Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you have to show up to BESS?(Im not a waster just doing a balancing act)

Options
  • 30-06-2014 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    Im currently working abroad but want to do the BESS course.
    I plan to come home but still may have to leave to do some work every so often. Basically what I want to know is how feasible is it to study remotely. Are the lectures all put up online? Is there credit given for attendence etc?
    Thank you so much for your help
    Just realised closing date for CAO is tomorrow!!!!!
    So quick replies would be amazing!!
    Thanks!
    (minor panic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

There are a few modules such as Economics and Maths/Stats that give a certain % for attendance of tutorials. Other modules require a certain amount of tutorial attendance such as management/organisation if I remember correctly. It may be possible although difficult to change tutorial timeslots to suit your work.

Most lecturers put notes online. There are also a number of assignments/essays throughout the year.

I have just finished second year so this is going on memory.

Might be worth having a look at the BESS handbook.

http://www.tcd.ie/bess/downloads/Booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ItsNotAyne

Thats great thank you. So basically you think to pass I have to turn up most of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If your attendance is noticeably bad you can be marked as non-satisfactory, which is sort of a warning. Get two NS and you can be stopped from sitting your exams. And since you're required as a full time student to be within a reasonable distance from campus during the academic year, working abroad as an excuse wont give you much leeway.

But it all depends on how many classes you're planning to miss. A few classes a week is fine, disappearing for entire weeks could be a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

This doesn't bode well for the future of BESS! Fulfilment of a stereotype - *Check*

ItsNotAyne wrote: »
    Thats great thank you. So basically you think to pass I have to turn up most of the time?

Well as Lawliet said it depends on how much your missing for work. A couple of days here and there are manageable but weeks would be difficult.

Any idea to how much time you would be missing?

The credit for attending was around 10% a few years back in some subject. That may have changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

In regards to the Sociology aspect.I have just finished JF TSM Geography and Sociology.The sociology lecture is shared with BESS..Not that I should know as I only went 2 sociology lectures in the whole year.The first one and a lecture where we hand to an essay in.Very poor on my behalf....I passed Sociology easily in fact I got a 2.2...

I do not recommend missing lectures,but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Depending on what kind of learner you are, you will have to compensate missed lecture time with your own study and that can take much longer. Lectures are easy to miss without consequence, tutorials less so. Attendance is taken and homeworks are collected for a lot of modules. Although you get no credit for attending tutorials in most modules, you will still show up as a long-term absentee which may have negative consequences. In 1st year BESS you are also only allowed to miss up to three tutorials without a note that would explain your absense.

But in either case, I cannot understand why anyone would want to work abroad or whatever it is you're doing and attempting to do a university degree at the same time. As someone said above, "working abroad" is not an excuse that will be accepted among the college admin/academic staff.

This doesn't bode well for the future of BESS! Fulfilment of a stereotype - *Check*

Once they look good in a Hollister shirt and go throw the required number of uses of the work "like" into a sentence it's all grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ItsNotAyne

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. All very useful.

Even the Hollister jibes which will at least prepare me ;) Better start drawing little red birds on all my tshirts I suppose so I can fit in ;)

Sounds like if I study as much as I am planning on then I may get away with certain absences. Lets see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Even the Hollister jibes which will at least prepare me ;) Better start drawing little red birds on all my tshirts I suppose so I can fit in ;)

Sounds like if I study as much as I am planning on then I may get away with certain absences. Lets see!

No offence intended..some of my best friends do BESS :rolleyes: ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if some of you could answer a few of the queries I have regarding the BESS system,
    1)In a nutshell how does the BESS course(s) differ from the other "normal ones"(don't worry I have a fairly good understanding but I just want to double check ;))
    2)Is anyone doing this course at the moment ( http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=DUBBE-BESS-1F09 )
    I would love to do this course in college however the points are very high...but I will try ?
    3)Even if one does get the required points what would be the other reason(s) that they wouldnt be accepted into the college ?
    Thanks (p.s I am starting 6th year in september with 2 O.L subjects)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I dont know a single person that wears branded clothes in BESS. And most of BESS are from the country side. I imagine at most 10% of BESS is Dublin City(probably closer to 5%). Most Dubliners go to UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

hfallada wrote: »
    I dont know a single person that wears branded clothes in BESS. And most of BESS are from the country side. I imagine at most 10% of BESS is Dublin City(probably closer to 5%). Most Dubliners go to UCD

Most Dubliners go to UCD? I presume you mean that, of those Dubliners who go to UCD or TCD, disproprtionately more go to the former. I'm not sure that that is necessarily valid. On the one hand, it's conceivable that those who go to TCD over their local university do so because of Trinity's pre-eminent reputation; on the other, UCD offers such courses as Agriculture which one imagines have high non-Dublin make-up, many non-Dubs may be put-off by Trinity's reputation for snobbery, and TCD's accommodation-provision is markedly inferior. I would be astonished if the percentage were that low.

BESS's reputation is certainly over-played, but there is definitely (IMO, ofc) some truth to it: more than with any others, I find BESS-ers to be not especially passionate about their course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most Dubliners go to UCD? I presume you mean that, of those Dubliners who go to UCD or TCD, disproprtionately more go to the former. I'm not sure that that is necessarily valid. On the one hand, it's conceivable that those who go to TCD over their local university do so because of Trinity's pre-eminent reputation; on the other, UCD offers such courses as Agriculture which one imagines have high non-Dublin make-up, many non-Dubs may be put-off by Trinity's reputation for snobbery, and TCD's accommodation-provision is markedly inferior. I would be astonished if the percentage were that low.

BESS's reputation is certainly over-played, but there is definitely (IMO, ofc) some truth to it: more than with any others, I find BESS-ers to be not especially passionate about their course.

Im referring to the Business School in UCD. You will find a huge amount of students from various private schools in Dublin, in Quinn Business schools. Where as there is a handful of Dublin people in Business. In my experience there is more people from the commuter belt, than actual Dubliners in BESS. Compared to UCD, TCD BESS has considerably less wealthy people(although they do exist in BESS).

BESS cant be an overrated course, if employers like KMPG, Deloitte actively look for graduates from it. There is plenty of people not passionate about their course in every university. There is ridiculous stereotypes about BESS from people who have never once even been in the arts block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

hfallada wrote: »
    Im referring to the Business School in UCD. You will find a huge amount of students from various private schools in Dublin, in Quinn Business schools. Where as there is a handful of Dublin people in Business. In my experience there is more people from the commuter belt, than actual Dubliners in BESS. Compared to UCD, TCD BESS has considerably less wealthy people(although they do exist in BESS).

BESS cant be an overrated course, if employers like KMPG, Deloitte actively look for graduates from it. There is plenty of people not passionate about their course in every university. There is ridiculous stereotypes about BESS from people who have never once even been in the arts block.

In my Dublin private school year of about 160, at least five did BESS - already, that's about half of your five percent estimate. There are equivalent courses to Commerce in all the NUIs, so that probably results in it having a larg Dublin-makeup.

The upper-standard of BESS is very good (with those at the top being exceptional), and it's students in that category that those accountancy-consulting firms (seen as being less prestigious than the premier management consulting firms and IBanks) target. But I think that BESS counts within its ranks a sizeable minority of distinctly-average students.

Advertisement