Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Just on a more serious note, didn't the prodigal son get free coke n' hookers on his return?

If you come play the boards outing in Mitchelstown I'll give you a can of coke:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hope the mods don't mid a little off topic post to mark this occasion....
    Hey ya go Ilik

hooker1261073150.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Everything really needs to be spelt out here,doesn't it?

Cheers lads:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Lads I threw the toys out of the pram last night, Apologies to all for my spelling and insinuation, I saw red and shouldn't have.

Just on a more serious note, didn't the prodigal son get free coke n' hookers on his return?

Nobody likes a quitter.

First you quit the golf forum then you quit on your quit of the forum !! :p

What a quitter !!

Nobody likes a quitter.

First you quit the golf forum then you quit on your quit of the forum !! :p

What a quitter !!

*uploads images from phone*:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

welcome back to Ilik, but let's try to keep this thread for feedback lads; you can group hug at the next event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

sorry GreeBo , I never got to say welcome back. Just to show if we work together, we can do it ;)

Back on board and topic now. =)

Sanhedrin 37a:"For this reason man was created alone, to teach you that whoever destroys a single soul, he is guilty as though he had destroyed a complete world; and whoever preserves a single soul, it is as though he had preserved a whole world."

Just looking at the How did you score thread...
    Any point having 2 of these threads?
    One for good golfers and one for the rest of us :D

Nothing worse than jumping on the thread to say how delighted you are with today's 89 only for someone to put up a post 2 mins later about their disaster of a 72.....:D:o

Only messing with this post by the way!

For the good golfers out there, please show some consideration for the rest of us :D

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Just looking at the How did you score thread...
    Any point having 2 of these threads?
    One for good golfers and one for the rest of us :D

Nothing worse than jumping on the thread to say how delighted you are with today's 89 only for someone to put up a post 2 mins later about their disaster of a 72.....:D:o

Only messing with this post by the way!

For the good golfers out there, please show some consideration for the rest of us :D

AJ - I think you should lay off on thread ideas till 2015. I think your thread ideas will never be got over till then.

AJ - I think you should lay off on thread ideas till 2015. I think your thread ideas will never be got over till then.

But...but... they've been going down so well

• Advertisement

Would it be better to have some kind of a score card template where everybody would use it to post their scores and a seperate thread for lads to gloat/moan on their rounds,conditions of courses and whatnot and general banter?
    Would stop having to sift through the whole lot of garbage(myself included) posted in that thread and see at first glance fellow posters' scores.

Would it be better to have some kind of a score card template where everybody would use it to post their scores and a seperate thread for lads to gloat/moan on their rounds,conditions of courses and whatnot and general banter?
    Would stop having to sift through the whole lot of garbage(myself included) posted in that thread and see at first glance fellow posters' scores.

Sorry :mad::mad::(:rolleyes::cool::p:)

That was the general idea of the thread but as things have developed people have started expanding!

Sorry :mad::mad::(:rolleyes::cool::p:)

I don't want to know about how good your shower afterwards was:eek::D

:P
    I don't want to know about how good your shower afterwards was:eek::D

Just a bit of a joke , was a long one :P

All joking aside - I did not know that the thread was just scores - so worth a reminder - I had a thread for my scores , long story that :o

But, if that is what people want - worth reminding them, as I was just seeing long details by some others.

So just score then (if that is what people want?)

All joking aside - I did not know that the thread was just scores - so worth a reminder - I had a thread for my scores long story that :o

But, if that is what people want - worth reminding them, as I was just seeing long details by some others.

I don't want to nip the good vibe in the bud over there at all, just wondering would a seperate banter thread for the scores be even better.
    Might be an idea.

All joking aside - I did not know that the thread was just scores - so worth a reminder - I had a thread for my scores long story that :o

It may have been last years thread but people were asked to post:

Course
    Handicap
    Comp/Casual
    Gross Score/Stableford etc
    FW'S
    GREEN'S
    PUTTS
    Other relevant stats

Something like this, would need to do some digging.........

ssbob wrote: »
    It may have been last years thread but people were asked to post:

Course
    Handicap
    Comp/Casual
    Gross Score/Stableford etc
    FW'S
    GREEN'S
    PUTTS
    Other relevant stats

Something like this, would need to do some digging.........

Only thing - but not too pushed - I like reading some of the stuff from the lads in the low 70s, they are odd balls them lads, so I like the insight.

Only thing - but not too pushed - I like reading some of the stuff from the lads in the low 70s, they are odd balls them lads, so I like the insight.

+1 there myself, it was only suggested that way to make things easier for people to read. TBH some of the crap is completely irrelevant to the round in some cases but tis grand.

+1 there myself, it was only suggested that way to make things easier for people to read. TBH some of the crap is completely irrelevant to the round in some cases but tis grand.

Yes, but the conditions , how the person was feeling , their general demeanor, how they are going with their game. It is not captured anywhere else.

I guess that is taste , and some people just want numbers. Not flowery bull****.

• Advertisement

My personal preference would be to allow the original poster to post a bit more than just the bare stats.
    Where I think it starts to lose something is when others start to ask questions and the thread goes of on a bit of a solo run for a while.

Perhaps a second thread to talk about the scores?
    A bit like they do with a lot of the Photo threads in AH.

GreeBo wrote: »
    My personal preference would be to allow the original poster to post a bit more than just the bare stats.
    Where I think it starts to lose something is when others start to ask questions and the thread goes of on a bit of a solo run for a while.

Perhaps a second that to talk about the scores?
    A bit like they do with a lot of the Photo threads in AH.

How about a thread like - How Is Your Game ? (scores or anything about your game)

It will help us build up the story of the poster ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ya I do think a general chit chat thread about your round would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

How may many people do you reckon would have started a thread for each of the European tour? How many posts were there this time last year?
    The European tour is always going to be the poor cousin of the PGA.

Also I notice you didnt bother to make a new thread yourself...

Fair enough I'll start a thread in a few days about the World Golf Championships in Firestone.

To me it just feels that the quality of players/posters on the golf forum has gone down in the past year however maybe stats have gone up. If you looked back three years ago you had the likes of lads listed below (i'm sure there's others too) who offered great advice and experience but they dont seem to post much or not at all these days. While other knowledgeable golf posters dont seems to be on here as much.

Graeme1982
    Mag
    Liskey
    LOFT
    Shrinking Sheet

Before I get shouted at this isnt aimed at any moderator! Just my 2cent.

Fair enough I'll start a thread in a few days about the World Golf Championships in Firestone.

To me it just feels that the quality of players/posters on the golf forum has gone down in the past year however maybe stats have gone up. If you looked back three years ago you had the likes of lads listed below (i'm sure there's others too) who offered great advice and experience but they dont seem to post much or not at all these days. While other knowledgeable golf posters dont seems to be on here as much.

Graeme1982
    Mag
    Liskey
    LOFT
    Shrinking Sheet

Before I get shouted at this isnt aimed at any moderator! Just my 2cent.
    Moved from unrelated thread.

Graeme1982 = Mister Sifter banned for persistent trolling
    Mag = 15 posts in the last 2 weeks, pretty darn active!
    Lisky = Phillip Marlowe, seems to be pretty much taking a break from posting on boards.ie in general
    LOFT = Dunno where LOFT has gone tbh.
    Shrieking Sheet = Posting in the forum over the last few weeks

Besides the above, Im not sure what feedback you are trying to give....why do you think posters have gone away?
    surely not because of the Epic European thread?

I think we have a great mix of posters from really low to really high handicappers, although I think the quality of posting on tournaments has gone down.

I don't know why that is tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well for me I know it's because I watch nearly alll the golf on my iPad. So I cannot be over and back posting during live events.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Personally speaking - I've stopped posting here and browsing the forum in general because I don't like Greebo's moderation.

Any opinion that differs from his in relation to the forum is "wrong" and as such the forum will only ever be set in the way that he wants it to be.

Honest answer to a question on the feedback thread - so I would expect that this post is not deleted.

(Unlike others in the past that queried the same topic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I was posting here a lot a few months ago after I was firmly bitten by the golf bug but as said above the moderation by GreeBo is ruining any enjoyment I used to get from the forum.
    Any thread he posts in automatically changes to what he wants from it and on occasion that can include dragging it wildly off topic or descending into childish snipes. But God forbid someone else do the same.
    Look at the Shane Lowrey thread during the Irish open where a poster was yellow carded for saying he had a bet on Shane. It was crazy stuff. And before people think I'm having a pop because I got a weeks ban for some posts in that thread, my ban was justified but I felt what I said needed to be said at the time.
    I've pm'd another mod of this forum regarding my concerns about what should be a very active forum dying off because of one person but have received no response said yet.
    I know that this shouldn't turn into a witch hunt against GeeBo who I'm sure is a sound lad but surely if it benefits the forum his moderation rights should be taken away

• Advertisement

Personally speaking - I've stopped posting here and browsing the forum in general because I don't like Greebo's moderation.

Any opinion that differs from his in relation to the forum is "wrong" and as such the forum will only ever be set in the way that he wants it to be.

Honest answer to a question on the feedback thread - so I would expect that this post is not deleted.

(Unlike others in the past that queried the same topic).

A bit weird that you noticed an update to the Feedback thread within a couple of days for a forum you no longer browse?

Please PM me (or any mod) if you have concerns about posts being deleted.
    Off topic posts are deleted, opinions are *never* deleted.

Felexicon wrote: »
    I was posting here a lot a few months ago after I was firmly bitten by the golf bug but as said above the moderation by GreeBo is ruining any enjoyment I used to get from the forum.
    Any thread he posts in automatically changes to what he wants from it and on occasion that can include dragging it wildly off topic or descending into childish snipes. But God forbid someone else do the same.
    Look at the Shane Lowrey thread during the Irish open where a poster was yellow carded for saying he had a bet on Shane. It was crazy stuff. And before people think I'm having a pop because I got a weeks ban for some posts in that thread, my ban was justified but I felt what I said needed to be said at the time.
    I've pm'd another mod of this forum regarding my concerns about what should be a very active forum dying off because of one person but have received no response said yet.
    I know that this shouldn't turn into a witch hunt against GeeBo who I'm sure is a sound lad but surely if it benefits the forum his moderation rights should be taken away

A poster was warned for a breach of the charter.
    Whats the point in having a charter if we just ignore it?

I've said this before, but a lot of the newer members havent witnessed what this forum had deteriorated to before the moderation became a bit more strict.

All we do now is follow the charter and there is a reason for this; if you dont stick pretty rigidly to it people, being people, will push the boundaries and you end up having to infract someone and not someone else, without anything to back up the difference in decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Overall, this is a fun threat, with some great threads on it.
    But if i could recommend a new sticky thread it would be Beginners thread.
    I myself have and will be asking stupid beginner questions in the past. So instead of beginners asking a question that has been answered several times before. If it was all in same thread would be of great help and knowledge to others.
    On a seperate note, i too am not impressed with Greebos moderation. I find him very quick to have a smart ass answer for members.

Regards
    Sean

I dont think GreeBo has been very active as mod much lately.

Overall it is a tough job and he does a great Job. Dont know how he stays at it.

I think people get a bit tired of the forum and leave. New people come along. It is like the way people went from Bebo to fb to whatsapp to PIE to boards to twitter. Such is the internet. I wouldnt be reading too much into some people leaving.

The internet does not have the type of moderation that is on here, but the internet is a mess. So when people come on ,they are not use to and some dont like the control exerted here.

But, that is what makes this forum different to the normal freedom of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I think people get a bit tired of the forum and leave. New people come along. It is like the way people went from Bebo to fb to whatsapp to PIE to boards to twitter. Such is the internet. I wouldnt be reading too much into some people leaving.

Anyone else have no earthly idea what PIE is?? :o:D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Anyone else have no earthly idea what PIE is?? :o:D

Politics.ie. sorry poor TLA .

There are 20 others i'm sure.

People should go look at YouTube comments and come back and say "Thanks be ta Jaysus for Greebo. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Politics.ie. sorry poor TLA .

There are 20 others i'm sure.

People should go look at YouTube comments and come back and say "Thanks be ta Jaysus for Greebo. "

YouTube comments are hilarious in their sheer ridiculousness though, Pitch... Was looking at Bruno Mars' Michael Jackson-esque video for his song 'Treasure' the other day, and the latest comment underneath was "please don't let this one turn white" !! :D:D:D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    YouTube comments are hilarious in their sheer ridiculousness though, Pitch... Was looking at Bruno Mars' Michael Jackson-esque video for his song 'Treasure' the other day, and the latest comment underneath was "please don't let this one turn white" !! :D:D:D

If GreeBo was mod on YouTube the web or interweb or beam me up scotty (whatever it is now called) would crash.

The point I'm making is , the internet is full of just acting the bollox. This forum tries to be an honest debate with room for a bit of a joke.

But 90% on here , are here for very serious talk about golf and their golf. I'm one of the 10 % , GreeBo is right to try keep the tone for the 90 %. He will upset me and others in his style. But, people if they are around here enough understand his goals.

He debates to the death too much, but we know that too.

But fair ****s to him, if i was a mod the place would be like the Dail with a late night bar. Oh **** - that does happen in real life.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Have no problem with Greebo as a mod, think he does a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Not really sure what peoples problem is here. I think this forum runs fine and is pretty well moded.
    A mod arguing a point strongly seems to get peoples backs up though (in golf and other forums), but that seems unreasonable to me. If an ordinary poster were making the same posts they wouldnt get half the stick. Nor can I say I have seen any change to the forum in recent time, and have been following here for about 7 years. (I would have different comments for a few other boards forums btw....).

Felexicon wrote: »

^^^^
    That was pretty much my view about 12 months ago.

I've gone to the dark/Greebos side now...It'll always be the dark side but I'm here now, I'm a fan ;)

Re The Irish Open/Shane Lowry point....someone posted just towards the end of The Open something like "Can't wait till all the Crazies have gone" and this is so true around busy periods (Majors, Irish Open, Some big golfing scandal etc) .
    The forum is flooded with lads the aren't aware of how the forum is run, and by and large, Crazies is a good term for a lot of them.
    Mod's must dread these busy periods, they need to be on the ball to keep things in order, and if it means cracking down a bit more and quicker than they usually do, then that's absolutely fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I think greebo is a great aul fella.

And that's coming from someone who has a pm warning, infraction or stern words every time I bloody log in.

Heil Greebo!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Don't see the fuss personally. No issues with the moderation or Greebo. He talks a lot of sense most of the time. Sure he han be like a dog with a bone sometimes if he feels strongly about something but such is life... At least he gets involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I think its been suggested before, and there are similar threads in other sports/fitness sections of the boards community, but is there any room for a "Training Log" of sorts. Where individual posters can have their own thread talking about what they're practicing, what those results are, and how its impacting on their own game.

I know we have a few separate threads like Tin_Cups, which i enjoy his blog and i think FixedPitchmark had one for a while, but if there was a way to have all these in their own sub forum, i think it would be of benefit.

On one hand it'd be a kick up the ass for the thread owner, "i haven't updated it in ages", "i better practice a little harder", and on the other hand it would save users of the forum having to sift through threads that they don't generally want to see. I'd imagine people with the same abilities or goals would gravitate together and share ideas.

It's just a way to have a blog, without having to open a blog and worry about finding readers. And hey, if no one reads your own training log, at least its a good for yourself to get it down on paper/d'interweb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The feedback is much appreciated.

Regarding making a few more stickies - unfortunately we are not allowed to have too many of them as they have an impact when the site is viewed in mobile version (I.e on an mobile phone or tablet) so we have to restrict them to 4 or 5. Popular threads will always tend to be near the top but like all forums if something is not discussed in a day or two its not long before its on the second or third page.

hades wrote: »
    I think its been suggested before, and there are similar threads in other sports/fitness sections of the boards community, but is there any room for a "Training Log" of sorts. Where individual posters can have their own thread talking about what they're practicing, what those results are, and how its impacting on their own game.

I know we have a few separate threads like Tin_Cups, which i enjoy his blog and i think FixedPitchmark had one for a while, but if there was a way to have all these in their own sub forum, i think it would be of benefit.

On one hand it'd be a kick up the ass for the thread owner, "i haven't updated it in ages", "i better practice a little harder", and on the other hand it would save users of the forum having to sift through threads that they don't generally want to see. I'd imagine people with the same abilities or goals would gravitate together and share ideas.

It's just a way to have a blog, without having to open a blog and worry about finding readers. And hey, if no one reads your own training log, at least its a good for yourself to get it down on paper/d'interweb.

There is a sub-forum request already outstanding here so if you like this idea, please comment on thread and it might get approved.

This isnt something the mods have control over, its an admin level decision, so support it if you want it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

There is a sub-forum request already outstanding here so if you like this idea, please comment on thread and it might get approved.

This isnt something the mods have control over, its an admin level decision, so support it if you want it!

Thanks, wasn't aware of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

On the Greebo question - one thing people need to do IMHO opinion is separate Greebo the moderator from Greebo the avg Joe poster.

As a poster he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. The fact that he is a moderator should be irrelevant here and if he breaches the charter he should be dealt with just like everyone else

As a moderator his job is to enforce the charter without fear or favour.

I bring up this point as sometimes I think the distinction is lost. People disagree with his opinions and the way he expresses them and that is their right. But his opinion is not more or less important than anyone elses.

if a decision is made based on an opinion (subjective call in other words) in his role as a mod and you disagree then there are channels to handle that

This post is not making judgement calls on him in either guise, just pointing out that they need to be separated to make a coherent argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

alxmorgan wrote: »
    On the Greebo question - one thing people need to do IMHO opinion is separate Greebo the moderator from Greebo the avg Joe poster.

As a poster he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. The fact that he is a moderator should be irrelevant here and if he breaches the charter he should be dealt with just like everyone else

As a moderator his job is to enforce the charter without fear or favour.

I bring up this point as sometimes I think the distinction is lost. People disagree with his opinions and the way he expresses them and that is their right. But his opinion is not more or less important than anyone elses.

if a decision is made based on an opinion (subjective call in other words) in his role as a mod and you disagree then there are channels to handle that

This post is not making judgement calls on him in either guise, just pointing out that they need to be separated to make a coherent argument

Good post that.

So was mentioned to me yesterday that every week you have someone else coming on the forum and putting up a new thread about a different rules question where more often than not the question has already been covered in a another thread.

What would peoples opinions on a rules thread be? Whereby any rules questions would be within this thread that could be stickied or more than likely will be at the top of the listings anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

So was mentioned to me yesterday that every week you have someone else coming on the forum and putting up a new thread about a different rules question where more often than not the question has already been covered in a another thread.

What would peoples opinions on a rules thread be? Whereby any rules questions would be within this thread that could be stickied or more than likely will be at the top of the listings anyway?

yup, I'd like that...very handy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement