Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birds' bath

Options
  • 14-02-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought last week from Aldi the bath for birds.

It's been out in the garden next to the feeders for about 10 days now and the birds ignore it completely.

Could it be that it is too easy to find water in the area and the birds just prefere other spot or there is anything in particular that can be done?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always find that the birds use the bird bath more in the summer - unless it's very frosty and they can't find water easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If we get another freeze, fill it with water first thing in the morning. The birds will appreciate an unfrozen water source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My bird baths get constant use all year round. I find they are better positioned away from the feeders and near shelter from shrubs, trees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

OP, it can take a while for them to get used to it also. They'll use it eventually, don't worry. As well as the birds, in summer I see wasps using mine to get water to cool down their nests (back when we used to get sunshine in summer!). My dog also likes to take a drink from it too, the fecker, her two bowls aren't sufficient obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Mine was never used by the many visiting birds. I gave up with it. There's plenty of water sources around the house so I assume they prefer the fresh flowing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Garden Birds much prefer a still shallow water souce for bathing so will use bird baths over nearby flowing water. Perserver with it. They'll use it if you keep it topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks Srameen.

I reckon even the smallest birds would only be knee height in the middle of the stream and it barely moves. Has good banks too where I can see plenty of tracks.

Advertisement