Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance......Again

• 06-10-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of quick questions. Separating from the wife or ex wife she currently earns about 20k more then me. While she is doing figures etc there have been a couple of things dropped into conversation such as the cost of her getting hair done and her clothes etc

my understanding is that it is to cover just cost associated with the children and not her. In relation to the children they will defo be every second weekend iniatially building to one night a week. While i would ideally like 2 nights one week and 3 the next with every 2nd weekend I am not sure if this is good for children or if I would actually get this.

In relation to maintenance do my costs get taken into consideration....such as rent, car costs when i have the lads, associated costs of renting etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭SVI40

From my own experience everything, both incoming and outgoing get taken into account. When I did my affidavit of means, it went down to the minutest detail, hair cuts, newspapers, everything was included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Where are you living OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Carlow des

• Registered Users Posts: 31 levi12

Everything is taken into account.
    Health insurance
    Life policy
    Iiterally anything u spend money on...very literally.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Carlow des

Sorry I meant with parents or in an apartment etc ? Are you renting / paying a mortgage ?

• Advertisement

I will be moving out and renting she'll be staying in the family home which has a mortgage on it

I will be moving out and renting she'll be staying in the family home which has a mortgage on it

Move out now. Make sure there's adequate room for the kids. Technically boys and girls should have separate bedrooms if that's an issue. You need to have all this in your statement of means.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Prepare to be screwed, the court really only cares about the kids welfare and your outgoings will be taken into account but has very little bearing on the outcome !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Just a question though, if she earns 20k more than you, why should you be paying maintenance to get her hair done?

The kids will be with her most of the time and she can document almost all of her expenses on her affidavit.

• Advertisement

ibebanging wrote: »
    The kids will be with her most of the time and she can document almost all of her expenses on her affidavit.

Just on this matter. This is not what I want obviously want joint and equal custody but dont want that happening as and from next week as it would really upset them I think to just start yanking there life's around. So will be working towards this but as I do surely the maintenance cost decrease?

Anyhow was handed a thing last night showing a shortfall of 300 odd per week!!!! Wtf like that would be over half my pay!!!

Just on this matter. This is not what I want obviously want joint and equal custody but dont want that happening as and from next week as it would really upset them I think to just start yanking there life's around. So will be working towards this but as I do surely the maintenance cost decrease?

Anyhow was handed a thing last night showing a shortfall of 300 odd per week!!!! Wtf like that would be over half my pay!!!
    My experience was the same. Joint custody etc
    But was screwed fianiancially !
    I'm sure every case is different!

If you pay a lot and then after a few months can't you have a problem. Even though she may summons you - you are seeking the "variation" and therefore the burden of proof is on you to justify your outgoings.
    Document your outgoings - reasonable ones. Give her what's left . If she doesn't approve SHE will be seeking the variation not you. She will have to justify HER outgoings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Just because there's a shortfall doesn't mean you have to pay that shortfall. Your maintenance will be based on the kids needs and your own capacity to pay. If she genuinely runs at a shortfall after she will have to cut down- when a couple separates there's always a drop in their standard of living as there are now two households to run

Thank you Sala that is my common sense approach. That standard of living drops

Sala wrote: »
    Just because there's a shortfall doesn't mean you have to pay that shortfall. Your maintenance will be based on the kids needs and your own capacity to pay. If she genuinely runs at a shortfall after she will have to cut down- when a couple separates there's always a drop in their standard of living as there are now two households to run

In court one side seeks a variation - that side has the burden of proof. Not solely of course but the emphasis is strongly on them to justify the variation particulary where the maintainance is longstanding, court ordered or agreed by Separation Agreement. It is not an investigatory system to see what's fair.

desbrook wrote: »
    In court one side seeks a variation - that side has the burden of proof. Not solely of course but the emphasis is strongly on them to justify the variation particulary where the maintainance is longstanding, court ordered or agreed by Separation Agreement. It is not an investigatory system to see what's fair.

Just to clarify des we are not in the court system yet and hopefully wont be. Trying to sort this ourselves. But my prob is trying to show the point made above in the sense that the current lifestyle is expected to be maintained with the likes of holidays, socialing being very high. No problem covering the costs of children but not the her associated cost of living that is equal to mine. As is my rent is more then the mortgage payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just to clarify des we are not in the court system yet and hopefully wont be. Trying to sort this ourselves. But my prob is trying to show the point made above in the sense that the current lifestyle is expected to be maintained with the likes of holidays, socialing being very high. No problem covering the costs of children but not the her associated cost of living that is equal to mine. As is my rent is more then the mortgage payment.
    Is their any chance of ye getting into mediation with a neutral 3rd party. The mediator would be able to tell you what you can and can't do/claim for. If nothing else it would soften the blow when it came to court.

If mediation between ye is a no go then a visit to a solicitor by yourself would be a good move.

Don't hassle yourself. Pay what you can as I stated above. Document your spending honestly and pay the maintenance promptly and clearly. If she wants to summons grand because she will have to prove. Mediation is a headwreck frankly when it comes to money. Don't be afraid of court.

Advertisement