Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No HMDI port on my laptop

Options
  • 08-06-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello,

I have no HDMI port on my laptop and I want to connect it to my new TV which does have a HDMI port.

I was thinking of getting a USB to HDMI cable online but they all seem to just be to certain mobile phones?!

I have looked online for alternative methods and it seems S cables/VGA and DVI are options but I'm not sure if i have one of these either?

I thought I had a VGA port on my laptop but it does not have the two sockets on either side of the 15 pin point socket?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

vga is analogue, so not always as good quality, but would work. you would still need to use an audio cable as well to get sound.
    What model laptop is it? and what model tv? does your tv have a vga port? you might be able to get a vga to scart connector, but the quality wont be near as good as hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Very unusual for a laptop not to have some form of Video out port ? Model number as mentioned above would help. There is a USB to HDMI convertor you could use, for example this one.

http://www.cables.ie/usb-to-hdmi-converter.html

I've never seen a USB to HDMI cable and can't see how it could work, there are mini HDMI to HDMI available though which look like a Micro-USB, I got one with my Sony Experia smart phone.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 42 L_S1991

Skatedude wrote: »
    vga is analogue, so not always as good quality, but would work. you would still need to use an audio cable as well to get sound.
    What model laptop is it? and what model tv? does your tv have a vga port? you might be able to get a vga to scart connector, but the quality wont be near as good as hdmi

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your responses!

My laptop is an Asus Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ Series (so it says in Control Panel anyways!!) and my tv is an LG LED. I can't seem to see a model number on that but it is only new and that has a HDMI socket so i think the laptop is more the problem?!

Any ideas on what be best now you know the model number?!

Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

i use VGA to connect my TV and laptop. Its not great to be honest but its watchable.
    most of the stuff i stream from netflix is perfectly appeptable.
    VGA is video only so you will either need to connect the laptop to an external speaker source or find a cable that will go from the headphone jack on your laptop to the tv sound port.

by the way, my tv is 40", i expect the picture to get worse as the screen gets bigger..

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

L_S1991 wrote: »

I thought I had a VGA port on my laptop but it does not have the two sockets on either side of the 15 pin point socket?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

VGA is a blue(usualy) port on the side with holes in it the two holes beside it are just screw holes and most laptops don't have them. If you dont have HDMI port you have a VGA port

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 L_S1991

VGA is a blue(usualy) port on the side with holes in it the two holes beside it are just screw holes and most laptops don't have them. If you dont have HDMI port you have a VGA port

Okay, great thank you!! Glad to hear I don't need the two holes on either side to use a VGA port.

Any suggestions on the best way to get volume then?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

L_S1991 wrote: »
    Okay, great thank you!! Glad to hear I don't need the two holes on either side to use a VGA port.

Any suggestions on the best way to get volume then?

Cable from headphone jack to tv(pc audio if it has it) other wise the audio inputs, mite be some playing around as VGA on tv and audio can be a pain to set up, other option is usb speakers n stick beside the tv

Advertisement