Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering a kitten.

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am just wondering if anyone knows how I could go about becoming a foster person for a kitten.

My partner and I live and work at home so we thought we could look after a kitten that needs a lot of attention, as we are always around.

Does anyone know what the requirements are to become a foster person ?

Or is there even a demand for foster people.

Any advice anyone has would be great :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Huge demand for fosterers at the minute from what I can see.

Where are u located? Maybe try a local rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

oh really ? We are located in Dublin 7. I will google rescue places in the area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

dublin SPCA are crying out for fosterers as are cat's aid

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

+1 on the DSPCA if you tell them you're interested they will mail you lists of animals needing foster and what they require e.g. some require animal and child free homes due to infections etc but not all, some need medication. Would love to do it if I wasn't at work all day!

Fostering

Could you foster a cat or kitten?

<modsnip> Please PM the user if you wish to give indepth details of a rescue etc.

• Advertisement

I emailed them both this morning. My email to he DSPCA keeps bouncing back which is weird but it went through to Cats Aid so hopefully I hear back from them :)

serenacat wrote: »
    Fostering

Could you foster a cat or kitten?

<modsnip> Please PM the user if you wish to give indepth details of a rescue etc.

I was thinking a kitten as I assume you have to keep the kittens in their own space within your home while you are looking after them because they are more vulnerable or what have you.

I am not sure how it works with cats but I assume they need more room to wander around ..? I'm afraid a cat would run away through boredom as I live in an apartment :/

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Fostering kittens is great! It's hard not to get too attatched to them but you feel great about helping them and the shelter. It is not hard and extremely enjoyable! Please update this thread if you get any foster kittens!:D

sotisme wrote: »
    Fostering kittens is great! It's hard not to get too attatched to them but you feel great about helping them and the shelter. It is not hard and extremely enjoyable! Please update this thread if you get any foster kittens!:D

Sure- I'll let you know how I get on :)

Just one more question.

When you foster an animal do you cover the costs of all the stuff the animal needs yourself, like, food, toys, bed, medical costs (should there be some) etc or does it depend on the animal shelter you work with. I've applied to Cats Aid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Hi there,
    I foster for the dspca and they really need more fosterers. I know they have had a problem with their email so if you want to get onto them ringing would be your best bet.
    I don't know about cats aid but with the dspca they provide everything, food, litter, litter tray, food bowls etc. They provide all the vet stuff so it costs you nothing.
    Its such a rewarding thing to do and so much fun too, you'll have a great time!And it is hard giving them back the first few times but you get used to it and there's always another cute kitten or cat waiting for a foster home:)
    If you've any other questions ask away. Good luck!

Thanks a million for the info. I will definitely get in touch with them :) .

I'm fostering at the moment, it actually rocks!!!

hahaha- yeah I took on two kittens the day after I wrote my last post.

Its been a blast so far- not looking forward to them going to their forever home though :(

30Min wrote: »
    hahaha- yeah I took on two kittens the day after I wrote my last post.

Its been a blast so far- not looking forward to them going to their forever home though :(

my cat is loving the kitten too! there was much hissing for the first few days now they play together and rub heads! I hope he gets on just as well with the next kittens!

Advertisement