Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piratebay ISP block (See Mod Note in post 1)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bink

No links to other torrent sites/proxies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

They will never stop pirating . If they block websites , new ones will be made . If they get blocked people will use usbs.

They need to stfu about CDs sales aswell . I don't ever buy them anymore. If they made legal streaming sites that weren't attrociously expensive , people would actually use them or wait for adds to end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Lots of mirror sites for piratebay not sure what the point is in banning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Id say TPB's traffic has dropped since the court order, the average joe soap is not going to be familiar with the work arounds even though it is possible. Even then some of the proxy websites is full of ads and other junk which I would not recommend using.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Lads just type in pirate bay proxy into google. First result gets u on the site. How on earth could an average joe not figure that out.... moreover why would you go to the hassle of switching providers???????!!!!!!!!! hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

There's a lovely bay in Malaysia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Why even bother with a proxy?. There's a million alternative torrent sites without the name pirate bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Why even bother with a proxy?. There's a million alternative torrent sites without the name pirate bay.

I agree ye I use <SNIP> a lot but im just saying if you like piratebay its still there with two clicks of your mouse :D

<SNIP> is bigger than piratebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's because <SNIP> is full of junk!

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's because <SNIP> is full of junk!

Well I found stuff on <SNIP> that I couldnt find on piratebay.

Isohunt seems to have everything that piratebay has anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I think this website gets you to PB. <SNIP>
    Apologies to mods if I'm not supposed to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Seems to pass 3Ireland's ISP block on this anyway .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK folks last warning. There is to be no further mention of workarounds, other pirate bay type websites, proxies etc. Infractions will be handed if such are discussed again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have Sky and it is definitely not blocked. As a way of silent protest I'm currently downloading several albums on the Sony Music Ireland label. There's hundreds of websites that are essentially PirateBay but at a different web address. I think this whole thing was just a waste of money >.<

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I have Sky and it is definitely not blocked. As a way of silent protest I'm currently downloading several albums on the Sony Music Ireland label. There's hundreds of websites that are essentially PirateBay but at a different web address. I think this whole thing was just a waste of money >.<

Sky Broadband wasn't around when the whole case started and hence weren't on the list but they will be soon enough.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Sky Broadband wasn't around when the whole case started and hence weren't on the list but they will be soon enough.

Yeah I realise that's why but still even if it is blocked there are many many alternatives.

yoyo wrote: »
    OK folks last warning. There is to be no further mention of workarounds, other pirate bay type websites, proxies etc. Infractions will be handed if such are discussed again.

But the sites mentioned are NOT illegal and can be used for legitimate downloads. Blocking access to them is like closing down ports and airports because some people use them to smuggle drugs.

Jumboman wrote: »
    But the sites mentioned are NOT illegal and can be used for legitimate downloads. Blocking access to them is like closing down ports and airports because some people use them to smuggle drugs.

There was a law passed last year that can in fact make these sites "illegal". Not that I agree with this or censorship, however, boards could get in trouble if we were seen to be allowing discussion about bypassing court ordered blocks.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

yoyo wrote: »
    There was a law passed last year that can in fact make these sites "illegal". Not that I agree with this or censorship, however, boards could get in trouble if we were seen to be allowing discussion about bypassing court ordered blocks.

Nick

On top of that, pointing out the sites that do it, just helps them..
    They may know a lot of them, but each link is showing them the ones people use.

Not that it's possible (I hate saying that) with meshnet on the rise, and many more, it's just annoying.

I was just about to start a rant. Think it's been done to death, gonna opt out.

Sean Sherlock should be put on a public Q&A, where he can answer (Even vetted) questions. The truth lies somewhere between him not having a clue what he signed, and him thinking he knew what he was doing.

A public Q&A may help him understand more, and may help the public understand what he thought he was achieving. Why is this guy so quiet?

The minister for research and innovation, introduces censorship.

Maybe he suffers from Solipsism Syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Allyall wrote: »
    Sean Sherlock should be put on a public Q&A, where he can answer (Even vetted) questions. The truth lies somewhere between him not having a clue what he signed, and him thinking he knew what he was doing.

A public Q&A may help him understand more, and may help the public understand what he thought he was achieving. Why is this guy so quiet?

He took part in a public Q&A at the time which I attended. Cloud (a.k.a. Mr boards) was there and ripped him a new one, others were there too and but he took criticism on board and answered most questions quite well, insisting that common sense would be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yo dawg I heard you liked <SNIP> so I put some <SNIP> in your <SNIP>

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Just adding a new word :-)

immunicity

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dhenalau wrote: »
    immunicity

Simple, yet effective. I can't be doing with the notion that the kids aren't going to wander up to each other in school and pass around circumvention methods like sweets. It's nonsense.

edit: Given it's context in this thread, discussion is almost certainly not allowed however. It does seem like a clever technology mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Magnet.ie have started blocking piratebay, bothered me for about five minutes when i started using a similar site that "kicksass". Never likes the navigation on that site however and now i've found a list of pirate bay urls that are not blocked and updated regularly.

So no change, anyone know if/ when they're going to start threatening letters for DL:ing certain stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Murtinho wrote: »
    Magnet.ie have started blocking piratebay, bothered me for about five minutes when i started using a similar site that "kicksass". Never likes the navigation on that site however and now i've found a list of pirate bay urls that are not blocked and updated regularly.

So no change, anyone know if/ when they're going to start threatening letters for DL:ing certain stuff.

download all you want its only the seeding that gets you caught.

Having said dont think I've heard anyone getting done for it here in a court of law(could be wrong though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I can't get on to it with Sky broadband today but using that pi**teproxy.net site seems to work fine.

Does anyone know if sky broadband has finally blocked it too?

Honestly, I only use torrents for legit purposes ;)

johnnybmac wrote: »
    I can't get on to it with Sky broadband today but using that pi**teproxy.net site seems to work fine.

Same with me..
    It doesn't come up with a page saying it's blocked, it simply doesn't load.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

johnnybmac wrote: »

This thing is handy for blocked content:
    snip

The android app is handy as I gets around crippled free wifi (e.g. web only but no pop/imap)

• Advertisement

Right lads, locking this up as the rules regarding bypassing blocks are not being adhered to. It could be seen dodgy to provide workarounds for court ordered blocks so take it to Google if you need to research this :) . Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement