sure what race it was but let's say it was Japan.

The continuity announcer was introducing the show and said something to the effect of "and now and ITV it's time for a replay of the Japanese Grand Prix which Lewis Hamilton won earlier today".

Suffice to say, there were one or two complaints about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Better yet was when they spoiled the result of one of the races they were showing on replay at around lunchtime.

I'm not sure what race it was but let's say it was Japan.

The continuity announcer was introducing the show and said something to the effect of "and now and ITV it's time for a replay of the Japanese Grand Prix which Lewis Hamilton won earlier today".

Suffice to say, there were one or two complaints about that.

I had that race recorded on video tape. Actually got up during the race but had to wait for it to end to start watching it. Could have put the table through the TV when she said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to Setanta, now that it's under new ownership there's probably no guarantee that Formula 1 features in future plans. If ITV increases it's fee for World feed commentary then Eir might just pull the plug. Sky wouldn't give a rival their commentary especially when Sky Sports F1 operates in Ireland. Instead they may, like they are going to do with Saturday premiership matches which will be available in Ireland only, simulcast F1 on a Sky Sports channel available to Virgin and Eir customers.

Channel 4 to take over from BBC... didn't see that one coming. Unfortunately not all races live again. But they also say no ad breaks during live coverage which is good!

"Channel 4 and Formula One™ agree new three-year deal for 2016-2018

Channel 4 to broadcast 10 races per season live – with highlights of all 21 races"

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-becomes-terrestrial-home-of-formula-1

• Advertisement

Thats a surprise. Good to hear there will be no breaks. Any info on commentators/team in the above link? No access in work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement