Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 arcade stick/joypads megathread

Options
  • 24-11-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

With Street Fighter V currently in beta and the full release barely 3 months away, I thought it was about time I made a thread on what controller options are available for PS4 to blame your losses on.
    (as a bonus, almost every option mentioned here works on PS3+PC too)
    • Venom arcade stick ~£65-70 / €110
      Venom-01.png
      Mid-size arcade stick.
      While the stock joystick is passable & the stock buttons are poor, it is very easy to mod.
      The stock joystick is a Sanwa JLF clone and can be modified to arcade-grade with a Sanwa TP-MA PCB + JST XH cable.
      The buttons can be replaced with any 30mm and are connected with quick-disconnects.
    • Hori Real Arcade 4 Kai, ~£110
      41tZmIQT4sL.jpg
      Very wide base but with small palm rest & medium weight, this joystick uses Hori's new arcade-grade "Hayabusa" lever and "Kuro" buttons.
      The latter are slightly larger than the average 30mm drop-in button, while the former is my new preferred lever (design-wise, an evolution of the venerable Sanwa JLF).
      Everything is connected with quick-disconnects.
    • Madcatz TE2 ~€200
      Madcatz-TE2-Standard-01.png
      Large, heavy base and a nifty opening mechanism. The cable can be removed for travel (uses a proprietary mechanism).
      This joystick uses arcade-grade Sanwa parts and (again) all quick-disconnects.
    • Madcatz Fightstick Alpha (release 2016)
      Madcatz-ALPHA-01.png
      Tiny travel-size stick. Not much is known yet, but it should have quick-disconnects at least.
    • Hori Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend
      Hori-BBCPE-01.png
      Medium-size stick.
      It uses Hori's old OEM joystick (JLF clone) and newer Kuro buttons.
      Buttons are quick-disconnect, but joystick does not use 5-pin cable (might be easy moddable, will update in future).
    • ebten Guilty Gear Xrd stick
      Sanwa-GuiltyGear-00.png
      Large stick with all-Sanwa parts.
      You probably won't find one.
    • Hori Fighting Commander 4
      Fighting-Commander-4-Pro.jpg
      A joypad with a twist - literally!
      The d-pad can be angled to 10 or 20 degrees off-axis.
      Additionally, the R1/R2 triggers can be switched to function as L1/L2, allowing all buttons to be on the right side.
    • Madcatz Fightpad PRO (release 2016)
      MadCatz_FightPad_PRO.png
      Looks to be similar to the Hori FC4, but with a circular d-pad & additional thumbsticks.
    • Brook converters
      http://www.brookaccessory.com/product/
      Lagless converters which allow old (PS1, PS3, 360) controllers to work on new systems (PS4, Xbox One).
      Brook seem to be very supportive with releasing update firmware as needed. Additionally, unlike their competitor ChronusMAX they do not feature turbo or macros, and are thus fully tournament legal.
      The only downside is that you must buy the correct converter for your particular controller.
    • Brook Fightboard
      http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/204940/brook-announces-ps3-ps4-fightboard-pcb
      Keep an eye on this - it might be the solution for anyone looking to permanently solder their current joystick to work with PS3/PS4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

We are still trying to get people together to buy Madcatz TE2 ~€200 with a discount if we have 5 people or more. So far we have 3 or 4 people and we need more. I need this stick for a long time now so hopefully someone else wants to buy one of these with a discount.

Facebook post for the Madcatz TE2 PS4 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/irishfgc/permalink/511250182384479/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You probably won't find one.

I found one the other week while searching for a Guilty Gear TE2. If anyone wants the link I could try dig through my history.

Oh and I suppose I should say my Venom is still working away no problem. I replaced the buttons but the stock stick is indeed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Whats the deal with using the Brooks Fightboard with Toodles' boards? I've modded my TE with a TE Kitty. I'd like to keep X360 compatibility and just add PS4 support to my TE

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭shane9fingers

The new ps4/xbone mayflash stick was supposed to be out already. Found a placeholder on playasia and the mayflsh site but no more info.

Also, the illusive ggxrd pad, Hori fps, Hori fps plus, and the gator pad. I had an fps plus, but found it unsuitable for a padhack, and not a very good dpad either.

The new ps4/xbone mayflash stick was supposed to be out already. Found a placeholder on playasia and the mayflsh site but no more info.

That came out I think, there's a thread on SRK about it. The stick still needs a controller to be plugged in with it. As I understand it just comes with the pass through port built in to it.

So it's useless in other words.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    That came out I think, there's a thread on SRK about it. The stick still needs a controller to be plugged in with it. As I understand it just comes with the pass through port built in to it.

So it's useless in other words.

Well fook, that's a really big converter then.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/202563/mayflash-ps4-xbox-one-ps3-xbox360-fightstick-coming-soon-excitement-level-downgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Dear customers
    We are sorry to say that some users have experienced problems with our PS4 Super Converters series after doing PlayStation’s 3.11 upgrade.
    The following two issues have been confirmed:
    1.) The Super Converter disconnects after 8 minutes
    2.) the Super Converter light go red and pressing a button does not trigger a response on the screen.
    We are terribly sorry for the inconveniences this may cause our customers. Our R&D team is working hard to fix this issue, and we will release a fix as soon as we have it ready. Thank you,
    The Brook Team

Lol so its the equivalent of ps360+ then. Except ps360+ is cheaper, works on ps3,ps4,xbox360 and pc AND has a SOFT reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Street Fighter 5 sticks.

More here, including pads.

Added touchpad and L3/R3 support.

The TE S+ looks fantastic but the other thing is an abomination. I have the generic blue/black PS4 TE2 and it feels pretty cheap compared to the original TE's. Hopefully the TE S+ goes back to that build quality but I wouldn't count on it :pac: .

Ohhhhh pretty.

€276 + shipping for us though.........

Might be cheaper to buy US and get it sent over! :pac:
    >
    >
    >
    Yeah, it is. Just pre-ordered from amazon US there. No choice anyway, UK/EU mad catz sites are sold out it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

If anyone has a PSX\PS2 to PC\PS3 adapter, you can actually use those in ultra PS4, albeit with arseways button mappings, but pretty cool playing an old old PSX pad with no analogs on the PS4.

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    If anyone has a PSX\PS2 to PC\PS3 adapter, you can actually use those in ultra PS4, albeit with arseways button mappings, but pretty cool playing an old old PSX pad with no analogs on the PS4.

I have that adapter, thanks :D Can you not rebind the keys at the system level?

Simon_K wrote: »
    I have that adapter, thanks :D Can you not rebind the keys at the system level?

You can, but I'm braindead and lazy so I never bothered past seeing did it actually work on the PS4 :pac:
    Dualshock 4 is doing me fine so far, aside from some hiccups in ST (hooligans dont always come out)

Dualshock 4 is doing me fine so far

Lovely controller. Might be my favourite ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dear customers
    We are sorry to say that some users have experienced problems with our PS4 Super Converters series after doing PlayStation’s 3.11 upgrade.
    The following two issues have been confirmed:
    1.) The Super Converter disconnects after 8 minutes
    2.) the Super Converter light go red and pressing a button does not trigger a response on the screen.
    We are terribly sorry for the inconveniences this may cause our customers. Our R&D team is working hard to fix this issue, and we will release a fix as soon as we have it ready. Thank you,
    The Brook Team

Lol so its the equivalent of ps360+ then. Except ps360+ is cheaper, works on ps3,ps4,xbox360 and pc AND has a SOFT reset.
    Stop looking for excuses to troll, Simon. :rolleyes:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10463320/#Comment_10463320

I'm not trolling, valid post. Scroll that thread you posted 2 posts up, thats where i got it.

I'm not trolling, valid post. Scroll that thread you posted 2 posts up, thats where i got it.
    They released updated firmware within 48hrs, your point is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I love that smaller alpha arcade stick.

Reminds me of my namco one.

I own a Kai so have absolutely no reason to get it but seriously I want it so bad!!

I don't play with pads but even the pads do look good.

Lovely controller. Might be my favourite ever.

I've yet to try a saturn controller.

I've yet to try a saturn controller.

I had one for PC many many years ago. I remember I liked it.

A new challenger! ?????

51DLmm%2BDu1L._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Fighting-stick-brand-Japan/dp/B017N4GMSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449187484&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+fighting+stick+mini

Available right now for around €60 odd. Someone grab one quick so we can know!

• Advertisement

A new challenger! ?????

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Fighting-stick-brand-Japan/dp/B017N4GMSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449187484&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+fighting+stick+mini

I wouldn't recommend the Hori mini line if you're thinking about getting serious; it's really more of a stick for kids or MAMEing.

http://madcatz.com/street-fighter-v-arcade-fightstick/
    New info on Madcatz' official Street Fighter V range.
    Release is February 2016.

Street Fighter V Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition 2+ (TE2+) €270 and Street Fighter V Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition S+ (TE-S+) €220

TE2Plus-n-TESPlus-for-blog-post.jpg
    Why the plus? We’re adding L3 and R3 buttons, full touch panel compatibility (gesture and button press) along with a refined case for a new generation of Street Fighter. Similarly, we’re doing the same with the TE2, which will also have the additional button and touch panel functionality built in. - See more at: http://madcatz.com/street-fighter-v-arcade-fightstick/#sthash.55jf6Hmb.dpuf

FightStick Alpha, €90

Very definitely non-arcade parts, but easy upgrading is promised.

FightPad Pro, €70
    MarkMan has been posting lots of stuff on this pad, I think Ayjay will be very happy :)

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672551661517279234

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672600979305558016

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672595865257775104

A new challenger! ?????

It's almost the exact same as the red/blue ps3 one.
    I had one and it's not really worth getting, at that price you're better off getting a hori fighting commander or buying parts to build your own.

Good luck fitting it on your lap ;)

my point was that sony is actively ****ing with third party controllers. shame on them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I like those new Madcatz sticks. Howver the artwork is pretty plain.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the Hori mini line if you're thinking about getting serious; it's really more of a stick for kids or MAMEing.

A shame, could still be a cheap PCB option though??
    I like those new Madcatz sticks. However the artwork is pretty plain.

I dunno man, that gold Shadaloo on black looks pretty good to me!

A shame, could still be a cheap PCB option though??

You're better off with a Fightboard IMHO, as it's designed with soldering in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I dunno man, that gold Shadaloo on black looks pretty good to me!

I mean, all said and done, that's the one I'll end up with. But would maybe like a different colour scheme for the buttons.

Anyone pre order this ?
    Might do so myself during the week.
    http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

• Advertisement

Anyone pre order this ?
    Might do so myself during the week.
    http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

It looks like the FC4 but way cheaper. Watch out for custom charges.

Advertisement