Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is the theoretical physics course?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

So I put down The theoretical physics course down as my first choice and now that the cao has closed I'm starting to have doubts. Is the course really as hard as people say?
    I mean I think I will definitely get the B3 in higher level maths and physics required but is that even enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Pretty sure all you will need is the box set of The Big Bang Theory and you will be fine. Personally I watched Judge Judy and did fine in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

From what I know, it's tough but doable.

First year is grand enough, but a lot of people gradually switch to pure Maths or Physics throughout the next two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Pretty sure all you will need is the box set of The Big Bang Theory and you will be fine. Personally I watched Judge Judy and did fine in law.

Pretty much this.

But seriously, anyone who gets in to the course is smart enough for the course. You just need to work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

bscm wrote: »
    From what I know, it's tough but doable.

First year is grand enough, but a lot of people gradually switch to pure Maths or Physics throughout the next two years.

A lot drop out too. Granted I'm maths so don't really have a first hand opinion but hey, maths, TP, that whole relation there...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I asked the same question to a guy I know who did TP in trinity. He went into the course with the same hopes and questions as I do, and it sounds like you might have similar ones: Can I do this course without being a maths genius? Will I need to kill myself with work, when all my friends are out partying?
    We were both attracted to the course having read a bit on the awesome weirdness of quantum mechanics, and just the thought of studying stuff like general relativity is so cool... Another thing that worried me personally was that a lot of people who start in TP switch to maths or physics, and a lot of those who stick with TP end up working in banks and stuff anyways. This is my nightmare, it sounds so boring and it's kind of like selling out or giving up on the dream, for me anyways. But this guy explained it to me more when he said something like "One day you'll be down in a dark lab in the furthest corner of the college, trying to understand the most insane maths ever, and you'll just think to yourself "yano, I could get a good job in finance and never have to work this hard again, and have a better social life". But if you really love the physics, you'll persevere." In regards to actually doing the course, he just said feel the fear and do it anyway, if you changed your choices because you're afraid a course might be too hard, then you're not cut out for it anyways.
    Hope this helped a bit, in some way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Just my take/expansion on mcratsix's helpful response...
    mcratsix wrote: »
    I asked the same question to a guy I know who did TP in trinity. He went into the course with the same hopes and questions as I do, and it sounds like you might have similar ones: Can I do this course without being a maths genius? Will I need to kill myself with work, when all my friends are out partying?

Emphatically, you don't need to be a genius to do the course. Hard work is all that is necessary. It's perfectly possible to maintain a good college-work/life balance if you work hard during the week and use your time effectively.
    We were both attracted to the course having read a bit on the awesome weirdness of quantum mechanics, and just the thought of studying stuff like general relativity is so cool...

Yeah it's pretty cool alright. Just be prepared to do a lot of mathematics to justify all the quantum weirdness you hear about. And don't expect to touch on anything philosophical like interpretations of quantum mechanics, many-worlds, etc.
    Another thing that worried me personally was that a lot of people who start in TP switch to maths or physics, and a lot of those who stick with TP end up working in banks and stuff anyways. This is my nightmare, it sounds so boring and it's kind of like selling out or giving up on the dream, for me anyways.

On the first point, don't let this worry you, the TP course is basically a combination of the maths and experimental physics courses, so of course if after a year you discover you prefer one side more than the other, it's perfectly natural to fine tune your degree to better match your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's about an 11 on the Mohs scale.
    Yes, eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

enda1 wrote: »
    It's about an 11 on the Mohs scale.
    Yes, eleven.

What's the Mohs scale...

I googled it there. And I get the joke woooo

Advertisement