Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its all smoke and daggers as Bertie would say.

You could write 'Powered by Mr Fusion' on the side of the car, but its still a below par Renault unit. And now their resources will be split between RB and a works team. It will not go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

I don't see the problem with the resources, cause they have anyway just 25 tokens and five engines per year. Only a decade ago, they would use 2-3 engines per car per weekend. So where is the resource problem suddenly coming from? In the worst case a team has to wait five more races until they get the newest parts on the car. In a title challenge this might become a problem, when the works team is fighting against the B Team, but to be realistic, it doesn't look like this would happen next year anyway. In fact same situation as this year with Red Bull and Torro Rosso, just next year RB and Lotus.
    I think Ron Dennis vetoed Honda also, because it would take pressure from Honda away if Red Bull constantly beats McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Back in the late nineties Renault supplied both Williams and their own Bennetton team with equal works engines, no reason to think it won't happen now with Lotus and Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

flazio wrote: »
    Back in the late nineties Renault supplied both Williams and their own Bennetton team with equal works engines, no reason to think it won't happen now with Lotus and Red Bull.

Renault didn't own the Benetton team in the 90s. They pulled out of the sport entirely after 1997, and only bought the team when they returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sky Sports are stuck for a story and Mercedes are willing to invent one for them.

The idea of dropping one of two employees with mulit-million, multi year contracts, is ridiculous.

I'm bring it up not because its worth discussing, but because it does no credit to the sport when they invent stories like this like just to have something to talk about. Better to stay silent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Saw this on BBC F1 gossip

"Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn hints that the team may not retain Lotus drivers Pastor Maldonado and Jolyon Palmer following the French manufacturer's takeover this week. (Le Figaro - in French) "

Might be interesting.

Another Alonso partnership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

T-Bird wrote: »
    Saw this on BBC F1 gossip

"Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn hints that the team may not retain Lotus drivers Pastor Maldonado and Jolyon Palmer following the French manufacturer's takeover this week. (Le Figaro - in French) "

Might be interesting.

The offending sentence:

But when asked by Le Figaro if there will be a Frenchman at the wheel of a works Renault in 2016, Ghosn answered: "We will wait a few weeks.

"I refer to a meeting in January 2016, when we will explain the organisation, goals, strategy and we will also talk about drivers and partners," he added.

They probably could drop them as Palmer and Maldonado probably have contracts with Lotus, and not Renault. Still, wouldn't be good PR...

Zcott wrote:
    They probably could drop them as Palmer and Maldonado probably have contracts with Lotus, and not Renault. Still, wouldn't be good PR...

If they can make do without Maldonado's money they could drop him and get a half decent driver instead. Seemslike a sound lad but a loose canon on a race track. It's not even hard racing, it's constantly going for gaps that don't exist and lack of awareness of other cars.

He brings a crazy amount of PDVSA money though. There might be a $40 million swing between losing his sponsorship money, and paying Alonso instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd love to see Alonso jump ship. But then again, the way his luck is, if he does that Button will be world champion next year...

Maldonado and Palmer bring substantial sponsorship money with them and the next two years they will anyway just build up and modernise their factory so it makes no sense to replace those drivers except they have own sponsorship money lined up. But I can see them signing up Vergne as driver for 2017.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd love to see Alonso jump ship. But then again, the way his luck is, if he does that Button will be world champion next year...
    Are you expecting some grave misfortune to befall every non-McLaren driver on the grid that prevents them from racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It would be sweet if Renault could run a livery like this next year:

Renault-1979-GP-Spanien-Jarama-F1-fotoshowImage-25571d44-899797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It would be sweet if Renault could run a livery like this next year:

Renault-1979-GP-Spanien-Jarama-F1-fotoshowImage-25571d44-899797.jpg

Not sure about the yellow livery these days. And who can forget this?

renault_08_r28_launch_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

I hope they get back with 2010 colors

Robert_Kubica_2010_Australia_(cropped).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

hrtd151206022H-941x529.jpg

Alonso going for 2 wheels instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Zcott wrote: »
    Not sure about the yellow livery these days. And who can forget this?

renault_08_r28_launch_2.jpg

I think Renault should go for the colours they had in 2005 and 2006. Beautiful cars they were.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think they go yellow and black, similar to the Twizy : expect this to be the basis of the their new F1 car!!

twizyrear.jpg

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ms

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raceshots/5524612420

I think Renault should go for these colours. Beautiful car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I do find it a bit funny that teams have to decide what tyres they want for Australia before Dec 17th
    Teams could really get stuck for a few races if they have to pick tyres three months in advance
    http://planetf1.com/news/hembery-explains-tyre-deadline/

I saw an article on crashnet.com which said Shell are claiming 0.5 seconds of speed over Petronas from the fuel technology. I had no idea fuel could be so important. Wolfe appeared to accept that Shell is ahead of Petronas, but not by the full half second. I presume honda and mobile 1 are a year behind the rest.

Does anyone know where Total are in the pecking order?

• Advertisement

When Mercedes did their engine upgrade in Monza a lot was made of how the upgrade was aimed at getting the best from a new fuel. So it seems to tightly linked

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/9983506/fuelling-f1s-battle-for-engine-supremacy-in-2015

When Mercedes did their engine upgrade in Monza a lot was made of how the upgrade was aimed at getting the best from a new fuel. So it seems to tightly linked

Maybe there are real world benefits to that type of development outside of F1. Sounds like a waste of money and an additional cost to designing engines though.

Would it make more sense to use fuel similar to normal road petrol, and developed the technology around that which would have more transferable use in road cars?

Does anyone read crash.net? I've found some interesting articles recently and they don't centre their coverage around the sensational, Hamilton-Rosberg stories.

Where else is a reliable source of news?

autosport.com
    jamesallenonf1.com
    motorsport.com
    https://joesaward.wordpress.com/

also there are good facebook pages that link usually to good articles and have good own content: Badgergp, rachf1, i am a die hard f1 fan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

^^those and planetf1.net. That and Motorsport.com are my most visited.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Planetf1.com would be my default
    But end up on the other sites too
    BBC F1 news or Sky sometimes too

Ms

http://formulaspy.com/

I find this site very good and always up to date on whats happening in F1

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I had signed up to be notified when tickets for the 2016 Monaco GP go on sale. Got the email this afternoon saying they were now available. I went straight into the official F1 ticket site and I see certain areas are already sold out. I had wanted 3 tickets in the Grandstand Z1. Tickets are only 120eur for race day which is great value compared to all other grandstands there. But they are all gone!

Anyone know how they are already sold out? Is there a way to pre order that I may have missed out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If any of you want to subject yourself to some horror, here is Hamiltons music for you to enjoy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/hear-lewis-hamiltons-first-songs/

Stick with driving pal, its safer for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Alfa Romeo could make return to F1.

I would love to see Alfa Romeo back in F1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement