Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best method for sending sports gear internationally?

• 24-05-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.

My brother is working in an orphanage in Nepal and asked me to source some sports gear to send over. I've gotten 5 cricket bats, a load of basketballs, rugbyballs, footballs etc. and tag rugby tags. Just looking into the best way of sending these, for hopefully the cheapest price.

If I bring these all to An Post would they be able to box them up for me and send them off for whatever price it costs or will I have to box it all up myself. Obviously I'm thinking I should deflate all the balls and send a pump with it all to lower the amount of space I'm gonna take up!

So my main questions are really;

1. How to package the stuff up
    2. Are An Post the best option, and if not who should I send it with?
    3. How much will it cost me roughly? (I'm going to estimated it'll all weigh in at 10kg, could be vastly underestimating though) I've looked at registered post on an Post and this would cost me 85 euro, can I get it any cheaper?

Would really apreciated if you could help answer these questions, very inexperienced at sending anything other than a letter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Offside wrote: »
    My brother is working in an orphanage in Nepal and asked me to source some sports gear to send over. I've gotten 5 cricket bats, a load of basketballs, rugbyballs, footballs etc. and tag rugby tags. Just looking into the best way of sending these, for hopefully the cheapest price.
    Why are you sending basic items half way around the world? For the cost of the postage, you could probably buy the lot there.
    If I bring these all to An Post would they be able to box them up for me
    No, you need your own box, ready to travel
    1. How to package the stuff up
    Robust box, prefably one that is somewhat waterproof.
    2. Are An Post the best option, and if not who should I send it with?
    Shop around. DHL, UPS, etc. are likely to be better options.
    3. How much will it cost me roughly?
    How long is a piece of string?
    (I'm going to estimated it'll all weigh in at 10kg, could be vastly underestimating though)
    Well, break out the bathroom scales.
    I've looked at registered post on an Post and this would cost me 85 euro, can I get it any cheaper?
    Shop around. DHL, UPS, etc. are likely to be better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

As far as i know volume of the package will affect the price too over a certain size.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Victor wrote: »
    Why are you sending basic items half way around the world? For the cost of the postage, you could probably buy the lot there.

Basic items? It's an orphanage in Nepal. They asked my brother to try and get anything at all that he could sent over. He said the kids have pretty much nothing to play with and the stuff would go a long way over there to make them happier. Its not a case of wiring money to him and him being able to stroll into a sports shop in Nepal, he's up in the middle of nowhere.

Besides, have received a lot of charity to get what I have gotten so I kind of have to send it over.
    Thanks for your help anyway, will look into all the other companies and sort out some sort of packaging. Cheers.

Advertisement