Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Digest Events

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

Wat is this event all about ?

In a nutshell, it's about honest golfers subsidising prizes for less honest golfers and free advertising for Golf digest and Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

In a nutshell, it's about honest golfers subsidising prizes for less honest golfers and free advertising for Golf digest and Volvo.

I'd be fairly certain their involvement costs a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

I'd be fairly certain their involvement costs a lot of money.

Yes that's why they don't charge over the odds for the pleasure of playing, oh wait....!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

dwd wrote: »
    Was just looking at the list of events for 2014, some great courses. I've signed myself up for the Portmarnock Links event anyway, and will probably play the Concra Woods event, if the boards society doesn't play there this year, anyone else planning on playing?

i also booked portmarnock links and have being waiting for a chance to play concra woods. i notice they have increased pormarnock to 65 from 55euro what i paid. hav,nt played either course at portmarnock is it the hotel course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

portmarnock links it says which is the langer designed course not the old course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Anyone who is interested in Portmarnock Links outing on 14th Feb should book up immediately, it looks like a lot of the slots have been taken today after Golf Digest sent an email to everyone on their distribution list. Still availability for the 9.10 to 9.50 times. I'm in at 10.40, haven't played in one of these before.

A question - when you get the email confirmation it says to sign in an hour before your tee time, does anybody know, from past experience, what happen if you say only book in 15 mins before?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Anyone who is interested in Portmarnock Links outing on 14th Feb should book up immediately, it looks like a lot of the slots have been taken today after Golf Digest sent an email to everyone on their distribution list. Still availability for the 9.10 to 9.50 times. I'm in at 10.40, haven't played in one of these before.

A question - when you get the email confirmation it says to sign in an hour before your tee time, does anybody know, from past experience, what happen if you say only book in 15 mins before?

Once you are at the first tee 10 minutes before your tee time there is no problem. You can land in at anytime to sign in beforehand. I have played in a number of these events over the last couple of years and have enjoyed every one including the monsoon conditions we had in Killarney last year. The fact that its your first one I am sure you will enjoy the razzamatazz of it all (excuse the spelling). The announcement of your name and home club over the loudspeaker along with the flags and gazebo etc is fun but amazing how it seems to make guys more nervous than normal on the first tee, even though it is probably only your own fourball and the following group watching you. Enjoy it and particularly the grub half way round! If you can stay for the raffle, some good prizes

millerj wrote: »
    Once you are at the first tee 10 minutes before your tee time there is no problem. You can land in at anytime to sign in beforehand. I have played in a number of these events over the last couple of years and have enjoyed every one including the monsoon conditions we had in Killarney last year. The fact that its your first one I am sure you will enjoy the razzamatazz of it all (excuse the spelling). The announcement of your name and home club over the loudspeaker along with the flags and gazebo etc is fun but amazing how it seems to make guys more nervous than normal on the first tee, even though it is probably only your own fourball and the following group watching you. Enjoy it and particularly the grub half way round! If you can stay for the raffle, some good prizes

Thanks very much for the details, looking forward to the day out now

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

What tees do they usually play off? I am very temped to join the Portmarnock Links event. Never played it and would love too

Don't know.

Only 15 slots left 8.20 to 9.20

http://www.brsgolf.com/golfdigest/opens_day.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Are they gone up in price this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Id say it would be the whites, the blues are way back and only used for pro events according to golfgraffix who is a member there years

What tees do they usually play off? I am very temped to join the Portmarnock Links event. Never played it and would love too

These events are always played off the whites

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Took the plunge and booked in at 9.10. Sounds like a really good event so looking forward to it.

Was looking at golfdigestevents.ie earlier and see they have added some extra venues this year. Seventeen days in total including Castlemartyr (June) and Adare (July) down this end of the country. €60 for Castlemartyr for a Monday event sounds a little rich and €75 for a Wednesday event for Adare. Sill imagine the Adare gig would be the better value of the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

millerj wrote: »
    Was looking at golfdigestevents.ie earlier and see they have added some extra venues this year. Seventeen days in total including Castlemartyr (June) and Adare (July) down this end of the country. €60 for Castlemartyr for a Monday event sounds a little rich and €75 for a Wednesday event for Adare. Sill imagine the Adare gig would be the better value of the two?

Mad money - it is suppose to be a promotional event. The original idea of promotional events was to promote the product. This normally involves the promoter subsidising the event, this is strange in that it seems to be the reverse logic.

Genius - if people fall for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭14handicap

Mad money - it is suppose to be a promotional event. The original idea of promotional events was to promote the product. This normally involves the promoter subsidising the event, this is strange in that it seems to be the reverse logic.

Genius - if people fall for it.

+1 totally agree.
    It should be about promoting the brand but it seems to be now about making money while promoting the brand...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Lads, been honest (and I'm totally impartial here) but it's the courses who are milking it and not golf digest. Golf Digest spend a lot of money promoting their brand and like any marketing drive it's costing them money but they are getting brand promotion in return.

The courses demand the prices and for what you get for the whole package, top courses, top prizes, food, drinks and the colour, it's a great fun day out for any avid golfer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

morrga wrote: »
    Lads, been honest (and I'm totally impartial here) but it's the courses who are milking it and not golf digest. Golf Digest spend a lot of money promoting their brand and like any marketing drive it's costing them money but they are getting brand promotion in return.

The courses demand the prices and for what you get for the whole package, top courses, top prizes, food, drinks and the colour, it's a great fun day out for any avid golfer!!

For the volumes of golfers they are getting I would expect that they should be able to get better deals with each course.

I'm not sure how many numbers they get, is it about 80 or so for it event?

If a society of 20 can get a decent discount then Golf Digest should be able to do so too. There is also the PR a club gets from being featured in the Mag...surely this is worth another discount from the club.

I would have thought that the entry should be about the same as a standard green fee.
    I would assume that most of the prizes are in some way sponsored too... Personally I think the prizes are too good, perfect for attracting the you know whos at present.

Anyway, it's all fair game and as it stands I think it still offers some value. If they're making money/breaking even then fair play. Why wouldn't they if people are willing to pay.
    They don't seem to have problems with getting the numbers.
    I think it could be a lot cheaper, don't necessarily think it should be, as it stands.

If we paid the standard green the costs would be too high. Tralee is €170 peak season, cost €80 per golf digest entry.

Adare is up there in the €120 bracket so €75 is very reasonable entry mid summer!

• Advertisement

If we paid the standard green the costs would be too high. Tralee is €170 peak season, cost €80 per golf digest entry.

Adare is up there in the €120 bracket so €75 is very reasonable entry mid summer!

Apologies, when I said standard I should have said the normal green fees an average Joe would pay.

I have yet to meet any Irish golfer that has paid €170 for Tralee in the last few years.
    I should have said "Open" rates or rates given to members guests, but I did allude to society rates.

The rack rates are there for a certain type of golfer, they tend not to have an Irish accent. I don't think it's a good argument to compare them in this instance.

The equation therefore is simply supply and demand. If any company can fill its doors at a certain price they'll charge it. Paying 60-80 quid for a fun day out on a top course once or twice a year is acceptable in most golfers opinions I would think.

The first event is on 14th Feb in Portmarnock and is €65euro?
    Yet you can book for a group online http://www.portmarnock.com/groups.html for €40euro?

Seriously what is going on here?

If the events are sponsored then the players should not be also paying 25euro each to Golf Digest....!!!

The equation therefore is simply supply and demand. If any company can fill its doors at a certain price they'll charge it. Paying 60-80 quid for a fun day out on a top course once or twice a year is acceptable in most golfers opinions I would think.

I agree with that
    PARlance wrote: »
    Anyway, it's all fair game and as it stands I think it still offers some value. If they're making money/breaking even then fair play. Why wouldn't they if people are willing to pay.
    I think it could be a lot cheaper, don't necessarily think it should be, as it stands.

I just think, as some others do, that it's just a bit "irish" to be adding a premium for a promotional event.
    I would still consider going to one, but there would be a little bit of a bad taste.

14handicap wrote: »
    The first event is on 14th Feb in Portmarnock and is €65euro?
    Yet you can book for a group online http://www.portmarnock.com/groups.html for €40euro?

Seriously what is going on here?

If the events are sponsored then the players should not be also paying 25euro each to Golf Digest....!!!

I agree, I think it puts a bad taste on the event knowing that they are meant to be hosting a sponsored event but are blatantly profiting from the day.

Ah here, go and book your 40 quid game then and play fiver a head! And don't forget the drinks and snacks on every third hole. Oh and the burger on the 9th is delicious. Concentrate on the par 3's, those nearest pin prizes are lucrative. And when you've finished your pint amongst all 4 of ye, be sure to stick around for the raffle prizes worth thousands.

Oh wait none of the above applies to your 40 quid game. You think the above isn't covered by the extra 25 quid? Should all this grow on trees? Get a sense of reality before having a moan please.

Ah here, go and book your 40 quid game then and play fiver a head! And don't forget the drinks and snacks on every third hole. Oh and the burger on the 9th is delicious. Concentrate on the par 3's, those nearest pin prizes are lucrative. And when you've finished your pint amongst all 4 of ye, be sure to stick around for the raffle prizes worth thousands.

Oh wait none of the above applies to your 40 quid game. You think the above isn't covered by the extra 25 quid? Should all this grow on trees? Get a sense of reality before having a moan please.

NOT CORRECT.
    Those prizes, drinks, goodie bags, etc. are all sponsored.
    If you ever ran a golf event you would know this.

14handicap wrote: »
    NOT CORRECT.
    Those prizes, drinks, goodie bags, etc. are all sponsored.
    If you ever ran a golf event you would know this.

And if you ran a golf event this good, why wouldn't you try make money/break even on it!

Quoting this again for you
    PARlance wrote: »

I am not having a moan, and I also said I would consider playing in them (at current prices).

As 14HC says, a lot of these goodies are subsidised... my only gripe, and it's a small one, is that the entry fee could (not should) be a bit lower.

If I was GD, would I change it? Probably wouldn't even consider a change, it's working well at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

Lads,

I can see both sides of the argument but one thing that you are also missing is the cost of the grand final which for all qualifiers is free and includes overnight accomadation and a gala dinner. Last year was carton house. Any company would charge a premium to cover the end of year event a bit like societies charge a premium on lesser know courses to cover the cost of the bigger more expensive courses...

kev.

Advertisement