Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I dont mean to break up the Pats vs Shels budget issue as for once the moaning isnt aimed at us for once...although...

It seems both clubs are offering high enough amounts. If both sides are true and the other club is offering more money than the other for players..and you both seem to be getting about a 50/50 split of these players...than you're both way in over your heads. Last season you both budgeted for much larger crowds than expected and if it wasnt for a good cup run Shels would have been way behind... Has this changed or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ebbs wrote: »
    It seems both clubs are offering high enough amounts.

Really?

How much are players being offered by us? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ebbs wrote: »
    I dont mean to break up the Pats vs Shels budget issue as for once the moaning isnt aimed at us for once...although...

It seems both clubs are offering high enough amounts. If both sides are true and the other club is offering more money than the other for players..and you both seem to be getting about a 50/50 split of these players...than you're both way in over your heads. Last season you both budgeted for much larger crowds than expected and if it wasnt for a good cup run Shels would have been way behind... Has this changed or?
    It seems as though us and Pats are the only teams really competing for Dublin based players at the moment, so unless Matthews and Buckley are undergoing a serious bidding war (which I doubt) there is no reason to suggest either of us are paying over the odds for players.

The way I see it at the moment, Shamrock Rovers will probably keep the bulk of their squad from last season, sign a few players from abroad, and maybe take the few top out of contract players that they want. Shels and Pats won't be competing with them realistically for these players. They'll lose.

There are as yet no indications that Bohs, Dundalk or Drogheda are actively pursuing the best of what is left of the Dublin/Leinster pile. All 3 seem to be in the middle of, or recovering from serious financial obstacles and will probably end up with what is left of what us, Rovers and Pats take (perhaps Dundalk excluded, but I'm yet to hear them linked with any Premier Division players from last year other than those already with them).

So for most players that Shels and Pats go in for they'll realistically just be facing each other as competition. Both sides can only have so many players in their squad and we've already signed 11 without bringing in any massive earners (10 of our signings will be with us last year).

If the rumours are true, we outbid them for Conan Byrne and Philly Hughes, and they've outbid us for Chambers, O'Brien and one of Murphy and Clarke (possibly both but I doubt it). All this indicates to me is that Matthews and Buckley are willing to spend that little bit more on the players they really want, and to step back on those that they don't. It would be much more worrying for either party if one side had managed to win every bidding war as it would certainly indicate that they were spilling the bucks.

Realistically speaking, us and Pats will most likely be looking at similar, prrobably reasonable budgets, similar average attendances for the season (even if they think they're Borussia Dortmund) and both of us will probably be fighting with Cork and maybe Dundalk in the tier behind Rovers, Sligo and Derry.

Neither side has made any real indications that they're spending big so this whole argument really does come down to one poster claiming to be in the know talking tripe.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Willie McStay in talks with Derry about the Managers job

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0103/mcstayw_derry.html

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Willie McStay in talks with Derry about the Managers job

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0103/mcstayw_derry.html

I saw that this morning. I think he could be a good replacement for Kenny. He did a good job when he was at Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mons confirm Conor Murphy signing and also Darragh Reynor, from Notts Forest academy/reserves. Son of mons legend John Reynor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My god Bray gonna be wrecked. No Dempsey, Murphy I know of, was told Kelly is gone too and few others. Will be a very young team, inexperienced too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Mushy wrote: »
    My god Bray gonna be wrecked. No Dempsey, Murphy I know of, was told Kelly is gone too and few others. Will be a very young team, inexperienced too.
    Yet they inexplicably will survive for another season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yet they inexplicably will survive for another season :D

Not so sure. Think sportsworld are gone too, and Slevin isnt putting much, if any, money in. Fenlon should bankroll the club for a bit. Gotta wait and see I guess.

Mushy wrote: »
    Not so sure. Think sportsworld are gone too.
    Completely OT, but I thought that logo made the jersey look shockin altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seany Byrne and John Sullivan staying with Shels, Brian Shortall (Pats) signed for Shels.

All 3 finally announced by the club.

Pats confirm Barry Murphy and Brendan Clarke, bit much to have 2 top goalkeepers is it?

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7231/player-influx-begins-in-inchicore/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Now, now. Don't be jealous.

Craig Sexton for Ireland

Pats confirm Barry Murphy and Brendan Clarke, bit much to have 2 top goalkeepers is it?

We're the ones overpaying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Craig Sexton for Ireland

Screw that, Sexo for the GB Olympics team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    We're the ones overpaying though.

Overpaying or overspending?

You offered more to players than we did and we got the above 14 within budget and 7 more to be confirmed. Dont think you offered any of them deals? Murphy maybe?

Decent set of players there but still lacking a striker and centre back. Kavanagh and E Mac Millan and Bradley in still in talks.

dreamers75 wrote: »

You offered more to players than we did and we got the above 14 within budget and 7 more to be confirmed. Dont think you offered any of them deals? Murphy maybe?

Decent set of players there but still lacking a striker and centre back. Kavanagh and E Mac Millan and Bradley in still in talks.
    You have no idea who we offered money to or how much we offered. That much is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thats mental. Surely the money could be better spent elsewhere in the squad?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Thats mental. Surely the money could be better spent elsewhere in the squad?
    It has been aswell by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Bohs have allegedly signed Dinny Corcoran. Anyone know anything about him?

BOHtox wrote: »
    With us in 2010. Good finisher but hasn't alot else to his game.

If there's one part of our youth squad form last season I'd like to improve it'd be upfront so would be happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Average finisher at FD level to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I see Callaghan is appointed Bohs manager.....opinions? ( Bothered or otherwise;))

Average manager when he was with Longford. Didn't really bring much to the table IMO.

Players in UCD didn't rate him at all as a coach either, so time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dreamers75 wrote: »

We talked to Fagan, Ger O'Brien, Pat Flynn, Chambers, Barry Murphy and possibly Clarke (not 100% on him). I'm nearly sure all where offered contracts by Alan Matthews.

Is Kenny Browne on a 12 month contract with yous like he was at Waterford?
    BOHtox wrote: »

I liked him tbh, he'd be ideal of a team like yourselves who are trying to start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We talked to Fagan, Ger O'Brien, Pat Flynn, Chambers, Barry Murphy and possibly Clarke (not 100% on him). I'm nearly sure all where offered contracts by Alan Matthews.

Is Kenny Browne on a 12 month contract with yous like he was at Waterford?

I liked him tbh, he'd be ideal of a team like yourselves who are trying to start from scratch.

All players are just on one season contracts

Barry Murphy is not a top goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

some serious signings there by Pats. Can see a big gap from top 3 to the rest.

So much for Pat's budget being between €5.5k and €6.5k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement