Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office 2010 on new laptop - Out of Box Helper

Options
  • 25-02-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I got a new laptop last week, a Compaq, and I am trying to use Microsoft Word but I am experiencing a slight problem. The problem is that when I try to activate the Microsoft Office 2010, which is already come with the computer, a box appeared asking would I like to setup a program called 'Microsoft Office Out of Box Helper'. The part that worries me is that it states that setting up the 'Out of Box Helper' may cause changes to the computer. I can't seem to activate Microsoft Office without this 'Out of Box Helper'. Should I set up the 'Out of Box Helper', is it safe for my Laptop?
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just skip it.

Its not harmful in any way either however. Top tip, google these things you'd have an answer in 10 seconds flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

I did select 'no' for the Out of Box Helper, but I still couldn't access Microsoft Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

IIRC, you'll need to run the Out of Box Helper and choose if you want to buy Office or setup Office Starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

hi I bought a new laptop about 3 weeks ago anyway when I tried to open a document today a box opened and asked about Microsoft office which I had assumed was already on my laptop but a pop up box opened then asked me for my key any ideas ? anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

You get 30 day trial with Office..the key it is looking for is the License key, which you have to buy online. Or you could just uninstall Office and download Open Office:
    http://www.openoffice.org/

It is free and offers all the Office features except mail for which you could try this:
    https://www.mozilla.org/EN/thunderbird/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    You get 30 day trial with Office..the key it is looking for is the License key, which you have to buy online. Or you could just uninstall Office and download Open Office:
    http://www.openoffice.org/

It is free and offers all the Office features except mail for which you could try this:
    https://www.mozilla.org/EN/thunderbird/

cheers I just rang the shop I bought it from they said it comes preloaded but to use it I need to buy the licence or use the 90 free day trial which I guess I will then I`ll uninstall it and use the option you just gave me so thanks again.

btw except mail what`s that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

thecross1 wrote: »
    except mail what`s that mean?

It means, the free alternatives to Microsoft Office do not include an email client (equivalent to Microsoft Outlook). If you don't use webmail (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc) and need an email client (to retrieve and store your emails locally on your computer), you may use Mozilla Thunderbird.

Here's another freebie, which I prefer over Open/Libre Office. All of them should be able to handle documents you have previously created with the trial version of MS Office on your computer. And if they don't work to your satisfaction, you can still buy a license. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

I got a new laptop last week, a Compaq, and I am trying to use Microsoft Word but I am experiencing a slight problem. The problem is that when I try to activate the Microsoft Office 2010, which is already come with the computer, a box appeared asking would I like to setup a program called 'Microsoft Office Out of Box Helper'. The part that worries me is that it states that setting up the 'Out of Box Helper' may cause changes to the computer. I can't seem to activate Microsoft Office without this 'Out of Box Helper'. Should I set up the 'Out of Box Helper', is it safe for my Laptop?
    Thanks for reading
    It means outlook, it's like a business version of Outlook Express, that second link will get you Thunderbird mail client which is free and also recommended (-;

Advertisement