Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on TV!

Options
  • 29-06-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I have a 32 inch LG TV - 2 years old - lovely TV but not a SMART TV.

I want to be able to stream the internet through TV. I want to be able to look at the likes of project TV, rte player, 4OD, youtube and dodgy sports websites like sportlemon. Basically I want to watch everything and anything!

I was going to buy an apple tv box but apparently I would be limited to their apps.

What device should I buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i would also like an answer to this question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Come on someone help us out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd buy a Google Chromecast. You can get it in Argos, Tesco and Curry's as well as Amazon and other online stores. It's a tiny device (about the size of a USB key) that plugs into the back of your TV allowing you to 'Cast' content from your smartphone or tablet to your TV.

Google recently announced a mirroring update for the device which will allow you to send anything on your phone to the TV as currently it only works with certain apps like the Apple TV.

The reason I'm suggesting this is they are only €40 so while you can probably get better solutions from getting a new TV to buying a dedicated computer that plugs into your TV this is probably the easiest and cheapest. At that price you can't go too far wrong.

You will need a smartphone, tablet or laptop to control it as it doesn't have a remote control.

Check this thread which has lots of help and advice http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056609

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Dudda wrote: »
    I'd buy a Google Chromecast. You can get it in Argos, Tesco and Curry's as well as Amazon and other online stores. It's a tiny device (about the size of a USB key) that plugs into the back of your TV allowing you to 'Cast' content from your smartphone or tablet to your TV.

Google recently announced a mirroring update for the device which will allow you to send anything on your phone to the TV as currently it only works with certain apps like the Apple TV.

The reason I'm suggesting this is they are only €40 so while you can probably get better solutions from getting a new TV to buying a dedicated computer that plugs into your TV this is probably the easiest and cheapest. At that price you can't go too far wrong.

You will need a smartphone, tablet or laptop to control it as it doesn't have a remote control.

Check this thread which has lots of help and advice http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056609

So your kinda connecting your laptop to TV really? Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So your kinda connecting your laptop to TV really? Yeah?

Not so much the laptop but more what you have open in its web browser (Chrome). For 40 quid its well worth a shot seeing you are happy with your current TV.

As for your original query, you won't get a 40D app using the TV with Irish settings and will be limited to what ever apps each TV manufacturer provides so probley no sportlemon either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement