Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Pharmacy

Options
  • 21-07-2014 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing graduate pharmacy in TCD, what would be the best route to go in 5 years time- community or hospital?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're better off posting in the dedicated pharmacy thread to get everyone's attention
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364984

But, for what it's worth, in Ireland at least, hospital pharmacy as a job is a pretty poor choice (IMO). Some people find it more fulfilling and interesting than community pharmacy but poorer pay, unpaid internships and it being difficult to find a job in Ireland makes it less appealing for the majority of people. Prospects are better in community.

Pharmacists aren't just limited to community or hospital practice. There are a whole host of other less common careers for pharmacists. You can work in industry as a qualified person, academia/research, HPRA (formerly the IMB), the PSI and a few other even less common careers like the odd person who'd study further and work as a lawyer for pharmaceutical industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'm thinking of doing graduate pharmacy in TCD, what would be the best route to go in 5 years time- community or hospital?

Considering its 5 years away, don't be worried about routes you wish to go down. You have to do pharmacy in general before you can do hospital or community, the best thing to do would be in first or second year during the summer to try and get a few weeks in both community setting and hospital (part of the course reqs anyway).
    People on my course who wanted to do hospital, rapidly changed opinions after a few days in a hospital. Likewise community with a surprisingly large amount from my year wanting to go into industry/regulatory.

Personally I always wanted to go into community though.:rolleyes:

Advertisement