Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurrent infections after neutering

Options
  • 07-11-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Fargo our 13 months old Jack Russell/King Charles cross was neutered at 6 months. All seemed healed for about 3 months and then he developed an infection at teh wound scar, with weeping. Cue a round of antibiotics and all seemed fine again.

Then it recurred, more antibiotics, and the on the third one the vets operated to try to find the cause. This was last month and it was a big op for the little man, his scar was about 4-5 inches long and he was in a lot of pain, but we thought worth it cause now that should be the end of it.

This morning we checked his belly, as we do every few days and the infection is back. the vet had said if it recurred it would be directly over whatever the issue was, so now he's in again tomorrow for another op.

Has anyone experienced this before? The poor little man is only about 2 weeks off his tablets and just back to his mad self. I guess I just want to know that there is a happy ending to this for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ahh the poor fella, maybe he has a low immunity has the vet done blood tests to rule anything else out?

..you say his belly..is he a she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

He is defo a little he. :D No blood tests done as they so far seem to think it's a stitch left in or something similar.

He's still such a baby we just want him to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Now I'm really worried, the vet this morning said he couldn't do anymore, that his little anal gland had burst. He doesn't want to go in again incase he hits his sphicter muscle. At the last op he'd cleared it as much as he could so now he's referred him to UCD!
    He's not put him on anti biotics, as he wants them to see it at it's worst.

Really worried about our little man.:(

Advertisement