Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunglasses tips

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im heading out (Male) to boston now shortly and was considering buying a decent pair of sunglasses,Ones to wear particularly for driving and also for out and about, Im not up in the brands of sunglasses at all and wondering has anyone got any decent tips on what to look out for in sunglasses or perhaps others here was out in the US and also got some out there.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

See if you can get to an outlet shopping location, as that is where some of the best value is found. Or else, try department stores like Macy's and make sure to register for the tourist discount

For quality, the Rayban brand is really the best (IMO). It's even better if you can get a polarised pair as they will cut down on glare for driving. The quickest way to know if the Raybans are polarised is to look for the little "P" letter after the logo. See the photo below

RB2140-901_58.jpg

If you're just looking for a fashion brand, then it's really down to what suits your face and the amount you're willing to spend. Hugo Boss are doing nice male sunglasses at the moment. I'm just back from a trip to the US, and I bought these glasses for my partner for $42

Boss-Orange-Sunglasses-BO0032S-D28fw800fh800.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

X2 on the polarised RayBan Wayfarers. I'm just back from a month in NYC and purchased a pair of them while there. They're superb for driving and general wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

If you're going to wear them driving, try to get a pair with "skinny" arms, so you don't have a blindspot when you look over your shoulders!

Also I'd definitely get polarized lens; sure what's the point of wearing sunglasses if they don't protect your eyes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Thanks for all the tips,Ill look out for polarized lens ones definetly,Ones im looking for in particular are ones that has no frames at the bottom of the glasses
    Duff wrote: »
    X2 on the polarised RayBan Wayfarers. I'm just back from a month in NYC and purchased a pair of them while there. They're superb for driving and general wear.

Was there any particular store you got yours in or/and would you recommend a specific store?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I got them in Sunglasses Hut, There's plenty of them knocking about the place. Mine were about $160 inc tax which is a fair bit cheaper than they are over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Raybans and the like are pretty low in quality terms.

Something like Dita or Mykita would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sassypants

I work in that area and the best, by a country mile, are Maui Jim sunglasses. Polarised (which, btw, doesn't have anything to do with how protected your eyes are, they are to do with horizontal glare. Basically the sparkle you get from water and other flat surfaces), don't affect colours in a negative way, you see the world as a better more colourful version of itself. Quality is fantastic and their after sales service is really second to none. Am in the business over 10 years and have had loads of sunglasses but they are by far the best.

Oakley are great and really popular too.

Ray-Ban are good, I have a few pairs, but I wear them cos they are cool more than because of the lens.

Trust me...I'm a doctor (well, not really but it sounds cool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

enda1 wrote: »
    Raybans and the like are pretty low in quality terms.

I'd disagree with that. I have a pair for approximately 7 years and they are in as good condition as the day I got them. Anybody I know who has a paid, has never had any issues....apart from when they sit/stand on them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can't go wrong style wise with a good set of aviators .

BDJW wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that. I have a pair for approximately 7 years and they are in as good condition as the day I got them. Anybody I know who has a paid, has never had any issues....apart from when they sit/stand on them ;)

Well.
    I've had two pairs in the past. They are cheaply made. The material choice is poor, finish is poor and in my opinion detailing is poor. They do charge a lot for what is Italian made generic tat. For quality in the realm of sunglasses, it's hard to beat Japanese manufactured frames.

Personally if I was the OP, I'd probably get a pair of frames at a vintage sunglasses shop such as General Eyewear in London (formally Arckiv) and get lenses made up for them. That said, I love my Ditas for the moment.

In Boston, perhaps OP checkout styleforum.net and ask around there. They'll have a userbase with more of a US tilt.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

It's impossible to advise style for someone without knowing how they look. What looks good on one person can look ridiculous on another. So yes, you can go very wrong with aviators.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Love my Raybans, my mam originally bought them in 1996 :)

Oakley's less sporty range is really nice, and you can get some nice matte finishes on the frames.

Polarised lenses are great for driving, you'll notice quite a price hike in Rayban and Oakley though for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Well.
    I've had two pairs in the past. They are cheaply made. The material choice is poor, finish is poor and in my opinion detailing is poor.
    Sounds like you bought from a market stall. Genuine Ray-Bans are certainly NOT cheaply made.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Sounds like you bought from a market stall. Genuine Ray-Bans are certainly NOT cheaply made.

Funny.

Until you try proper sunglasses you will be ignorant to what I say.
    It's like the difference between well marketed Budweiser and craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

ted1 wrote: »

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Funny.

Until you try proper sunglasses you will be ignorant to what I say.
    It's like the difference between well marketed Budweiser and craft beer.
    My cousin works with expensive watches and he will tell you that almost anything but Rolex is ****e including Tag Heuer or Breitling. And yet people can tell the time accurately looking at a watch without spending minimum 10k.

I have 10 years old Paloma Picasso sunglasses that I bought for about 70 euro and for those three sunny days per year they are perfectly adequate. I think it's important to find glasses that suit you and a model that is comfortable. I think those who need to wear them a lot, could do with good quality lenses. Some look better with sportier shape, some look better in classic styles. What about sports. Most people I know use Oakleys for skiing, cycling or other sports where you need to wear sunglasses. So think what you need them for and go for something that looks good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

moshino.jpg

meeeeh wrote: »
    My cousin works with expensive watches and he will tell you that almost anything but Rolex is ****e including Tag Heuer or Breitling. And yet people can tell the time accurately looking at a watch without spending minimum 10k.

I have 10 years old Paloma Picasso sunglasses that I bought for about 70 euro and for those three sunny days per year they are perfectly adequate. I think it's important to find glasses that suit you and a model that is comfortable. I think those who need to wear them a lot, could do with good quality lenses. Some look better with sportier shape, some look better in classic styles. What about sports. Most people I know use Oakleys for skiing, cycling or other sports where you need to wear sunglasses. So think what you need them for and go for something that looks good on you.

The is the "Fashion & Appearance" forum. Not the "functional is best adventure sports" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jrby

Persol

best sunglasses that i've had by far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

uv protection should always be the absolute priority, as wearing sungleasses without adequate uv protection is worse than not wearing sunglasses at all

id also be opting for polarised lenses for maximal performance and glare reduction

anything else is personal choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement