Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2015: Round 19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fairly fitting that the season finale was a borefest. Good riddance to that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well maybe the driver interviews will be good :pac:

Whos doing them today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

That interview Kravitz did with Lauda annoyed the **** out of me. How come he wasn't asking questions like that when it was Hamilton leading Rosberg home? I know a British channel is going to support and focus on a British driver, but a small bit of impartiality wouldn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very strange approach to the second pitstops by Merc..."We're exteneding this stint Lewis"....seems utterly bizarre considering Lewis had hauled Nico in from nearly seven seconds ahead and was just within DRS...only for Nico to pit & then start taking lumps out of Lewis's time. They utterly neutralised his race, because this is a track you can pass at...so being a second or two behind Nico on the same tires would have meant it was all to play for.

I've been an advocate of Merc over the years, but I have to be honest and say that after this race I feel there's a bit more management of the situation going on than we're aware of. They'd the constructors wrapped up, the drivers championship wrapped up, & they're still telling Lewis to turn the engines down near the end etc, "or we'll tell Nico to turn his up"....hmm, consider my eyebrows raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

^^ Wasn't it Lewis though who was coming on the radio saying his tyres were still good and that he wanted to stay out for a few laps more? 100% agree it was the wrong thing to do however.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    ^^ Wasn't it Lewis though who was coming on the radio saying his tyres were still good and that he wanted to stay out for a few laps more? 100% agree it was the wrong thing to do however.

That was after a good while of being out, they radio'd him way before that just after Nico stopped and told him they were extending the stint. It didn't seem to be a decision that involved him. He was unusually compliant in defeat today too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Crackle wrote: »
    That interview Kravitz did with Lauda annoyed the **** out of me. How come he wasn't asking questions like that when it was Hamilton leading Rosberg home? I know a British channel is going to support and focus on a British driver, but a small bit of impartiality wouldn't hurt.

You should watch BBC when its live. You missed out on some epic Toto Wolf today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is one race where I couldn't be arsed watching anything live.

I didn't bother watching, don't know how many I've actually bothered with this season.

Does anyone know what this means?
    Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has been talking to Suzi, Eddie and David and told them that his team have an engine agreement in place for next year and he hopes it will be announced in the next week.

He then adds, intriguingly: "I don't think Ron Dennis will be very happy."

A Red Bull-Honda? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

They really need to make big changes in this sport to get viewers back. I'd say even the spectators won't bother next season.
    The commentators are finding it tough too trying their best to make it sound exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

Basil3 wrote: »
    I didn't bother watching, don't know how many I've actually bothered with this season.

Does anyone know what this means?

Q: Christian, coming to you, you were quoted this morning as saying that you know now for sure what engine you are going to use next year, but clearly no announcement yet, so what's holding that up?

Christian Horner: Well, we have and agreement in place for next year, so it's great news that we will be on the grid next year, but unfortunately due to circumstance beyond our control we can't announce exactly what that is. Perhaps Toto can tell you?

Toto?

Toto Wolff: Can I?

From the friday press conference, Christian is basically trolling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

What a fitting end to the season (both boring). Think I might switch to a more exciting sport, such as cricket....

Is there any hope for 2016? What are the changes agreed for the next season?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very strange approach to the second pitstops by Merc..."We're exteneding this stint Lewis"....seems utterly bizarre considering Lewis had hauled Nico in from nearly seven seconds ahead and was just within DRS...only for Nico to pit & then start taking lumps out of Lewis's time. They utterly neutralised his race, because this is a track you can pass at...so being a second or two behind Nico on the same tires would have meant it was all to play for.

I've been an advocate of Merc over the years, but I have to be honest and say that after this race I feel there's a bit more management of the situation going on than we're aware of. They'd the constructors wrapped up, the drivers championship wrapped up, & they're still telling Lewis to turn the engines down near the end etc, "or we'll tell Nico to turn his up"....hmm, consider my eyebrows raised.

Ah in fairness they've been doing it for the second half of the season at least, if there's a way to keep them separate on the track they've been doing it since the title picture was clear.

Ah in fairness they've been doing it for the second half of the season at least, if there's a way to keep them separate on the track they've been doing it since the title picture was clear.

Why though, I can understand it if there was a title at stake, but both titles have long since been wrapped up. What happened to "we allow our guys to race"? Keeping Lewis out for so long after Nico's second stop nullified any hope of a battle up front, and I find it weird why Lewis wasn't on the radio going ballistic about it. He had done the hard work and zapped Nico's near 7 second lead, so why let a round of pitstops end the battle? Why not let Lewis pit directly after Nico, and let the two of them hammer it out for the final race, considering there's nothing left to win & it's the last race of the season....

Why though, I can understand it if there was a title at stake, but both titles have long since been wrapped up. What happened to "we allow our guys to race"? Keeping Lewis out for so long after Nico's second stop nullified any hope of a battle up front, and I find it weird why Lewis wasn't on the radio going ballistic about it. He had done the hard work and zapped Nico's near 7 second lead, so why let a round of pitstops end the battle? Why not let Lewis pit directly after Nico, and let the two of them hammer it out for the final race, considering there's nothing left to win & it's the last race of the season....

They're just all about points, they're not there to entertain, however much Toto may smile while being interviewed.

It's simple. Keep Nico happy, and make him think he has a chance next year.

They're just all about points, they're not there to entertain, however much Toto may smile while being interviewed.

They've let the guys race in the past though, and at this stage points don't matter. Messing about with pitstops, ordering drivers to turn down engines etc all in the last race with nothing on the line is poor form. Let them race, otherwise people are going to be justified in feeling robbed of a battle (which we were). How Lewis wasn't on the radio screaming to come in two laps after Nico is beyond me.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    It's simple. Keep Nico happy, and make him think he has a chance next year.

Nico beat Lewis fair & square in Mexico, where Lewis pushed as hard as he could. So that line of thinking is a little unfair to Nico, however, the decisions of this race would make you wonder...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They've let the guys race in the past though, and at this stage points don't matter. Messing about with pitstops, ordering drivers to turn down engines etc all in the last race with nothing on the line is poor form. Let them race, otherwise people are going to be justified in feeling robbed of a battle (which we were). How Lewis wasn't on the radio screaming to come in two laps after Nico is beyond me.

Points did matter today though - if they got a 1-2 finish then they would break the record for most points in a season and also equal most wins in a season (16) - or so the chaps on Sky were saying anyway. A 1-3 finish wouldn't have gotten them the points record. It was still a bit puzzling though.

Merc just want to get their name as high as possible in the record books while the going is good - they know full well it won't last. Robbed us of a potential fight of course.

Advertisement