Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone going to burning Man?

• 12-08-2005 5:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

hey anyone going to burning man this year.
    its my first time any advice?

What should i bring, whats it like etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

ya lucky bugger!

would really love to go, ah well next year!

all i know for sure is you have to bring your own body weight in water, they will turn you back if you dont have it. Supposed to be a great week, as far as i know you cant buy anything, only barter, bring plenty of stimulants and ya should be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Ive never been but I did do a lot of research into it a while back. The mistake I made and I think the one that everyone who hasnt looked into it makes is to assume its just like an American Glastonbury. This couldnt be further from the truth. Burning man has much more in common with a week of grueling survilism than it does with your atypical festival.

As Im sure you're aware the whole concept is based on the idea that a temporary city can function for a week based on the interaction of the people there. What this effectively means is youve to bring EVERYTHING including water because anything you dont have you'll need to barter off someone else.

I believe there is an emergency bus service to a town some insane distance off if you get really stuck but relying on this would be not into the spirit of it.

Dont forget its in a desert.. this means extreme temperatures BOTH ways so plan for that. The website has plenty on the subject (read and reread the preperation section). Id recommend perhaps paying a trip to a good camping shop and explaining what you are doing. You should aim to get a large platypus (water bladder you wear on your back) at the very least. The most insane factor suncream/lip balm etc. As well as a sleeping bag rated for desert conditions. Youd probably get much better advice and prices if you do this in America rather than Ireland.

Ive been pretty curious but extremely daunted by Burning Man. I look forward to your reports on how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Waw. I'd love to experience that just once in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephmurph

I'm not going this year but was there 5 yrs ago and to this day I still call it the most defining moment of my life. You know those really rare times in your life when you look at yourself and look at your surroundings and everything is the way it should be? I really learned a lot about myself that week.

Anyways, practicalities.....water, of course. The motto is 'leave no trace' so bring a bin bag and dont drop your cigarette buts. Oranges and grapefruits are great. Bring stuff to barter - lighters, condoms, chocolate. Theres no currency there (except for centre camp where they sell orange juice and coffee and nothing else). Suncream, hat, body glitter....fancy dress...a smile and a hug for everyone!

You know its not a music festival, right. Well there will be music. Paul Oakenfold was there in 2000. Bring fire juggling stuff if ye have it, although there be plenty there. Glow sticks!!! Bring a camera - there will be some fantastic art work and fantastic camps and automobiles. Some guy built a giant anus with steps up one side and a slide down the other he he! Another crowd reproduced Thunderdome from Mad Max with bungi rope and bats...oh the memories. You will love it.

Let us know how you get on. I'll live vicariously though you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stephmurph wrote:
    I'm not going this year but was there 5 yrs ago and to this day I still call it the most defining moment of my life. You know those really rare times in your life when you look at yourself and look at your surroundings and everything is the way it should be? I really learned a lot about myself that week.
    An epiphany ;)
    It'd be great to think that this is something that I'll do some day in the future - seems like a totally alien experience to everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephmurph

Hey p.peat,

I notice your location is 'Nowhere yet'. Well theres a European version of burning man (which was just on in Spain 2 weeks ago) called 'Nowhere'. Seems like a twist of fate. Maybe you should start there. Check out www.euroburners.org/wikka/HomePage for next year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stephmurph wrote:
    Hey p.peat,

I notice your location is 'Nowhere yet'. Well theres a European version of burning man (which was just on in Spain 2 weeks ago) called 'Nowhere'. Seems like a twist of fate. Maybe you should start there. Check out www.euroburners.org/wikka/HomePage for next year. :)
    Sweet :) may start there next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

i'd love to go to burning man, i will go one year, i just know it. i can't look at all the pics of it and not go!!!
    goat2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

burntheirishbar.com

Advertisement