Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done taxi drivers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

yes , good old irish rail

a packed train from cork to dublin last monday had no working toilets .
    total trip time 3.3 hours .

'due to the bad weather ' ROFL

so 150 + people had to leave the train in templemore and q for 30 minutes to use 2 tiny toilets in a practically abandoned train station .

thats real customer service .

buying 'state of the art ' trains that have a jacks that breaks down when its cold.

genius

any news on that cab driver - did he plough it into a wall yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

oisindoyle wrote: »
    well i cannot see how anyone be they breadman postman housewife doctor accountant ,taximan LIE about the conditions we are experiencing at the moment .
    It's quite evident that you are trying to stir things up with daft comments ,
    As for you spinning wheels comment ,again I would suggest you are just trying to stir things up because your comment is nonsenscial and false .
    End of..

Case closed..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zascar wrote: »
    All taxi drivers should have show chains. I don't really understand why they all just don;t go out and buy a pair for less than €100 - they'll make their money back many times in a few days and help out a lot of people in need.
    snow chains can only be used in snow so deep that there is no chance of them touching tarmac

as others have pointed out they can damage the road, but they also damage tyres if driven on tarmac

But taxi's charge by time so lots of stories of taxi journies that cost more than an overnight in a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

-Chris- wrote: »
    Can we dial the taxi-bashing down a bit?
    well maybe if the thread was set up by a genuine punter they might get some sympathy ,but to start a thread and start blowing your own trumpet really says alot doesn't it.
    well they'll get no praise of me :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OK, so when I say:
    I say fair play to those taxi drivers (both inside and outside Dublin) who continued working and doing their best to get people safely home. It's not easy driving in those conditions and I'm sure a lot were tempted to throw the towel in many times over the course of the evening...

...I think we should take these threads in the spirit in which their meant and recognise the difficult jobs some people are required to do in these conditions.

Asking politely that we allow taxi drivers to have a thread (just like the public transport workers) have, referred to here:
    There's a similar thread about the public transport drivers/mechanics/controllers which is equally deserved.

I think it was a fair request.

When I asked more strongly:

...let's try and stay relatively on-topic rather than getting caught up in negative what ifs.

I think the request was clear, again, that the thread be treated as the OP intended. There are other threads for bashing of various transport providers - bashing in this thread is off-topic.

As such:
    luzon wrote: »
    Well at least the trains are running in this weather keep up the excellent work Irish Rail.

Luzon banned for 2 days for disregarding mod request.

well maybe if the thread was set up by a genuine punter they might get some sympathy ,but to start a thread and start blowing your own trumpet really says alot doesn't it.
    well they'll get no praise of me :D.

dirtynosebeeps banned for 3 days for disregarding mod request and for questioning mod request on-thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I don't think that there is a single adult in Irish cities who hasn't been delighted to see a lit taxi sign and the car pull over at the end of a night out.

People may complain about the prices of taxis, the quality of cars or hygiene of drivers but I'll bet that at the side of the road when stuck trying to get home you'd be glad for a car twice as old and twice the price.

So fair play to the taxi drivers for keeping it going. The fact you make a quid at it is neither here nor there. If you weren't making money you'd be at home in front of the fire! Same as bus drivers don't do it for the good of their health.

If you don't want to pay, don't take a taxi!

Well done taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Maybe all these 'thanks to...' threads should be merged?

I tried once during the freeze to get a cab only to be told "you're joking" and I had to walk. For balance Dublin Bus abandoned the route for several days, and M3 Parkway to Clonsilla was out of action for several days due to frozen points (sounds like a couple of kettles of boiling water would have sorted that one out) in case anyone thinks heavy rail was unaffected.

(Mod explanatory note just in case of confusion: I'm not bashing anyone, just stating facts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

n97 mini wrote: »
    Maybe all these 'thanks to...' threads should be merged?

I think there's 3 threads, certainly not too many to exist separately. Also, if you merged them you're likely to then have inter-modal sniping.
    I'm happier with the individual "thanks to" threads tbh, it's a nice change from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

to the genuine travelling public out there who are saying THANK YOU to the taxi drivers of ireland whom helped them out during the recent bad weather .from one anyways , YOUR WELCOME . ;):p
    its all part of the service .

• Advertisement
Advertisement