Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow Hocked Dogs legs?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a dogs legs being cow hocked? By this I mean the on the rear legs of the dog the hocks or heels are close together and turn inwards and the feet turn slightly outwards. I have had her xrayed for hips and knees and all is well. But why does this happpen and will it affect her throughout her life? I would really appreciate other stories or information about this.

I would also appreciate if anyone knew a vet in Meath who has a very good name for dealing with orthopaedic issues in dogs? Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed is your dog? How old is your dog now?

What kind of exercise are you doing with your dog? Is your dog lame or walking funny at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Hi there! She is a collie (almost a border collie) and she is 3. She is a rescue dog and did not get a good start in life (ie nutrition etc.) No she is not lame (far from it!) but walks a bit funny - she is not limping or anything. She gets normal walks etc and there are no real problems at the moment. I am just curious if anyone had a dog like this what thier experience was.

The vet xrayed her and says she is fine but never commented on her slightly off shaped legs. It was only later I came across the term "cow hocked" and said to myself this is what she has. Again it is the hocks (the joint below the knee) which turn together inwards and the feet turn outwards. Also she doesnt seem to really bend her knees when she walks and does not bend them easily when you try to force her to. But again vet says all xrays are clear and fine. I suppose Im concerned that there is some other problem causing it - or perhaps it is just an aesthetic flaw which will never cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah well that explains it a bit more then. I thought she was a young dog.

If this is a result of her bad start then i dont think theres a whole lot that can be done really as shes mature now so all the bones have developed.

Maybe put her on a good joint supplement to help her. Unless she develops hip dysplacia then theres not really anything you can do apart from keeping a good eye on her.

Its good that shes been x-rayed and the vet doesnt see anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our experience was corrective surgery in both legs :( - my dog is 2 weeks into crate rest having had the second leg done on the 25th of October but his is a rare case. Our vet has seen only seen it once before in 10 years.

Are the bones themselves ok? I did a lot of reading up online etc when my guy started showing symptoms and read that if it's just a conformation problem where the bones are fine some dogs respond well to conditioning and straighten up.
    The problem you're going to have is that if the leg is not straight and the dog is walking funny she's not going to be able to build her muscles up properly and they'll be underdevoloped which just adds to the problem so it's a vicious cycle. Hydrotherapy really helped with building muscle.

As I said my guy was a rare case - the growth plates on one side of the tibia closed before the other so the bones were curved. He had underdevloped muscle in his legs, his pads were sore from uneven wear and he'd get sore if he excercised too much so he was really restricted excercise wise. We went to UCD and they told us the surgery was too expensive and too difficult and to leave him how he was and let him wear his joints away. We got a second opinion in Gilabbey Vets in Cork and they decided that surgery was the best option to save him doing joint and ligament damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Billy McCartney in Baldoyle is a brilliant orthopaedic vet, not Meath I know, but not too far:)

http://www.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/maire_louise_veterinary_hospital+veterinary_surgeons+dublin+ms-90008159.html?index=123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    Billy McCartney in Baldoyle is a brilliant orthopaedic vet, not Meath I know, but not too far:)

http://www.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/maire_louise_veterinary_hospital+veterinary_surgeons+dublin+ms-90008159.html?index=123

Our vet in Cork trained him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thank you very much everyone. I hope your dog is doing well - poor old thing. I do think this sounds much more serious than my situation. Her bones are fine (I think) xrays all good - hips and knees fine - and she really doesnt show any discomfort and it certainly doesnt stop her from doing anything. I was curious as to other causes of it.

Many thanks for the vet recommendation.:)

Advertisement