Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk Drive Issue

• 10-03-2013 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just trying to help out a friend who's laptop is acting up...

Its a dell laptop, about 5 years old and their disk drive has disappeared:confused:

Its no longer appearing in "My Computer" and its gone from "Device Manager"...

This is something I've not come across before, and was looking for some advice on the issue, my first thought of it being hardware, but I've like to try and avoid opening up the laptop.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

most drives only last about 5yrs ... so chances are the drive has crashed !

(I could be completely wrong but thats my take on whats happened)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Corkbah wrote: »
    most drives only last about 5yrs ... so chances are the drive has crashed !

(I could be completely wrong but thats my take on whats happened)

Is there a specific diagnostic I can run to test your theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

if the drive has failed in the laptop it wont boot up so you wont be getting into device manager
    I'm guessing your talking about the hard drive and that the laptop only has one drive

If its booting then you have a software problem
    To check if the drive is ok you can run a chkdsk
    from start - run type cmd and ok
    in the black window type chkdsk c: /r
    say y to the run on reboot then restart and let the chkdsk run it might take a while to run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Its the drive where you put CD's into, isn;t showing on Device manager or my computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

it could be faulty
    there a cheap drive and held in with one screw
    can you boot from a cd and is it shown in the bios you may need to change the boot order to get it to boot from cd first or selec boot device when you power on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

You don't give your version of Windows but going by age its probably Vista

Follow link below for a fix from Microsoft, there is an automatic and an manual fix the this, scroll down to use which ever works, probably best to start with the auto fix. It is a know registry problem, common with XP and Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

John's suggestion is the most likely fix for that problem.

If you have no joy it may well be a hardware issue.

Advertisement