Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a feminist because:

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

Has the feminist movement gone a tad too far ? Are they picking up on ridiculous and ludicrous things and making a big deal out of them? Just reading the other article on the LL, and women already have more than enough equality. The only thing getting in the way of equality is feminism. If a man started a thread about gents being discriminated against, there would be uproar. enhanced-buzz-27069-1371720227-4.jpg What are the sources of those stats? If women truly were feminists, they would fight if the 70% were men. What about the fact that most of the people affected by the recession are men? Do feminists bat an eyelid at that ?? NO. enhanced-buzz-32709-1371719987-2.jpg Yes, calling your brother a girl is a HUGE insult to his gender. IF I called you a man, I'd be slapped (and a girl would get away with it because assaulting a man is OK). Girls say it's OK to tell a man to "man up", however, if I told a girl to act more feminine, I would end up with a black eye. enhanced-buzz-1357-1371719706-7.jpg Who's trying to stop you? enhanced-buzz-18836-1371719482-12.jpg TV is generally tax payer funded, why would they waste money on something that people generally have no interest in. If the station is privately-run, then why should someone have to spend money on something that won't have as many viewers and hence less advertising revenue?? When women mention issues of discrimination, everyone listens with baited breath. I really hope this thread stays open and remains civil. I would like to use this opportunity to voice my opinion as to why I believe I need "masculism". I need masculism, because we are soon to be forced to have a certain number of women serving in certain roles and panels, but no such gender quotas are being enforced for men to fill jobs such as teaching, which is predominantly filled with women. I need masculism because if a woman assaults a man, she gets away with it. Natasha Wilson in the pub for example, whereas if a man hits a woman, he does serious time. Disgusting comments and ludicrous comments from Ivana Backic for example. I need masculism because my gym (in the middle of my contract) changed Friday evenings and Saturday mornings to women only, after I signed the contract and am still obliged to pay my monthly direct debit, and I have less of an entitlement that the women. If this was reversed, then there would be uproar. No where in the contract does it allow (or even imply to allow this to happen). I need masculism because women are generally believed in the courtroom over men. Again people, PLEASE keep this civil. Let's keep this open and rational.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Best off Join Femmen there's more boobies on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I saw something similar on facebook with someone holding up a card saying 1 in 4 women are raped. Cant be true surely?

Edit: The card said "I need feminism because 1 in 4 women are raped"... think it was a guy holding the card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Feminism of today would made Wollstonecraft turn in her grave.

It's a movement whose primary goal is to complain. About what? Anything, really.

Women football doesn't get TV coverage? Maybe that's because it'd get 1% of the viewers. If there is demand for female sports then it's shown on TV like female boxing.

I'll defend feminism but only in its strictest sense.

When I see things like 70% of impoverished people are women worldwide - so what? Am I supposed to feel guilty? I've never done anything to them. I'm not dismissing the issue but poverty isn't a gender specific one. Take a walk around the alley ways of Dublin on Christmas eve and tell me which gender is over represented in the doorways and gutters.

Often, wild statistics are just thrown out by today's feminists.

Their demonstrations are often a mish-mash of other far-left political/social groups which somewhat dilutes their cause.

And without being presumptuous, those messages on their whiteboards sound like the most cry baby complaints to voice in the name of equality. "I can make my own decisions"... fair play. You're now eight years old.

A lot of noise. Little sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Feminism is becoming less and less relevant in modern "western" society I think.

This campaign strikes me of attempts by a movement or organisation to keep itself relevant.

Where these organisations could do some use is in some Middle Eastern countries where women aren't even allowed drive, there is clear discrimination there.

I would draw parallels between large standing armies and the feminist movement in the West. When the war is won, a large army struggles to justify it's existence and budgets, same with various human rights movements. Once they achieve their goals they become a little irrelevant.

I see that the whole women in politics issue has been brought up again. Society will have to start torturing and water boarding women in order to force them to put their names on the ballot paper. :rolleyes: You can't force people to take up certain careers. It's about as constructive as forcing men into female dominated careers such as teaching. Give them the freedom and choice to choose their own path in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

My personal feelings are that the term 'feminism' has become divisive for whatever reason. It seems to be a catch all for all sorts from one extreme to the other but with most landing somewhere in the middle. Like any cause it has gotten hijacked by some groups and it has also evolved in a number of different directions.

I think we need to go back to basics and focus on the original aim of feminism, Gender Equality. There are gender issues that affect both sexes, some issues are similar and some are very different. If we want to arrive at place where both sexes feel equal before the law and are empowered to live a life free from judgement or discrimination because of their sex then Feminism or Men's Rights movements are going to be the vehicles that take us there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement