Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City & Guilds Certificate in Engineering in GMIT

Options
  • 24-06-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

As someone that's still not sure what I want to do, but have always had an interest in engineering, I'm wondering is this a good place to start as a part-time course?

I can only commit to a part-time course due to work.

Is this a good start? Is the City & Guilds Certificate recognised as any good?

(It won't let me link to the course as I'm a relatively new user).

Thanks for any feedback/help.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It would be very much an introductory course and would have no, or little, follow aspects i.e. if you decided you wanted to pursue engineering studies after it you'd still have to start at the bottom. For work applications from the course I dunno, you could send an email or ring the course head/secretary to see what people who complete the course usually go on to do.

You could have a look for Level 6 National Certificates in Engineering (I know Blanchardstown offer a part time Cert in Mechatronics) which would be the shortest course in engineering, though still 2 years full time, and would have follow on opportunities to study or you could leave and seek work in industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Would you consider distance learning?
    I know some colleges in Ireland & the uk offer degree & postgraduate level engineering courses online. It'd be similar to the open university. You would have to travel to the campus for exams, but other than that the learning can be done on your own free time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

that course is more geared to a CAD technician based on the modules.

Unit 101 - Working in Engineering. Level 1, 7 C&G Credits
    Unit 115 - Communicating using Computer Aided Design (CAD) Systems. Level, 7 C&G Credits
    Unit 116 - Producing Engineering drawings Level 1, 7 C&G Credits

It would be very very basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TheKaiserChief

Thanks all for the replies. Haven't been on in ages as had no internet access.

Would this course be enough to make me realise if I should pursue engineering?

I've no idea what to do. I have another thread up but can't link it, about going to college to study engineering but can't figure out if I'm eligible to get the back to education allowance and college fees paid.

Advertisement