Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeding juvenile robins

Options
  • 22-02-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed two young robins in my garden today and one of them in particular seems to be calling out for its parents and flapping its wings looking for food :(

Does anyone have any ideas if there's anything special I could put out which would tempt them to eat? I already have seeds and nuts in a feeder and I throw out suet sprinkles now and again - is this enough?

I know I can't force them to eat the goodies I have on offer but it's breaking my heart to see them getting agitated.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

young robins as in with the golden flecked front and no red at all on them?

Or a robin with a red breast flapping it's wings to be fed by another robin.

The latter is a female robing looking to be fed by the male. They do this when they pair up before and during the breeding season. The female will cheep over and over and vibrate her wings and the male will bring her food and put it into her beak.

Young robins have no red at all on them, and look quite different from the adults. It is a bit early for them to be about, although there was a few cases last year of fledged robins in late Febuary and early March, but this year we have had more frost so there should be less insects around, which normally has a big effect on when they breed.

At present I have a makle blackbird that has started to load up his beak and take them away with him rather than doing his normal eating routine at the windowsill, so I imagine he has a female waiting on him now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Seems way too early for 2010 fledglings. Possibly a courtship ritual - female demanding food from the male. See what sort of provider he is before laying his eggs! As above, if red breasted, then an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Oops, sorry. Must be a female because she has a red breast but has some blackish streaks down the front of her chest?

My resident robin was not too pleased and chased her out of the garden but, like most females, she's a tough cookie and isn't giving up :D

Many thanks for the info folks.....I can stop worrying about them now.

Advertisement