Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

powerbomb_portable_power_bank_looks_like_a_hand_grenade_1.jpg

They had an issue with my 13000 miliamp Powerbank :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

I am traveling to belgium tomorrow and will only have a carry on bag.can i pack protein bars or protein powder in the bag?..is there a limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No limit, nobody cares about non-liquid food.

Unless you're flying to the US in which case there are issues with certain types of fruit and meat - US Dept of Ag. regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi All,

Anyone know if it is possible to bring a suitbag as your 2nd bag with Ryanair. It looks like it might be slightly outside the dimensions they give for the 2nd bag but I was wondering if anyone might have any 1st hand experience with it, or am I as well off to try and fit it in to the carry on?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Provided it's not massively bulky it should be fine, you can places it flat on top on cases in the overhead locker. If you're worried about staff being strict you can always offer your case to be gate checked, I find this is usually appreciated and then I'm sure you'll have no issues. Also not having to carry both items onboard will make it easier for you to organise yourself onboard and find a place you can stow to minimise creases etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭testtech05

@Locker10a: That's a great Idea hadn't thought of the gate checking option. Thanks a lot. I think I will try that and see how I get on and offer to gate check if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

testtech05 wrote: »
    @Locker10a: That's a great Idea hadn't thought of the gate checking option. Thanks a lot. I think I will try that and see how I get on and offer to gate check if needed.

Or just wear the suit? Best way to carry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Does anyone know if you can bring a suit on a hanger as an extra piece of cary on luggage on an Aer Lingus flight to the US? Do they have a small wardrobe in the cabin to hang it?

Pretty sure I did it before, but it was a while ago and not sure how things are nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last time I went a couple of years ago there was no problem bringing it on but you will need to find an overhead locker with decent space so it doesn't get mauled by other baggage going in on top of it.

I've carried suits before in suit bags in my hold luggage and they were grand at the other end, possibly think about that as an option.

• Advertisement

Last time I went a couple of years ago there was no problem bringing it on but you will need to find an overhead locker with decent space so it doesn't get mauled by other baggage going in on top of it.

I've carried suits before in suit bags in my hold luggage and they were grand at the other end, possibly think about that as an option.

Cheers, I'll think of the suitcase but I was reluctant as I'm attending a wedding there and a bit afraid of showing up in a messed-up suit :-)

Actually maybe it was another airline but I am positive I once had a suit put in a dedicated wardrobe on a flight from Dublin to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a wardrobe for business class on Aer Lingus

Normally the overhead bins are very lightly loaded as everyone gets free checked bag plus the centre bin are huge so should be able to place over any bags loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi guys,

I'll be flying out of Dublin early Friday morning to the UK and will ideally need to bring a suit bag to carry a suit as well as a small school bag type bag.

Just wondering if it's allowable or if I'll get any hassle in doing so?

If it's an issue I will just wear it instead, but would prefer not to if possible.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

No hassle. Every time I fly with aer lingus I always have my carryon rucksack and my laptop bag. Never an issue. In terms of where to store it - the staff are very approachable but worst case you could lie it down in the overhead bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From Irish Times.

This seems to mean that from Nov 1st you can only bring Handbag/Laptop Bag on Board unless you have Priority Boarding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

SusanC10 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From Irish Times.

This seems to mean that from Nov 1st you can only bring Handbag/Laptop Bag on Board unless you have Priority Boarding.

It was getting a bit out of hand in fairness. However, I wish they'd allow a bag drop for the small cases before security instead of at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

I remember a time when O'leary was adamant that he was going to eliminate check in baggage and hence the high prices he charged for it

..... now he wants us to put baggage in the hold!!!

We will shortly be running 3rd level courses on how to keep up with Ryanair charges.... becoming a minefield!

What he needs is to get a grip of the size of cabin baggaes getting through... I've seen some monster of cases taking over whole locker space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Will people have to pay at the Gate for the Larger Bag to be put in the Hold ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Will people have to pay at the Gate for the Larger Bag to be put in the Hold ?

No it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gizmo81 wrote: »
    It was getting a bit out of hand in fairness. However, I wish they'd allow a bag drop for the small cases before security instead of at the gate.

They do!
    It can be done online for €5 per bag(if memory serves on the cost). They can be checked in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Masala wrote:
    I remember a time when O'leary was adamant that he was going to eliminate check in baggage and hence the high prices he charged for it

Masala wrote:
    ..... now he wants us to put baggage in the hold!!!

In fairness airplanes can only accommodate so much carry on luggage so it was doomed for the start. And people abuse carry on policies anyway. Look at Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

The relevant bit is
    "All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate."

They do!
    It can be done online for €5 per bag(if memory serves on the cost). They can be checked in.

Oh cool thanks, I wasn't aware, pity it's not free but I presume they have to pay to get it through the airport.

I'll will avail of it in future though when I have a wheelie case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is just to try and get more people to pay up for priority and have their seats pre-booked.
    I would say that the delay issues boarding are not to do with staff having to manage cases from boarding gate to the plane, because that will still continue, but more to do with the chaos in the cabin with groups and families trying to work out who can sit where because their seats are scattered all over the place due to R.A.'s random seating allocation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rotary939

Reference to a non-priority passenger having to put the 'bigger' bag in the hold. What if the non-priority passenger only has one normal bag? Whats your thoughts on if they'll be allowed that bag into the cabin as usual or will that 'normal' (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) bag have to go into the hold? Its a little ambiguous as I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

You could see this happening, I use Ryanair regularly and lately the amount of chancers filling up the overhead lockers with all sorts of **** has been unbelievable.

Now the anti ryanair possy will ride into town to fill the space where their anti water and bin charges rants have dried up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Rotary939 wrote: »
    Reference to a non-priority passenger having to put the 'bigger' bag in the hold. What if the non-priority passenger only has one normal bag? Whats your thoughts on if they'll be allowed that bag into the cabin as usual or will that 'normal' (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) bag have to go into the hold?

It will have to go into the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Bastards! I booked flights in November and paid extra for a 20kg bag. I won't get a refund

It's going to be messy for Gate Staff/ airport staff. It's in effect another checkin procedure ... imagine having to tag 100 bags at the gate. It will surely slow down the boarding??

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The relevant bit is
    "All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate."

And soon not to be free of charge.
    It's just a pathway to higher baggage charges.

• Advertisement

People will dog-it and bring their main bag to the gate trying to get it on for free!!

They will still have the problem of people taking off the tags as they cross the ramp and carrying it on anyway.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This is just to try and get more people to pay up for priority and have their seats pre-booked.
    I would say that the delay issues boarding are not to do with staff having to manage cases from boarding gate to the plane, because that will still continue, but more to do with the chaos in the cabin with groups and families trying to work out who can sit where because their seats are scattered all over the place due to R.A.'s random seating allocation system.

Couldn't agree more with the above.

All excuses to justify a very complex service/fee structure designed to force everyone to pay for "priority" boarding if they want to avail of basic services any airline offers such as seating next to travel companions when possible and bringing in a reasonably sized bag into the cabin.

And once everyone starts paying for "priority" because it is the only way to get those basic services ... priority will only be the name of an extra item in the fee structure because once you incentivise most customer to pay for that service they all end up in the same queue again and there is nothing priority about it anymore.

Tayschren wrote: »
    You could see this happening, I use Ryanair regularly and lately the amount of chancers filling up the overhead lockers with all sorts of **** has been unbelievable.

If the issue was just abuse, the easy answer was to actually enforce their policy. Not to restrict carry-on allowance more than any other airline I have used in Europe (which are all managing OK with much more generous allowances).

Not saying there aren't any abusers, but Ryanair's capacity to convince some people that every time it takes as step to reduce service it is because it is a victim of bad and naughty customers is kind of funny. They must have very bad luck for being the only airline in this situation. Or could it be related to the way the manage their business?

Masala wrote: »
    It's going to be messy for Gate Staff/ airport staff. It's in effect another checkin procedure ... imagine having to tag 100 bags at the gate. It will surely slow down the boarding??

I suspect they will only do it whenever they have enough time and get the chance or when they foresee the overhead bins will be overloaded.

Basically let priority passengers in first. And then if it's a busy day and there is space left in the cabin just let other passenger get away with taking in their bags to speed-up boarding. But if they have some time or the bins look full, start stopping some of them.

Basically what they are doing already, but only targeting non-priority customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

Surely airports can see a false econonmy coming into play here too with extra security screening of all this carry thru bags.

I'm guessing its Ryanairs way to save airport charges for baggage handling?

Noticed it this summer in particular, some many people with the full alloaction of carry on cases and most taken off them at the gate! Security was bedlam too, with slow Q's as all these bags have to be screened. Is it causing a slow down, I think it is. Perhaps a higher charge from the airports for the carry thru cabin bags and less for the thru the holds?

Also noticed alot of oversized cabin bags and no once using the sizers to nail them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

I knew this would happen.

3 times this year on Ryanair flights I have been frustrated watching people come on board, and put their bag overhead, and then their second smaller bag ALSO over head. Oh and don't forget about the coat going up there too.

The system worked as long as people actually put the second bag under the seat in front of them. My observation was most did not do this, and the minority followed and put the bag and coat under the seat.

whether it was lack of clear direction, or just ignorance, it ruined what as a great service to bring a second bag on for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

The net effect of this is, are you willing to pay an extra €5 so as not to have to wait around the baggage carousel at the other end? I'm guessing a lot of people will say yes, which makes this nonsense about it costing them €50 million the more galling.

BobMc wrote: »
    Surely airports can see a false econonmy coming into play here too with extra security screening of all this carry thru bags.

I'm guessing its Ryanairs way to save airport charges for baggage handling?

Noticed it this summer in particular, some many people with the full alloaction of carry on cases and most taken off them at the gate! Security was bedlam too, with slow Q's as all these bags have to be screened. Is it causing a slow down, I think it is. Perhaps a higher charge from the airports for the carry thru cabin bags and less for the thru the holds?

Also noticed alot of oversized cabin bags and no once using the sizers to nail them !

I don't think any airport has a 'bag charge' ??? MOL started this rumour years ago and I don't think it ever existed. Airport charges are usually levelled per persona sand / or per aircraft movement. The per passenger could be both per departing and / or per security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It makes sense. If you dont have priority then you can only bring on a bag that fits under the seat in front of you. If there is no room in the overhead then you stick it under the seat. There is no more walking up and down the plane looking for space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Had to be done... travelled end of August from France (Aer Lingus) and some people just dont care, oversize / out of shape carry on bags galore .... delays for everyone. I think no matter what the rules are you always have those who seem to not know whats going on or at least pretend they dont and chance it.

flexcon wrote: »

3 times this year on Ryanair flights I have been frustrated watching people come on board, and put their bag overhead, and then their second smaller bag ALSO over head. Oh and don't forget about the coat going up there too.

The system worked as long as people actually put the second bag under the seat in front of them. My observation was most did not do this, and the minority followed and put the bag and coat under the seat.

whether it was lack of clear direction, or just ignorance, it ruined what as a great service to bring a second bag on for free.

It's just human nature..... give an inch and people take a mile. Same for people parking on yellow lines/ loading bays. There is just a badness in some people... Rant over!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Deub

I would love to see their calculations for the 50millions loss they talk about. I have a feeling that they took the baggage rate per passenger from this year and applied the new lower price knowing full well that there will be more check in luggages if the price is lower.
    It is nice PR stuff: Look how we lose money so you have a better experience...

So for €5 .... you get Priority plus 2 bags?? Do u also get to pick your preferred seats as well within this €5?

flexcon wrote: »

I have seen some abusers as well. But if the issue was people putting their second small bag in the overhead bin, would the answer not have been to restrict carry-on to strictly one item? (Rather than restricting it to strictly one *small* item)

It think full bins are more caused by the fact they check-in prices are very high and people will consequently bring as muc luggage into the cabin as possible whereas with other airlines they might have checked-in some of it.

Deub wrote: »
    I would love to see their calculations for the 50millions loss they talk about. I have a feeling that they took the baggage rate per passenger from this year and applied the new lower price knowing full well that there will be more check in luggages if the price is lower.
    It is nice PR stuff: Look how we lose money so you have a better experience...

Most likely, what you describe is indeed their calculation for PR purposes. Internally they probably have another calculation taking into account how many additional passengers they think will pay for priority boarding in order to be sure they can keep their carry-on with them in the cabin, and they must expect this will bring in more revenue than they will lose on luggage check-in fees.

Can't blame them for doing this, they are a business trying to make more money and using marketing strategies. But we don't have to fall for it either :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Jrop wrote: »
    Bastards! I booked flights in November and paid extra for a 20kg bag. I won't get a refund
    its only cabin luggage that gets put in for free and that has to be the correct size and no more than 10kg, if you are over the 10kg allowance they will charge you extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

This really isn't much of a change from what actually happens regularly anyway.

Cabin/overhead bin capacity is 90 bags. I will always anticipate having my carry-on diverted to the hold at boarding.

Fact remains that, regardess of whether you decide to pay for priority boarding or not, if you aren't in the first 90 on board your larger bag is likely to be diverted to the hold.

It was hinted at months ago that if people continued to take the p1ss with allowances, as many do, then policies would be reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This is pretty simple though - you have a seat on your boarding pass, sit in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Happy to see this. I'm sick and tired of people taking the p1ss because they are too cheap to put the bag in the hold. Then giving you dirty looks when you try to put your (correctly sized) hand luggage in the bins above.

Happy to see this. I'm sick and tired of people taking the p1ss because they are too cheap to put the bag in the hold. Then giving you dirty looks when you try to put your (correctly sized) hand luggage in the bins above.

Or the ones who take up a bin with their jackets. Eh, NO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement