Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We are trying to redress the balance in the league as Pats do nothing else but hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof the ball forward. Of course mahon would have us all believe that pats play good attractive football.

And its 3 midfielders B!tch:p

We did the fancy football thing for a bit came 2nd a lot, looked nice Ndo Fahey and Keane etc: . Rovers have it mastered it tho top of the league with "cultural" football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dreamers75 wrote: »
    /Onto the rumours Gannon wont be ploughing money into Fingal next season due to his umm other financial commitments. So firesale? Anyone want 4 fancy midfielders who dont actually play the ball forward but are easy on the eye? Do Rovers have enough midfielders?

Believe Crowe is subject to a bidding war between Roma and Mizzonis.
    I was wondering why I wasn't seeing Fingal linked to any of the players. Do you think there is truth in that rumour? I'd expected them to be the main beneficiaries of the Phibsborough exodus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

4676924-Sports_Travel-Ireland.jpg

Winter football :pac:

Has its benefits, but it has its drawbacks too (see above). Nothing like a night on the terraces in Morton or Carlisle to change our minds about it, I like going to the odd match in a pair of shorts. The atmosphere used to be great under floodlights though.

frantic190 wrote: »
    4676924-Sports_Travel-Ireland.jpg

Winter football :pac:

Summer football :pac:

Your points here are seriously winning me over :pac:

That was a bad day alright :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Looking out at the weather tonight, I shudder to think about attendances and the quality of pitches if we were only 10 games in to a LOI season. Let's face it, most teams struggle to put a passing movement together on a calm dry evening, let alone on a wet windy one.

Summer football gives a chance for families to attend a game together (and so introduce the next generation to the beautiful game), whereas winter football only attracts the hardened supporter.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Looking out at the weather tonight, I shudder to think about attendances and the quality of pitches if we were only 10 games in to a LOI season. Let's face it, most teams struggle to put a passing movement together on a calm dry evening, let alone on a wet windy one.

Summer football gives a chance for families to attend a game together (and so introduce the next generation to the beautiful game), whereas winter football only attracts the hardened supporter.

So after 7 years why are our(i means everyones Rovers the anomally here granted) attendances lower than when we began? Why are the kids that actually go the ones of the parents who were going there anyway?

Clubs are trying http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=4025 sure others have the same things going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaysus, the Morton in December!!! :eek:

My only hope would be that it would be too cold to rain!!

I'd still go though!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Morton in December!!! :eek:

My only hope would be that it would be too cold to rain!!

I'd still go though!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Been there and outnumbered the home support there :pac::D Was many years ago, my fondest memory is Marcus Hallows skins 2 defenders on the edge of the box hes tru one on one, drifts wide of the onrushing keeper with some serious sublime skill, then runs into the ****ing post nearly knocking himself un ****ing concsious. Rovers win 2-1 and i start to hate that ****ing elvis impersonsator. Oh how how happy i was when told we we siging Sligos goal machine believing it to be Padraig Moran. Oh how unhappy i was when Hallows modelled a jersey

Hallows = Waste of a pair of football boots.

Marcus_hallows.jpg

his actual job at 29.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Summer football has cost every club attendances (even rovers :eek: )

??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I could bet that you'll find a lot more examples in Winter than Summer than just one..

Drogheda last week at Tallaght
    Pats first game at Tallaght
    Jaguars game at Tallaght last season
    Bray away pre-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Should probably be seperate threads for the whole summwer/winter season argument and actual LoI rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

So after 7 years why are our(i means everyones Rovers the anomally here granted) attendances lower than when we began? Why are the kids that actually go the ones of the parents who were going there anyway?
    Because facilities, generally, are not up to the standard the public require these days. But inferior facilities are more tolerable in June than they are in January

At the end of the day, something extra is needed to push the matches out to families/kids/newbs and summer football helps that.

Certainly in Tallaght it has.

Some can laugh and say the hardcore like winter football and that who wants new blood but you know....do we want to attract new people to the league or not. I'm not even talking about ingrained barstoolers, but families, kids and younger supporters that drop in and end up getting what it's all about like has happened in Tallaght

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I definitely want to stick with summer football

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

One of the Fingal forwards is most likely leaving at the end of season and is in discussions about playing overseas. Info direct from the horses mouth, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yes.

Everyone got more before it. Product hasnt changed.
    Have you any actual proof of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I can't see why people would want to change back to a winter league, what benefits has it got going for it? Despite things not being great right now, I think winter football would just make things even worse, there's a fat chance of someone whos never gone to a LoI game going on a night where its minus 5 outside or lashing rain.

We have performed better in Europe since the change (maybe coincidence), but why risk going backwards? It's also nice to still have football on during the summer when all other leagues are over. I just cannot see why we would change back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Paulw wrote: »
    One of the Fingal forwards is most likely leaving at the end of season and is in discussions about playing overseas. Info direct from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Ah im sure he will do well in the Libyan league.

More than likely Crowe will be gone and apparently Gary O'Neill still hasn't been offered a new deal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Looks like Dundalk will have a good squad next year:
    Wayne Hatswell
    Ross Gaynor
    Daniel Kearns
    Simon Madden
    Dean Bennett
    Stephen Maher
    Peter Cherrie

All re-signed. Would It be fair to say they're their best 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Ah im sure he will do well in the Libyan league.

More than likely Crowe will be gone and apparently Gary O'Neill still hasn't been offered a new deal yet.

Yeah. It has to be Zayed. Fingal and Zayed never quite fit. He was always in and out of the team and a lot of the time looked un-interested. Thats said he was easily on of the best finishers iv seen in the league and would constantly score with his first chance on goal. Not a total loss but I guess it depends on who we get to replace him.

Conor Powell has left the club, perhaps the rumour he is going to Pats is true. He left along with Killian Brennan, Jason Byrne, Mark Quigley, Mark Rossiter and Jason McGuinness.

Jason McGuiness
    Killian Brennan
    Mark Rossiter
    Mark Quigley
    Anto Murphy
    Jason Byrne
    Connor Powell

All released from Bohs.
    We have 8-12 players contracted for next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Fenlon content to stay"

I'm sure he is and let's not have any silly talk of any kind of pay cut either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't know. He could easily get a job across the water where he would'nt have the hassle of working with a severly reduced squad and budget.

Sure Bohs could always take Roddy back.:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I expect Fenlon to apply anywhere and everywhere, can't see him staying and probably for the best (financially) if he doesn't

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I expect Fenlon to apply anywhere and everywhere, can't see him staying and probably for the best (financially) if he doesn't

Roddy - waiting pensively beside the phone, yesterday.

_41303336_roddy_collins_203.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Nothing a bit of plastering won't solve there, love.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Roddy - waiting pensively beside the phone, yesterday.

"Sorry Mr. Delaney, we've appointed Roddy, so relegation is obviously not possible"

• Advertisement

Fenlon owed a few quid there prolly best for him to say nowt for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Rumours of Conor Kenna joining rovers are gathering pace.

Meanwhile, Dave McAllister has apparently told Rovers to **** off as he wants to stay in Inchicore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

BOHtox wrote: »
    Looks like Dundalk will have a good squad next year:
    Wayne Hatswell
    Ross Gaynor
    Daniel Kearns
    Simon Madden
    Dean Bennett
    Stephen Maher
    Peter Cherrie

All re-signed. Would It be fair to say they're their best 7.

Dean Bennett isn't all that great. Not sure why he was re-signed. Two of our better players Faz Kuduzovic and Tom Miller haven't re-signed and are looking to try their hands abroad. The other 6 there that have re-signed are key for us though.

Neither of our centre backs (Gary Breen and Liam Burns) have re-signed yet so it's unclear what's happening in this vital part of the team. Burns held out for a better contract this time last year so wouldn't be surprised if he's playing hard ball again this year. Would love to see McGuinness from Bohs sign for us.

Rumours of Conor Kenna joining rovers are gathering pace.

Hasnt signed for either of us, but would assume whoever pays him over the winter will get him (he did turn us down for more money at drogs last season) see no reason why he wouldnt again. He better sort it by the POTY night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

If he wins POTY i'd like to think he'd stay :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I heard a few good ones today -

Fingal are to play in Dalymount next season, not Morton.
    Fingal are short of funds due to Nama and Gannon, so the team will be part-time.
    Fingal are out of money so the club won't exist next season at all.
    Fingal have found a new backer for next season and are already looking at some new players.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

You say that as if they were jokes and there's nothing to be worried about... Except the last one, that's obviously in there for comedic effect :pac:

man-with-head-in-sand.gif&t=1

I'd have money on Morton not hosting any Fingal games next season, for starters.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-2010-2402168.html

Mac Allister should be on the ones to watch list.

Banner of the year.....yay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

172 Total goals conceded by Galway clubs Mervue United and Salthill Devon in the First Division over the course of the league campaign

Thats a pretty depressing stat for those clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Töpher wrote: »
    You say that as if they were jokes and there's nothing to be worried about... Except the last one, that's obviously in there for comedic effect :pac:

man-with-head-in-sand.gif&t=1

I'd have money on Morton not hosting any Fingal games next season, for starters.

Forget Paddy Powers, i'll take your money on that one :)

Thats a pretty depressing stat for those clubs.

They bring nothing to the league and the three Galway clubs should merge. Then promote Cobh and X. Creating new clubs to fill the spaces in the A championship. Maybe a Kildare team or Kerry or or north Cork or Clare or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

They bring nothing to the league and the three Galway clubs should merge.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

the three Galway clubs should merge.

That will never happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

They bring nothing to the league and the three Galway clubs should merge.

Not a hope, Salthill and Mervue are the biggest clubs in town.

There already was a Kildare team.

• Advertisement

There already was a Kildare team.

I know, but it was in Newbridge. I would put the new one in Naas.

What would a matter of a few miles achieve ?

What would a matter of a few miles achieve ?

3,000 more people in the town+bigger surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why would you want to parachute another made up franchise team into the league ahead of teams that have been around for years?

If they didnt travel a few miles down the road, then they wont when its on their door step. If they supported Kildare county then they would have come from all over the county and not just Newbridge and Naas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement