Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire 5633WLMi AC adapter green light wont come on

Options
  • 01-03-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi.

A relative has an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi (5+ years old). Today it was plugged in and the green light no longer shows in the AC adapter. Can the power box be replaced/fixed? Where is the best place to get a new one? What would a new one cost?

An image of it is attached to show the specs.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

ACER LITEON PA-1900-04 Notebook Ac Adapter, a tenner on Amazon UK.

But first check the fuse in the plug. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Torqay wrote: »
    ACER LITEON PA-1900-04 Notebook Ac Adapter, a tenner on Amazon UK.

But first check the fuse in the plug. ;)

Cheers Torqay. The fuse was changed and I even tried my own laptop plug lead that goes from the mains to the adapter (it's the same for both laptops). No joy either way.

That is cheap and comes to less than €12.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What would the total cost be? Including post + packing etc.?

I believe, the standard delivery rate is £4.99

What would happen if this power adapter [image attached] from another Acer laptop was used in the interim? The connector to both laptops is the same but I don't know about all the volts and watts etc. specs. I presume it is a bad idea.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Worztron wrote: »
    What would happen if this power adapter [image attached] from another Acer laptop was used in the interim? The connector to both laptops is the same but I don't know about all the volts and watts etc. specs. I presume it is a bad idea.

Cheers.

So the Volts must be same on both, but A might be higher/lower. Don't worry to much about Watts.
    Anyway power adapter looks grand with all of A, V and watts for Your Acer.

asgaard wrote: »
    So the Volts must be same on both, but A might be higher/lower. Don't worry to much about Watts.
    Anyway power adapter looks grand with all of A, V and watts for Your Acer.

Do the amps need to be equal or higher than the original (broken) adapter?

The Amps don't need to be equal (might be higher/lower).
    One more to clear it: always use a notebook power adapter that has equal or higher power output than the notebook requires, e.g., on a 65W notebook You can use 65W, 90W or 120W adapter, but not a 60W adapter.
    When the output power is only specified in Volts (V) and Amps (A), multiply those numbers to get the power output in Watts (W). For example if the output power is 18.5V at 3.5A = 18.5 x 3.5 = 64.75W (rounded to 65W).

Hope it helps
    ;)

Your computer probably requires more power than this PSU can provide for. It should be OK to charge the battery, but if you operate the laptop from it, it might overheat or blow.

f.e. proper charger for Your laptop (as per ebay)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-ORIGINAL-ACER-ASPIRE-5633WLMi-LAPTOP-CHARGER-/280716899592

• Advertisement

Today he got one for €60 in Harvey Norman. He wanted it right now and was willing to pay the difference.

Thanks guys.

Today he got one for €60 in Harvey Norman. He wanted it right now and was willing to pay the difference.

And they wonder why retail Ireland is f***ed...

Torqay wrote: »
    And they wonder why retail Ireland is f***ed...

Yep, f*****g right.

If it was up to me, I'd have gone for one of the Amazon links. The one he got will work for all Acer laptops so at least that is a big plus. Also it came with a selection of power connectors.

If it was up to me, I'd have gone for one of the Amazon links. The one he got will work for all Acer laptops so at least that is a big plus. Also it came with a selection of power connectors.

In my opinion use only genuine proper chargers for laptops. I don't recommend universal on. It might work for couple of years without any problems, but......... I've used universal on to test laptops (f.e. booting) for a while if I haven't got proper charger.

asgaard wrote: »
    In my opinion use only genuine proper chargers for laptops. I don't recommend universal on. It might work for couple of years without any problems, but......... I've used universal on to test laptops (f.e. booting) for a while if I haven't got proper charger.

Thanks for the tip. Alas rip-off Ireland is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Advertisement