Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still not pregnant

Options
  • 12-10-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi girls. Myself & my husband are trying for a baby. I came off the pill 1year ago after been on it for almost 7 years. Yet still no baby! I get regular periods every month even tho i pray i dont. I almost get jelous of girls having one night stands and fall pregnant straight away... Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Have you tried fertility sticks? Also try take the pressure off e.g. a romantic break for some good old fashioned s*x. I cannot really offer much beyond emotional support but I really hope it happens for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭lizzyjane

Thanks for your reply. Talk to me more about ferlity sticks??? Wat are they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

There are many things at this stage that you can do.
    You need to ensure you are ovulating which can be done using the a Basel thermometer (2 decimal points) every morning. If you get the book Taking Charge of your Fertility it explains all about charting and temping and getting to know your body and fertility signs.
    There is such a small window every month for actually getting pregnant that I wonder how anybody does.
    The clearblue dual hormone ovulation sticks are very helpful at giving an indication as to your fertile period.
    Also get to know what your cervical mucous looks like at different times of the month.
    I started taking NHP Fertility Support for women supplements which I found to be great. Ensure you are at least taking Folic acid.
    Relax and try not to focus too much on all of the above they are just indicators...listen to your body.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Bp may mean ovulation predictor kits to determine when you're ovulating. Really hope it happens for you.

Blingy wrote: »
    There are many things at this stage that you can do.
    You need to ensure you are ovulating which can be done using the a Basel thermometer (2 decimal points) every morning. If you get the book Taking Charge of your Fertility it explains all about charting and temping and getting to know your body and fertility signs.
    There is such a small window every month for actually getting pregnant that I wonder how anybody does.
    The clearblue dual hormone ovulation sticks are very helpful at giving an indication as to your fertile period.
    Also get to know what your cervical mucous looks like at different times of the month.
    I started taking NHP Fertility Support for women supplements which I found to be great. Ensure you are at least taking Folic acid.
    Relax and try not to focus too much on all of the above they are just indicators...listen to your body.
    Best of luck.

Thank you xxx

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »
    Bp may mean ovulation predictor kits to determine when you're ovulating. Really hope it happens for you.

Thank you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

lizzyjane wrote: »
    Thank you xx

You're welcome. Try and relax about it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 4, and #2 and #3 both took over a year to conceive. Talk to your doctor if you are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Try taking a maca supplement I think that's what helped me. I also stopped running for a while in case you do a lot of exercise this might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

I've been reading about the lady comp for contraception. It takes your temp and stuff every morning and it basically tells you when you're fertile so you can prevent pregnancy or get pregnant. Expensive but is a method of contraception for the future too.

https://www.lady-comp.co.uk/

Sorry if I'm off the mark with advice, I just stumbled over here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Check with your GP about fertility testing in the rotunda if worried, but I think you're still well within the normal timeframe..took me 2 years from coming off the combined pill with my first, my second I was a bit late taking mini pill once and conceived!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

KKkitty wrote: »

Yes sorry that is what I meant - I was so surprised that I ovulated two days after my period ended especially because I had an app on my phone that estimated it to be a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd really recommend taking your temperature every morning. When you do it for a couple or months or more it gives you a good overview of your cycle, when you ovulate etc. I used to put all my details into fertility friend and it would predict ovulation dates etc for me. I found temping good for telling me firstly that I was ovulating and that I was pregnant much earlier than a pregnancy test would've.

I also used the clear blue fertility monitor after temping for a few months and having not gotten pregnant.

On my daughter I ovulated much earlier than I'd have thought so I'd have missed it if I hadn't used the clear blue monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm going to post a long mail I sent to a sibling who was thinking of TTC after I got pregnant, some of it might be useful! Having said that if you are familiar with all this and have been tracking then after a year it might be time to see the doc

Hey,
    You might actually know all of this already, I really didn't know anything when I first started thinking about babies and actually trying to conceive not prevent it!

So trying to conceive is actually statistically ****. You have about a 15% chance of getting pregnant in any one cycle. About 85% of couples will get pregnant within one year. This is pretty rubbish.

On the plus side there are things that you can do to improve the situation that aren't that tough but require a bit of commitment at times. The reddit forum Trying for a baby is brilliant for information and between friends, that and google I learnt a lot. Even when not trying yet there are things you can start immediately as well as things that you can do when you get to the "officially trying" stage.

1. Start a prenatal immediately. My doc advised this too. Up to six months in advance of trying. The consultant said on Wednesday this is why my Iron is so good at this stage in pregnancy

2. Start tracking your cycle, even just as simple as when TOM is. I used the Glow app for two months. There are tons of apps for this and the data is really useful for when you get to the trying stage. Essentially you need to figure out how long your cycle is and when you ovulate to find the most likely time of the month. This avoids you trying for months on end but always missing the boat.

3. Quit the pill and use barrier methods. This is a fairly controversial one since obviously if you dont want to get pregnant right now it feels a little scary. However it can take a year + for your cycle to regulate after the pill and if you don't have a regular cycle its really difficult to get pregnant. I used to have to take regular six months breaks from the pill (think 6 out of every 18 months) and we used barrier because to be honest none of them agree with me at all. Once I got married I stopped using them entirely and this probably had a lot to do with me conceiving so quickly.

Ok those are the things you can do beforehand that help settle things! Once you actually decide to start trying then:

4. Figure out when you are ovulating. If you've been tracking for a few months and have a regular cycle this may be pretty obvious. There is no guarantee with pregnancy but figuring it out definitely helped me. There are three other things you can do to help spot ovulation
    - If you want to be more specific on this you can use a basal thermometer to help spot ovulation over a long period. Your temperature will rise with ovulation and if you are regular you will be able to spot the pattern to the rise. To be honest I tried this and couldn't spot the temp increase. If it works for you it can be even more useful though because if your temp doesn't fall back down and stays elevated you are probably pregnant
    -Ovulation strips. These are very cheap on Amazon! This can help narrow down ovulation to the specific day you are ovulating and better than basal temp it tells you in advance, again this helped me because it helped spot how early in my cycle I was ovulating which was a full week before my app was telling me
    -You can use cervical mucus monitoring to tell as well. This never worked for me as I couldn't identify any differences though I know it has for others

5. This is a funny one to say but it is fairly important. Don't overdo it. Sperm count reduces if you go at it all the time. The really dedicated TTC'ers will usually go every second day/every day only for the ovulation period itself. Apart from that there is no point in overdoing it. Sperm lives for up to three days and you don't want to stop enjoying it

6. Relax. Even as someone who got pregnant pretty easily its actually fairly stressful. Most people are doing a complete U'ee on what you have been doing for the past >10 odd years which is a little terrifying. The two week wait is interminable, waiting to see if you have been successful even when its your first month (I was stressed!). However as you probably know the more stressed you are the more likely your hormones will go mental and you may end up with a late period making things even more stressful.

7. No matter how much you want to, testing before 12 DPO's (days post ovulation) will get predominantly negatives, even if you are pregnant so try and hold off. I got positive at 12 DPO which was actually 3 days before my period was due (unusual, I ovulate very early in my cycle). I will admit I had a negative two days before that which was a crushing disappointment. I should have known better. The only reason I tested again was because I planned on going drinking and thought I better check

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod Note:
    Moved to Trying to Conceive forum.

OP, you might find a lot of information in other threads in this forum helpful .

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

1. Start a prenatal immediately. My doc advised this too. Up to six months in advance of trying. The consultant said on Wednesday this is why my Iron is so good at this stage in pregnancy

Sorry to reopen this. Can I just ask what is a prenatal? Is it a prenatal checkup? If so I assume any GP can do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I presume its prenatal supplements, you can get them in Boots etc. My iron was still low throughout both pregnancies even though I took them all throughout pregnancy and when TTC. Some contain folic acid.

lazygal wrote: »
    I presume its prenatal supplements, you can get them in Boots etc. My iron was still low throughout both pregnancies even though I took them all throughout pregnancy and when TTC. Some contain folic acid.

Exactly, sorry. It turned out to be important for me because I ended up vomiting them up all the way through first trimester but luckily my levels were very high because I had been taking them for three months in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Exactly, sorry. It turned out to be important for me because I ended up vomiting them up all the way through first trimester but luckily my levels were very high because I had been taking them for three months in advance

I think it really depends on other factors too. I had bad vomiting both times (not quite as bad second time) and was on iron and the supplements both times for the duration. I had been taken the prenatal one both times and took iron prenatally second time, to no avail! My iron level wouldn't be great anyway though.

Boo thats annoying alright! It can work according to the GP so I suppose everything is no harm

• Advertisement
Advertisement