Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 Petrol or 1.9 TDI - GOLF

Options
  • 09-10-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Still undecided between the two, almost identical spec aside from the engines, what you guys reckon? I'm 21 so would I miss something as nippy as the petrol?

Also, The TDI is a 2005 and 15,000, decent price? Has nice low miliage!
    I'm thinkin I could hammer the price down given todays sales for dealers! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Still undecided between the two, almost identical spec aside from the engines, what you guys reckon? I'm 21 so would I miss something as nippy as the petrol?

I'm thinkin I could hammer the price down given todays sales for dealers! :cool:

The TDI because:

a) much better fuel economy

b) much more torque and will pull harder

c) better resale value

d) the 1.4 lump is a dog of a thing:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The petrol will be a little smoother and cheaper to tax, but the diesel will be faster, more economical, and worth more when you sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Any ideas about the price? Should dealers be dropping their knickers? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I've experianced more lawnmore tractor power that that 1.4.
    Go for the 1.9tdi. Much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 1.4 is a very weak engine, only thing worse is that dreadful 1.9 TDI which is incredibly noisy, delivers all its power in one BIG lump, hates being revved, very unrefined etc etc.

The 1.6 FSI would have plenty of power, better economy than the underpowered 1.4 and would be far quieter and smoother than the 1.9 TDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You really have it in for that engine, don't you?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If it's just between those two engines, then the diesel. The 1.4 is shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The diesel is the lesser of two evils imo.

I'd also haggle on the price, the car will be hitting 4 years old in the next 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

The 1.9 TDI gets my vote, it's certainly not the last word in refinement but, it isn't THAT noisy and the power delivery will more linear in the lower power versions i.e. 90 / 105 bhp. Besides, it'll be a nicer drive than the relatively gutless 1.4 and far more economical to boot.

One thing to consider though is, the recent VRT / Tax changes have affected the resale values of newer (e.g. 2005 - 2007) diesel cars as they are stuck paying relatively high road tax on the old scheme compared to similar 2008 cars. This would be something to factor into your negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Am I the only one to feel that €15k for a nearly 4 year old basic Golf is way too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    Am I the only one to feel that €15k for a nearly 4 year old basic Golf is way too much?

I agree but generally people seem to be happy enough to pay silly money for Golfs.

Yea agreed but if the continue to hold their value as well as they have in the past I dont reli ahve that much of an issue! On Carzone most 2005 Golfs are in and around the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

bazz26 wrote: »
    I agree but generally people seem to be happy enough to pay silly money for Golfs.

You get the silly money back when you sell it so it doesn't really matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote: »

People pay silly money for used Toyotas too yet nobody complains about that.

FWIW the 1.9 TDI has only 90 bhp as the entry engine, although there is also a 105 version but unsurprisingly it is less common here.

The one i'm looking at is spec 105bhp, but if ya get the ECU or 'chipped' ya can bump that up to about 130bhp

Well my brothers just managed it anyway..... crafty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Currenlty have four 1.4 Golf's in the drive, two mk5 and two mk4. Personally, there's nothing wrong with the 1.4. Unless your really after your power it's a grand engine. Although i'd pick the 1.9 ten times over, for resale, power etc. etc. Get a comfortline, really is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Currenlty have four 1.4 Golf's in the drive, two mk5 and two mk4. Personally, there's nothing wrong with the 1.4. Unless your really after your power it's a grand engine. Although i'd pick the 1.9 ten times over, for resale, power etc. etc. Get a comfortline, really is a must.
    My father has serious mileage on his 1.4 and he said its by a long shot the most reliable engine he's ever had. No problem with the car yet. Only the clutch went way back at 180,000 miles. Its a 01. Its rubbish power though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote: »

in the current market it is a ridiculous price. it would be about 10-11k book at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Plug wrote: »
    My father has serious mileage on his 1.4 and he said its by a long shot the most reliable engine he's ever had. No problem with the car yet. Only the clutch went way back at 180,000 miles. Its a 01. Its rubbish power though.

Few things go wrong with them, valve oil seals (burning oil) and a few other bits. Nothing that can't be fixed:D

Advertisement