Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Zcott wrote: »
    Honda's racing colour is white, and I'd love to see a white F1 car again. Last one was probably the Brawn that took Button to the title?
    Which actually had a Mercedes engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Always thought the Toyotas were horrible. Looked like a child painted them. :p

Similar colours but I thought the Super Aguri in 08 looked great.

f1-bahrain-gp-2008-takuma-sato-super-aguri-f1-sa08-leads-anthony-davidson-super-aguri-f1-t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Seeing Sato behind the wheel of the Super Aguri reminds me of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So EJ is off to Top Gear with Joey & Chris...

Myrddin wrote: »

Source?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

EJ - ugh, would put me off watching it. It's so much better watching F1 on Sky as you don't have to hear his ramblings.

Red / white - I always quite liked the Toyota. The paintwork was a bit "splashy" so a better job could be done with it, to make it more solid. The Super Aguri looks horrible.

Sato - seeing Sato makes me wonder whatever happened to Kobayashi's F1 career?

EJ - ugh, would put me off watching it. It's so much better watching F1 on Sky as you don't have to hear his ramblings.

Red / white - I always quite liked the Toyota. The paintwork was a bit "splashy" so a better job could be done with it, to make it more solid. The Super Aguri looks horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is all over the place that he is about to sign a contract.
    Seems they are going for more than a crew of 3 so I could see them keeping ej in a smaller role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is all over the place that he is about to sign a contract.
    Seems they are going for more than a crew of 3 so I could see them keeping ej in a smaller role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

Kobajashi joined the LMS Toyota team and is replacing the retiring Alex Wurz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's four presenters confirmed??? Chris Evans, Joey from friends, Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz. Not to mention the stig.

Is Schmitz confirmed yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus Christ :eek:

What an epic line up. :p

Is Schmitz confirmed yeah?
    I thought she was. Is there not a gender quota in the BBC now for these kind of things too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭tripperman

OSI wrote: »
    Manor? Williams? Sauber pre-2012?

I think the Marlboro livery looks crap to be honest. It wouldn't suit a modern car, look how crap the Toyotas looked with a similar scheme:

Toyota_f1_usgp_2004.jpg

Am I the only one that's looks at that car and instantly remembers itv going on and on about the Truill train during a race

Harika wrote: »
    Kobajashi joined the LMS Toyota team and is replacing the retiring Alex Wurz.

Well I know where he went, I mean what actually happened? I know he lost his Caterham seat but he seemed set for better things in F1 really.

Well I know where he went, I mean what actually happened? I know he lost his Caterham seat but he seemed set for better things in F1 really.

When he left Sauber, Ferrari employed him and he drove for them in the World Endurance Championship. He then decided to leave Ferrari (which angered Stefano Domenicali who was team principal of the F1 team) and he chose to go to Caterham.

If he continued to stay at Ferrari, who knows what would have happened. He made a huge mistake going to Caterham.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

To be fair to him, when did he make his decision to join Caterham, late 2013 or early 2014? Either way, I doubt he would have had an inkling that Haas would become Ferrari's B-team for 2016, but on the other hand had he bided his time and stayed with Ferrari's WEC programme, by the time the 2016 season starts, he would have been out of F1 for three years. I think he must have seen something in Caterham that wasn't there - unless it was the chance of a seat in F1, of course.

Mercedes-W11-F1-Concept-2020-Cockpitschutz-Kanzel-Formel-1-fotoshowBigImage-2b16bbec-924759.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't know how I feel about these safety frames around the cockpit. If the drivers want them, then fair enough. But the 'T' frame does look like a half - way house and not a solution to anything. I read an article saying the frame was being considered to prevent head injuries eg Senna and Massa. The T frame probably wouldn't have helped with either of those accidents.

If they start doing cockpit protection, then they'll almoat certainly need to go to closed cockpits like the one above

How come a windscreen isn't being mooted?

Why are Mercedes determined to put something in the eyeline of the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I don't know how I feel about these safety frames around the cockpit. If the drivers want them, then fair enough. But the 'T' frame does look like a half - way house and not a solution to anything. I read an article saying the frame was being considered to prevent head injuries eg Senna and Massa. The T frame probably wouldn't have helped with either of those accidents.

If they start doing cockpit protection, then they'll almoat certainly need to go to closed cockpits like the one above

I think a lot of people both inside and outside the sport will be on the fence about these frames, but because it relates to driver safety, will not be seen to criticise it.

Thankfully there has been relatively few incidents of drivers being struck in the head, and even less that have proven fatal.

Formula 1 in particular has a serious image problem at the moment (drivers driving well within their capabilities, minding tyres and fuel, quiet engines etc.) and I wonder if these safety frames will further add to the sports poor image in a way.

Like it or not, part of the attraction of motorsport is the danger element, and the frame might just be seen by some observers as health and safety gone too far.

From what I've heard some experts say, closed cockpits have their own issues, like being able to exit the cockpit in a quick manner, oil and rain obscuring a driver's view to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't really like the long closed cockpit, like the Mercedes has above, looks like it doesn't leave much room for drivers head either

more of a dome window would be better, minimise any distortion

funny to see car from 1967 with a mostly closed cockpit
    67MonzaBrabham.jpg

I expect it would be like what you'd get on a fighter jet, and it would slide forward, or have an option for popping up and off in the event of a crash or fire.

But it would have to be some pretty tough material, as if a car / wheel / the bit that hit Massa comes flying down the track on top of the cockpit cover, last thing you want is for that to shatter or break and stab the driver to pieces.

I expect it would be like what you'd get on a fighter jet, and it would slide forward, or have an option for popping up and off in the event of a crash or fire.

But it would have to be some pretty tough material, as if a car / wheel / the bit that hit Massa comes flying down the track on top of the cockpit cover, last thing you want is for that to shatter or break and stab the driver to pieces.

The FIA carried out some tests on two types of 'windscreen's'...the jet fighter one done the job

I don't really like the long closed cockpit, like the Mercedes has above, looks like it doesn't leave much room for drivers head either
    I don't mind the look, I think it looks nice. The driver's head is pretty much stuck in position by the side of the cockpit, it doesn't move a whole lot anyway.

What I don't understand is if you look just in front of the driver, inside the canopy there's a fin sticking up right in the driver's eyeline, then at the front outside the canopy there's another fin. This seems to be a common place to stick antenna and I find it really annoying that they'd put it there. I also just noticed it doesn't have any wing mirrors, maybe they are going for internal cameras like in some of the GT cars?

I wonder is it a case of the driver just having to come to terms with it or can they actually use those obstructions to their advantage? Kind of like the sight on a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ScumLord wrote:
    I wonder is it a case of the driver just having to come to terms with it or can they actually use those obstructions to their advantage? Kind of like the sight on a gun.

When the eyes see something, the brain can add in and subtract all kinds of things to the image before its interpreted by the mind. I'm sure the drivers would use the struts as cues for spatial awareness. Their brain could equally 'edit' the struts, out of their vision.

I imagine that if they make closed cockpits mandatory, the teams , I'll use some kind of head-up display (HUD).

I'm surprised they don't use it already in the drivers visor, but it would be the most natural evolution in the case of closed cockpits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

The same discussion came up when the head was moved down, or the sidewalls highered, and the drivers couldn't see the front wing anymore and less of the track. But they adapted. Just look at how the drivers head and neck was exposed in the early 90s, bascially a miracle that not more people suffered heavy neck injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement