Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost to change from 08 Golf to 08 Legacy

Options
  • 09-10-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for peoples opinions on this:

Trade my 08 Golf 1.4 TSI 140 GT Sport for an 08 Legacy Demo that is on carzone for 27,950.

Would i be mad and just throwing away money? And any ideas what I may have to pay?

Thanks for any helpful help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think you would be getting the market value for your existing car in that deal to be honest. I'd imagine the garage will be looking for serious money to change assuming they want your 08 car.

Nothing wrong with a Legacy though as long as you are happy with the additional tax and insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Would be madness in my opinion. The dealer probably wouldn't want to take the Golf as it would be standing him too much money or he would offer you a pittance for it. The trade-in market is on its knees at the moment so can't see this deal being a runner with any dealership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bored with the Golf already? Where do you find it lacking? If you can answer that question, then you may find the answer to the car you're looking for.
    How much is the dealer looking for to change over? Diesel Legacy or petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Is the road tax at € 290 not cheaper on the legacy !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the road tax at € 290 not cheaper on the legacy !

Assumed he was talking about a petrol Legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It's a Diesel Legacy. It's mainly the bit of extra space I was after. The golf is a fine car with plenty of pep and I do still enjoy putting it through its paces but not the petrol bills if you do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

alexmcred wrote: »
    It's a Diesel Legacy. It's mainly the bit of extra space I was after. The golf is a fine car with plenty of pep and I do still enjoy putting it through its paces but not the petrol bills if you do this.

If it's space you're after, then why not. If it's economy you're after then remember that the cost to change would buy an awful lot of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Drive Slower and less aggressively.

Seriously no messing I have done it for the last couple of months. I have gone filling up once a week to filling up nearly once every two weeks.

Dont really go over 50 mph on the roads. And on the motorway stick to the speed limit. I get around 42mpg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kluivert wrote: »
    Drive Slower and less aggressively.

Seriously no messing I have done it for the last couple of months. I have gone filling up once a week to filling up nearly once every two weeks.

Dont really go over 50 mph on the roads. And on the motorway stick to the speed limit. I get around 42mpg.

Good advice, but I think the space seems to be more important for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I have cut down and car will indeed go for two weeks on €50 worth of petrol covering around 450-500Km's It's telling me that I'm using around 9L per 100Km and if you drive it hard your looking at 13L per 100Km. If you drive it hard you'll be using around the €50 in one week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You DO NOT have to drive slower to save fuel.

Drive smoother, don't race off from the traffic lights, change up gears earlier, you use up to something like 20% more fuel by driving in 4th than in 5th, and most of all - try to anticipate when you may have to slow down and don't brake at the last second.

Like if you see a red traffic light, a lot of people drive at the same speed right up until they come right next to the traffic light and this doesn't save time, because you have to stop anyway, but it does use more fuel and increase wear and tear on your car's engine and brakes. By slowing down gradually and in time, you will often find that you don't have to stop at all and that way you'll actually get there faster but most importantly you'll save the car wear and tear, not to mention the fuel savings.

Get rid of all junk in the car you don't need, make sure the car is properly serviced, make sure the tyre pressures are what VW recommends them to be, and you'll be surprised by how many more mpg you'll save, yet the best bit of all is that you won't actually take any longer to get there and you can still drive at the speed limit and not slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

alexmcred wrote: »
    And any ideas what I may have to pay?

Ask a Subaru dealer and let us know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

E92 wrote: »
    You DO NOT have to drive slower to save fuel.

I agree with all your other points E92, but when it comes to motorway driving, doing closer to 100 than 120 can make a difference.

Advertisement