Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW 48 mobile deals: €10: 1GB, 300mins, all texts, 60 landline

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree. I see 48 as basically a trial of a 'different' kind of business model being tested by O2. A no frills service.

A no frills service that gives you a lot more than the O2 service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

and a lot less. i.e. customer service, something o2 can be proud of

Is the 48 support not as good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

they only offer online support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

beauf wrote: »
    Is the 48 support not as good?
    It's not an issue of good or bad. It's a matter of extent.

O2 gives customers access to their shops and staff, a huge online portal, account history, call history, hundreds of free online web texts, a phone helpline etc etc.

48 gives you an email helpline and a small and limited web site.

I have no problem with that. I have been with 48 for about 15 months and hardly a day's problem. I accept the customer service because I pay a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

From my experience they're customer service is very poor. If you have any sort of technical problem your on your own. They just try fob you off with some script along the lines of "have you tried turning it off and on again."

While I know three can be just as bad sometimes I still think their €20 deal is better value. More reliable network, better online customer service and faster Internet (assuming your in a good coverage area).

Just checking because I found some other other operators poor.

I'm not sure I find value in those frills with O2. TBH O2 is best when you deal with it online. Online is cheaper, the shops refer you to online on many issues, the webtext is brutal unless you use a 3rd party app like cabbage which O2 frequently break by changing their site.

In general though O2 phone and online support is very good. You might not always have web access when you have an issue. Their SMS support chat has saved me a couple of times. So theres a lot of value in that.

I'm really only looking to use 48 for data on a second sim.

TBH I had the same experience on the 3, had a problem, they weren't interested, even if could have understood them. Which I couldn't. even via email. For €20 you've a lot to choose from in terms of plans. But this is at €10.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    While I know three can be just as bad sometimes I still think their €20 deal is better value. More reliable network, better online customer service and faster Internet (assuming your in a good coverage area).

Three has better network!!!

Not a hope in hell. I live less then 2 miles from Dublin city center yet had no network at all in my apartment!

I even had problems connecting to the three network while walking around Grafton Street.

Threes network is atrocious, I couldn't switch off them fast enough!

And this is technically accurate. Three have much smaller coverage footprint then o2/48mnoths according to Comreg.

Three also only have 3G spectrum, they have no 2G spectrum (GSM/Edge) to fall back on if the 3G coverage was bad (3G operates on higher frequencies, so it doesn't travel as far or penetrate buildings). Now they do have a roaming agreement with Vodafone to fall back to their 2G network, but it turns out doing that causes all sorts of problems with smart phones (iPhone) not connecting to the correct network, which leads to no connection at all!

I contacted three CS about this a number of times and they were worse then useless. They tried to fob me off saying it was my phone and their network was perfect.

There are serious issues with the three network and they know it, but there is little they can do about it (it needs to be fixed at the high level management/engineering level *) so they just try placate you while on the phone to customer service, while not actually doing anything about it.

48months on the other hand is fantastic. I have coverage absolutely everywhere. It tends to fall back to edge in my apartment, but at least it does so smoothly and returns to 3G smoothly when available. But more importantly at least I can still receive calls and texts in my apartment, unlike with three.

* Strictly speaking Three buying o2 should fix this issue, as they will now have an extensive 2G network to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is it true you can use your 3 data usage while abroad without it costing extra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

is it true you can use your 3 data usage while abroad without it costing extra?

Only in the following countries:
    UK
    Italy
    Austria
    Denmark
    Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thats a pretty random pick! shame Germany isnt included would be handy, this o2 htc one offer is tempting me now too!

Thats a pretty random pick! shame Germany isnt included would be handy, this o2 htc one offer is tempting me now too!

It is the countries that Three have their own network.

Advertisement