Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver length

Options
  • 19-10-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

i was just wondering is there a specific shaft length for a driver , i'm 5 foot 11 and is use a driver that has a shaft length of 44 inches , is that too big ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

gcurran97 wrote: »
    i was just wondering is there a specific shaft length for a driver , i'm 5 foot 11 and is use a driver that has a shaft length of 44 inches , is that too big ?

Might be, I'm 5.10.5 and driver shaft is 43 inches (I think, 44 takes goes just past the face?). At a Taylor Made Demo day during the summer using Trackman they recommended putting an inch of black tape on the top of the shaft and gripping below that (that is if I wasn't going to be buying a new Taylor Made Driver :-) ). They maintain most drivers are too long unless you are quite tall.

Seems to have helped me anyway, give it a try or just grip down an extra inch (tape makes you remember)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

44 is shorter than all off the shelf models. Most are 45 and above.
    Its the old debate, increased shaft length can affect accuracy but might give you more distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

elgenerale wrote: »
    44 is shorter than all off the shelf models. Most are 45 and above.
    Its the old debate, increased shaft length can affect accuracy but might give you more distance.

And the manufacturers prefer to sell distance as opposed to accuracy so we have 44-45 inch stock shafts. Probably a few inches too much for most of us.

Sergio plays a 42.5 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

44 should be grand, I'm the same height roughly.

The likes of the X2hot and G30 are nearer 46"

I play 45 and find it a happy medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Depends how you are measuring the shaft - are you measuring to where the shaft enters the head or all the way to the bottom of the head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Length doesn't matter if you can hit the center of the club face. Play the longest shaft you can control.

Length doesn't matter if you can hit the center of the club face. Play the longest shaft you can control.

Yes but the shorter the club the easier it is to hit out of the centre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gcurran97

Would hitting the ball off centre cause the ball to slice or hook massively ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If you hit it off the heel it will, same as off the toe. If its only half a ball either way it won't massively slice/hook

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    If you hit it off the heel it will, same as off the toe. If its only half a ball either way it won't massively slice/hook

Gear effect is underrated, any off center hit will not go where the swing directs it to go.

Most have drivers that are too long, 44 inches would be best for most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Most off the shelf drivers are over 45 inches these days. E.g a standard Ping G25 driver is 45.75 inches. The average driver on tour is around 44.5 inches. So that says a lot. The reason these companies have made them longer and longer down the years is that it allows them claim that you can get an extra 10 yards of this new product etc etc. I don't think amateurs should be using longer clubs than the pros. If the pros could control a 45.75 driver then they would use it. Tiger in his best days was using a 43 inch driver.

Keep in mind though that just cutting a couple of inches of your driver will reduce the swing weight. This may or may not be a problem for you.

I use 44.25 and am very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Depends how you are measuring the shaft - are you measuring to where the shaft enters the head or all the way to the bottom of the head?

http://www.golf-components.com/usupprreleof.html

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Shorter club = more control and tbh it doesn't affect the distance too much. It's all about finding your happy medium.

I have a 45" Taylormade r11 with a stock stiff shaft that I was struggling both length and accuracy wise with. I just thought that it was because I was playing infrequently over the past couple of years.

I then went with my old driver - a cobra s9 with a 43" inch aldila shaft with a bit more weight for my last 3 or 4 games and I hit the centre of the club more which naturally increased yardage and accuracy

woodoo wrote: »

I know how to measure it - was asking the OP if he knew or how long his current driver shaft was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Interesting article that is relevant to this...

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2014/10/swing-pattern-vs-strike-point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

PARlance wrote: »
    And the manufacturers prefer to sell distance as opposed to accuracy so we have 44-45 inch stock shafts. Probably a few inches too much for most of us.

Sergio plays a 42.5 iirc.

43.5 hactually. If you are under 5ft 10 i would say you would benefit from shorter driver. Friend of mine is only like 5ft6 and stock g25 driver was waaaay too long. I cut 1.5 inches off it for him and hes been hitting it a lot more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tones69 wrote: »
    43.5 hactually. If you are under 5ft 10 i would say you would benefit from shorter driver. Friend of mine is only like 5ft6 and stock g25 driver was waaaay too long. I cut 1.5 inches off it for him and hes been hitting it a lot more consistent.

Cheers, was sure I heard it was under 43 before. 43.5 still noticeably different from what the manufacturers are giving us Joe Soaps.

Tiger apparently has played with a 43.5 too, you could argue that he can't control that too well.

Think this is a few years old:

http://www.wishongolf.com/books/search_club_excerpt.php

"Let me put it another way. Tiger Woods has swung a 43.5 inch driver most of his career on tour. If he could hit the ball straight with a 45 inch club–he would. He can't; so he doesn't. And he knows if he did use a longer driver, he'd have even more trouble keeping it in play. The average driver length for all the other pros on the PGA Tour today is 44.5 inches. Now if Tiger and the rest of his pals know they can't control a 45 inch long stick, what are the chances that you can?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Just take off the grip, cut down the shaft and regrip?

Just take off the grip, cut down the shaft and regrip?

Thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

I've been following this thread with interest.
    Played today and I play left handed and fade the ball left to right. Today, fading as usual and last 4 driving holes, I decided to come down on the grip about 1" - 1 1/2".
    Every drive was bang on straight. I was amazed! I did notice some distance loss but I'm sure I could get that back with a bit of tweaking.
    A few more rounds experimenting before I go cutting the shaft.
    Cheers for the tip.

• Advertisement

shane 007 wrote: »
    Played today and I play left handed and fade the ball left to right. Today, fading as usual and last 4 driving holes, I decided to come down on the grip about 1" - 1 1/2".
    Every drive was bang on straight. I was amazed! I did notice some distance loss but I'm sure I could get that back with a bit of tweaking.
    Cheers for the tip.

Thats a draw sham :)

Thats a draw sham :)

Sorry I meant to say right to left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

shane 007 wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip.

Before you cut the shaft be aware you will change the swing weight.
    To keep the same swing weight you will need to add weight to the head.
    I did it with an R11s driver as it has weight ports. I bought the weights on eBay.

I did it with an R11s driver as it has weight ports. I bought the weights on eBay.
    Might just keep the length for those dog legs :) and hold it down on the grip for the straight ones.

Yes - a rough calculation states that you need to add 2g of weight to the head for every quarter inch you remove from the butt end - so taking an inch and a half off would equal 12g of lead tape (the equivalent of 6 swing weights) in order to keep the swing weight the same.

(I read too much WRX :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Yes - a rough calculation states that you need to add 2g of weight to the head for every quarter inch you remove from the butt end - so taking an inch and a half off would equal 12g of lead tape (the equivalent of 6 swing weights) in order to keep the swing weight the same.

(I read too much WRX :o)

Note that changing the swing weight may not be an issue for you. I cut down my three wood about 1 and half inches and didn't add any weight. Feels lighter alright but hitting it better than before so don't feel the need to change weight.

Advertisement