Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

farting dog!

Options
  • 07-11-2011 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

As the title says...One of my boys is well to put it mildly absolutely just rank, i mean tears in my eyes bad.
    They were on Pedigree chum dry food when I got them. Been trying for ages to get them on something better now after trying them on a few brands they're on Redmills leader.

His poos are fine,wormed up to date. Just the gas!! he has lost a little weight since on the new food but not so much that i'm worried. He has also calmed down a lot.

the other lad doesnt have this problem. He's even running away from him at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Some folk swear that charcoal tablets are great , if that fails there is a trick just after he's droppped his guts - light a match and as its flaring alight blow it out and wave it around to let the smoke circulate - I've had to do it and it does work .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ashblag wrote: »
    As the title says...One of my boys is well to put it mildly absolutely just rank, i mean tears in my eyes bad.
    They were on Pedigree chum dry food when I got them. Been trying for ages to get them on something better now after trying them on a few brands they're on Redmills leader.

His poos are fine,wormed up to date. Just the gas!! he has lost a little weight since on the new food but not so much that i'm worried. He has also calmed down a lot.

the other lad doesnt have this problem. He's even running away from him at this stage.
    If your dog is still farting on the Redmills then its prob not agreeing with him so id consider changing.
    How long has he been on the Redmills and did you change over gradually?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

switched our collie to james wellbeloved recently as most other foods seemed to cause her ezcema to flare up. So far so good, no itchy skin and her farts/poo have, shall we say...lost their potency... at one point our little monster used to be able to clear rooms with the smell but james wellbeloved has seriously helped! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

It might be medication, if the dog is on any?

Medication can cause stomach upsets. Our greyhound makes the worst smells ever when he's on Metacam.

Nerves can also make more windy-pops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

it could be down to the type of food he's eating. we had the same problem with our new puppy, she was disgustingly smelly. on a trip to the vets we asked about it, the vet said some dogs are allergic to the colouring in their food, so if he's eating colourful nuggets maybe change them and see how you get on.

another thing could be feeding him food that you might have had for your dinner,etc human food can lead to alot of farting in dogs! we also got those coal lumps from the pet shop, you leave them soaking in water that youre going to give to your dog, they actually help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is he inhaling ie gulping down the food - that can add to it as well? It could be something in the food that doesn't agree with him eg I recently worked out that the rice in my dogs food wasn't agreeing with him and no probs since switching to a cereal free food. Our friends have a setter and always laugh that his farts are so loud his male owner can hear them even thou he's deaf in one ear lol! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

If theres a cure please tell me :)Ive 2 boxers who are rotten hahaha.Where can ye get charcoal tablets?and how often are they given?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be the food, I found Burns ..although pricey..helps when a dog has a farty tum putting him on it long term might be an idea if the rice and chicken doesn't agree with him perhaps try the pork and potato as with some dogs even rice doesn't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I find that my girl farted a lot on most foods so I switched to RedMills Winner Beef and Rice

- I know this isn't great food but after trying lots of higher quality feeds (select gold, leader supreme, arden grange etc.) I have found this works for my girl.

After doing some research I got the idea (just from reading different things, not by any means medical or hard cold fact) that a lower protein diet (~20-22%) may help with her fart/stools.... Its worked for her, possibly by coincidence, but it could be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i found that when i fed meat only, it caused awful smells, but when i included more veg in diet it help and no more smelly sitting room,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My little fella is on royal canine Junior, tried the redmills leader he didnt seem to like it but the other night I gave him a treat of some bakers samples I got on the freebie thread :o and my god the smell of him later that night :eek: never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

You could also add a dollop of natural yogurt to your dogs food. Its cheap and effective. Well it worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

@ andreac yeah changed the food over very gradually over a few weeks. Just back from the vets for booster shots, He checked him over turns out he is constipated. He's a little fecker for not drinking water. Giving him some oily fish with his dinner tonight vet said should do the trick.

He was a lot worse on the pedigree dry food, I know a lot of you dont like Redmills but the doggies like it and i figure has to be better than that pedigree muck.

Advertisement