Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Links Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just to add on Corballis

If it was longer - would it have the same feel - I've often had a think about that. Is it the shortness that adds to the mystery ?

Like 2 - 4 - 6 - 7 , are all small , but the fact they are small has you playing clubs you never would play. How often do you have to position an 8 iron off a tee.

Hitting a sw off a tee box is an unusual thing to do. I like the test. Enjoying a bit of actual backspin, at our level is a bit of excitement.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lengthening debate.

If it was longer - it wouldn't be what it is - if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I know people are sick of me saying it - but it is not hard if you know how to play it.
    It is the most course knowledge dependant course I have ever seen.

I've played with lads from their first outing to when they eventual get it. The number of lads you see hit long irons on 2 - driver/3wood on 5 - something too long on 7 - driver on 8 - something too long on 11, being short on 13 (why) - wrong club on 17 - driver on 18.

These are all things that are going to be doubles etc.

So - so many shots are lost by choices (IMO)

Look I haven't gone around in par - and make mistakes - but it is a place the punishes wrong choices very heavily.
    Thing is i know how to play it but you can be a yard out and have a lost ball or no shot. When it is windy it is hard to be that accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just after finishing up in Corballis :)
    I've played there with Fix a good few times and have learned my lesson the hard way.
    However, once you figure out the right club (subject to the wind) it makes it a lot less of a struggle.
    Every hole has a large enough landing zone... with the right club.

Irons of every tee today bar 15 (hybrid) and 16 (driver). Took a 7i off the tee on the index 1 3rd and walked away with par. Not many holes where you take a 7i, hybrid, wedge in that order!!!

No lost balls today either ;)
    Went around in 79 (13 over) and putted as badly as I have done in a while.
    2 costly doubles and a treble ruined a very good card, all from going through the green and into cabbage :(

Was reminded that I had some 2's money when booking. Over €50 was a nice little bonus from 2 previous rounds.

Fix should do tours of the place.
    Agree with the extra yardage comment from Mike, it's a couple of par 5 's and a couple of longer par 4's away from being a match for anywhere.

This not The Corballis thread. :D

But to finish - played with a lad lately who has had a 59 there - yes a 59. :D

I will have a par round there , one of these decades.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

let me know the next saturday you're playing up there and i'll try get up - need to see this place after reading all your posts!! (i may need to buy some balls though!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

The reason, I think that Corballis gets so much posts in this thread is because it is one of the very few public links course in the country. That and the fact that it is a very good test of golf.

It has always had a very active and dedicated membership, and testament to that is the number of clubs that spawned out of it. It housed the original Donabate GC which was only 6 or 7 holes when it was there and it moved down the road during the 20s. Forrest Little was the next club to be started there and they subsequently moved out to their present location beside the airport. Then the Dublin County council took over ownership of the course, and Dublin & County Golf club started there. One it's its founding members was Pat Ruddy of European club fame, and they built the club house next door to the current clubhouse. It's now derelict unfortunately, but the club had the prestige of becoming the first club who were affiliated to the GUI who didn't own their own course. Dublin & County subsequently moved over the road to form Balcarrick GC during the 90s. Quite an impressive feat for a small course. Will the current membership do something similar in years to come ? Looks unlikely in the present climate but history may repeat itself.

There ya go. That's how tough it is... 3 seperate groups of members down through the years have gone and set up another golf club altogether just to get a cut :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »
    There ya go. That's how tough it is... 3 seperate groups of members down through the years have gone and set up another golf club altogether just to get a cut :)

That's made me laugh- and id say there is probably some truth in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Felexicon

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The main problem is it is way too unforgiving in parts then completely and totally forgiving for some holes (15 and 16 in particular)

Played there Saturday blowing a gale

Saturday was though going alright.
    I enjoy the challenge the course provides and as stated above it's the only course with such a variety of tee shots needed. Playing it again in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    let me know the next saturday you're playing up there and i'll try get up - need to see this place after reading all your posts!! (i may need to buy some balls though!!!)

I'm playing it next week on Thursday morning (30th) if you're interested? I know it's midweek but the schools are off, so you might be too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

IGTOA Links course of the year - The Island.

Really nice video. I especially like the shot of Brendan Walton teeing off the 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcLvcnqtF4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barnaboy wrote: »
    I'm playing it next week on Thursday morning (30th) if you're interested? I know it's midweek but the schools are off, so you might be too?

crap, there's 2 off here next Thursday so not a chance of me getting off. :(

IGTOA Links course of the year - The Island.

Really nice video. I especially like the shot of Brendan Walton teeing off the 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcLvcnqtF4

Excellent video, I've promised myself that it'll be finally off the to do list next year.

Excellent video, I've promised myself that it'll be finally off the to do list next year.

They usually do a really good winter rate but check if fairways and all greens are in play. Got to play 27 holes for the price of 18 last year. The rain was sideways the first day and there were a group of guys in the club house betting how long we would last no one went for the 9th:D.

With all the talk of Corballis i really want to go play there again. The 3rd would fit in on any links course in the country, imagine the 4rd and 5th and 7th if they were longer they would be super holes, they are great as they are but all really short irons. Strong finish to the 9 in 8&9.
    11th is a bit crap but it's ok from there home. No one every complains about the shared fairways in St. Andrews.

mike12 wrote: »
    They usually do a really good winter rate but check if fairways and all greens are in play. Got to play 27 holes for the price of 18 last year. The rain was sideways the first day and there were a group of guys in the club house betting how long we would last no one went for the 9th:D.

With all the talk of Corballis i really want to go play there again. The 3rd would fit in on any links course in the country, imagine the 4rd and 5th and 7th if they were longer they would be super holes, they are great as they are but all really short irons. Strong finish to the 9 in 8&9.
    11th is a bit crap but it's ok from there home. No one every complains about the shared fairways in St. Andrews.

I'd happily head out if you're stuck for someone Mike.
    Thanks for the heads up on The Island, would be a shame to play it with some greens out of play... fairways... Well I could live with that.

• Advertisement

Mike, not sure when you played it last but there have been a number of redesigns in the last few years.
    The 4th used to be a very short par 4 but the green has been pushed back to make the hole 392yds with an elevated green.
    5th & 6th are short par 4's but the 6th in particular is a very well guarded green.
    The 7th remains a very long (440 yds) and difficult (index 4) par 4. You might have mixed it up with the 8th or the 6th.
    The old 11th was short par 4 with the green right infornt of the 12th Tee , with part of the fairway shared. The fairway was moved to the left and a new saddle shaped green was put in lengthening the hole to 435 yds. There is no longer any shared fairway on this or indeed any other hole

Mike, not sure when you played it last but there have been a number of redesigns in the last few years.
    The 4th used to be a very short par 4 but the green has been pushed back to make the hole 392yds with an elevated green.
    5th & 6th are short par 4's but the 6th in particular is a very well guarded green.
    The 7th remains a very long (440 yds) and difficult (index 4) par 4. You might have mixed it up with the 8th or the 6th.
    The old 11th was short par 4 with the green right infornt of the 12th Tee , with part of the fairway shared. The fairway was moved to the left and a new saddle shaped green was put in lengthening the hole to 435 yds. There is no longer any shared fairway on this or indeed any other hole

Is the 14th/18th and 15th/16th not shared?

Think Mike was going back "on topic" and talking about Corballis Trapper :)

Think Mike was going back "on topic" and talking about Corballis Trapper :)
    My mistake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Some wind out there this morning.
    Might play the Open on Friday if anyone is interested.

View from the 1st tee this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Myself and fix have plans to play the open on friday around 9.30 if you're free . I'll throw it up in the arrange a game thread now

IMG_1582 ver2.0.jpg

Rosapenna Old Tom Morris from earlier this year

Connemara Golf Club.
    Anyone played, thinking of going Saturday if the wind calms down on the weather forecast. If it is windy is it playable and idea what the rough is like.

Connemara Golf Club.
    Anyone played, thinking of going Saturday if the wind calms down on the weather forecast. If it is windy is it playable and idea what the rough is like.

I've played it a number of times but only in the summer so my comments would be on that basis. There are areas of thick rough but you have to go considerably off line to hit them. Fairways are generous and then there is usually a section of rough that is very light.
    Its always been windy when I've played it, but I suspect that in the winter months you have a whole different level of windy out there.

I've played it a number of times but only in the summer so my comments would be on that basis. There are areas of thick rough but you have to go considerably off line to hit them. Fairways are generous and then there is usually a section of rough that is very light.
    Its always been windy when I've played it, but I suspect that in the winter months you have a whole different level of windy out there.
    Thanks, Forecast really windy for Saturday so may wait to play it again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

Away down to play both courses in Ballybunion this weekend. Can't wait for it. 3rd year going down and love it. First year had a rotten day for the Cashen and a great day the next day for the old course. A majestic place. Last year played 2.5 holes on the old course as you couldnt stand in the wind and rain never mind play golf. And got through 11 on the Cashen. Hoping for some better weather this year.

As a member of Baltray am used to links golf but it takes time. But I find when I play parkland that I score a lot better. Have my best score ever on a parkland that I had never played. I feel its easier to go from links to parkland as opposed to the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Nialler15 wrote: »
    Away down to play both courses in Ballybunion this weekend. Can't wait for it. 3rd year going down and love it. First year had a rotten day for the Cashen and a great day the next day for the old course. A majestic place. Last year played 2.5 holes on the old course as you couldnt stand in the wind and rain never mind play golf. And got through 11 on the Cashen. Hoping for some better weather this year.

As a member of Baltray am used to links golf but it takes time. But I find when I play parkland that I score a lot better. Have my best score ever on a parkland that I had never played. I feel its easier to go from links to parkland as opposed to the other way around.

How much to play them this time of year, working down that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Eoinyh wrote: »
    How much to play them this time of year, working down that way

€110 to play both on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Playing Lahinch on Saturday. Fingers crossed the weather holds up...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

Am playing in a competition its €100 for both days.

• Advertisement

Nialler15 wrote: »
    Am playing in a competition its €100 for both days.
    Is it run by the club or a socity would love to head down there for a comp. For a 100 i would be doen there myself.
    Maybe it's just me buy enjoy playing comps on courses than just casual rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Are all links tight like corballis?

I thought Headfort Old was tight but the rough in Corballis cuts it back alot

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Are all links tight like corballis?

I thought Headfort Old was tight but the rough in Corballis cuts it back alot

Not all of them Dan, you mightn't find a sand dune on some links.
    It's the shortest and tightest, and most penal for a wayward shot that I've played.
    I don't know if there's such a thing as a "typical" or "standard" links course but if I was to try to explain one it'd be a course that uses a strip of land with 9 holes hugging the coastline/dunes and then another 9 holes that are sheltered/inland holes that are a little more forgiving.
    The rough on the coastal 9 being penal (not many as heavy as the rough in Corballis tbh) and the rough on the inland holes being much more forgiving, thin wispy stuff.

Ballybunnion, Carne, Enniscrone, StrandHill, European, Portmarnock Hotel & Links would probably fit into this "blend" category.

But you'll have some like Portmarnock old, St Anne's and my favourite Mulranny :) that are generally flat but not without plenty of other challenges though.

Not sure were to put Rosses Point, it's not flat enough to go with the 3 above but it doesn't have as much dunes/elevation as the first group.

Think that's all the link courses I've played so if I've left any out, that's why.

Have we a potential links convert on our hands :) ?

I've never scored well on a links, but there's just something pure about playing golf on a links- and I've only played 4 different links, Corbalis many times, st Anne's, arklow, portmarnock hotel and links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Not all of them Dan, you mightn't find a sand dune on some links.
    It's the shortest and tightest, and most penal for a wayward shot that I've played.
    I don't know if there's such a thing as a "typical" or "standard" links course but if I was to try to explain one it'd be a course that uses a strip of land with 9 holes hugging the coastline/dunes and then another 9 holes that are sheltered/inland holes that are a little more forgiving.
    The rough on the coastal 9 being penal (not many as heavy as the rough in Corballis tbh) and the rough on the inland holes being much more forgiving, thin wispy stuff.

Ballybunnion, Carne, Enniscrone, StrandHill, European, Portmarnock Hotel & Links would probably fit into this "blend" category.

But you'll have some like Portmarnock old, St Anne's and my favourite Mulranny :) that are generally flat but not without plenty of other challenges though.

Not sure were to put Rosses Point, it's not flat enough to go with the 3 above but it doesn't have as much dunes/elevation as the first group.

Think that's all the link courses I've played so if I've left any out, that's why.

Have we a potential links convert on our hands :) ?

Thanks for the big post , sounds like I should try another one haha

Don't think I'm a convert no, but I'll have to play some others aswell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I don't know if there's such a thing as a "typical" or "standard" links course

True, no such thing really as a typical links - 9 out and 9 back was definitely the norm in the early years, but that was usually over lower terrain so it was easier to manage. Ireland has bigger dunes than Scotland, so such a routing wasn't always so practical.

Rosses Point falls between the two types, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Tremendous amount of variety.

Headed down to Connemara to play a 4ball on Saturday, the pair we were to play with pulled out so we got stuck on our own. Conditions were were tough so we didn't really want to spend 5+ hours stuck as a 2 ball in the middle of the comp.
    The guy in the Pro shop was very good and sent us out on the back 9 and then play the sea 9 free of charge.
    The course is hard to describe maybe a bit like Rosses Point not many dunes but lots of elevation changes.
    Will definitly head down again but it is remote and tough to get too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Playing Lahinch on Saturday. Fingers crossed the weather holds up...

Played Lahinch in a bloody hurricane on Saturday, had 20 points off 13 and fought like a dog for every single one... Theres a sick sort of pleasure in playing golf in conditions like that!!

Lahinch is a brutally difficult course, one of my favourites, I would love to play there on a "calm" day, not sure such a thing exists though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Photographs and a description of the 3 new holes for the Annesley Links at Royal County Down.

• Advertisement

Think the European club are taking entries to the match plays. Singles has to be played midweek but the 4ball can be played at the weekend. Great way to play the course for 50/60 euros. You can organise your own opposition for round 1 so a 4ball can get at least 2 round in for 75 quid if the losers re enter.
    Have lost on the 19th and 21st holes in the 4ball in round 3 the last 3 years.

Played Baltray on Friday in very windy conditions but thankfully avoided the rain. Very friendly folks in the club and on the course.
    Its interesting that people comment on Seapoints opening holes as being "un-links-like", but no one mentions the same about Baltray. I would have said its only when you get to the 5th that it plays like a links. 9th is a very good hole but the stretch 12 to 16 is the best of the course. I especially like the index 18, 14th hole. You should be getting a par at worst but I'd say it claims its fair share of victims. I lost my drive high to the right.
    17 is Meh, especially when the other par 3's are very good. The 18th is back to a non links playing characteristic. Not appealing to my eye, especially the positioning of 2 bunkers in the middle of the fairway is not great.
    Interesting that there is almost no view of the sea (I think 1 tee box only). Finishing of the bunkers is OK but no more than that. Greens are true and full of subtle borrows that make them a pleasure and a challange all at the same time. I would have said that its perennial top 10 ranking is very much linked to its history with the East of Ireland rather than the pure playing characteristics of the course. A very enjoyable course and one I would thoroughly recommend anyone to play.
    Only downside was that I was 3 up with 6 to play and my playing partner covered the last 6 in level par to beat me by 2 holes.

Hard luck Trapper - sounds like you played well.

The thread is nine months old - and the more it goes on. The more interesting the variety of views there are, even on a specific group of courses (links) . I enjoy reading people's different views - it is very subjective.

I've seen people who have basically said they dislike a course - that so many others love. It is interesting. Then some love another - others hate.

What PARlance and Kevin said above are good points. There seems to be little or no definition of what a typical links is. You can group them a bit - but then there will be a run of 4 holes on a course, totally different.

Yes we would all love sea views, big dunes on an everlasting coastal route with perfect greens, bunkers and authentic to original design, no trees or water hazards with no sleepers, no blind shots, no lost balls in deep rough. :D

I'm obviously joking.

But - have found it interesting.

Have we perhaps unrealistic standards in this country ?

It is going to be hard for a links to be perfect as its design is greatly determined by the way the land is formed. This formation is not controlled by man alone. The land a links can be on is sometimes restricted by nature alone. I've been on courses like Arklow - and in your divot you can physically see and feel the change in ground conditions as you move inland.

Most links have a flat section / "un links like" section - but once it is links base and grass type - I'm beginning to even enjoy these types of holes. I'm just happy hitting the ball off a sand base and onto a links greens with natural flow bumps hollows and tiers. I even love the sound.

An example of 2 great courses that are - to a great extent flat links with little or no large sand dunes - are Portmarnock Old and Portmarnock Links - these are fantastic courses - I'd put Baltray in this group.

Anyway - I'd play any above above for the rest of my days.

Hard luck Trapper - sounds like you played well.

The thread is nine months old - and the more it goes on. The more interesting the variety of views there are, even on a specific group of course s (links) . I enjoy reading people's different views - it is very subjective.

I've seen people who have basically said they dislike a course - that so many others love. It is interesting. Then some love another - others hate.

What PARlance and Kevin said above are good points. There seems to be little or no definition of what a typical links is. You can group them a bit - but then there will be a run of 4 holes on a course, totally different.

Yes we would all love sea views, big dunes on an everlasting coastal route with perfect greens, bunkers and authentic to original design, no trees or water hazards with no sleepers, no blind shots, no lost balls in deep rough. :D

I'm obviously joking.

But - have found it interesting.

Have we perhaps unrealistic standards in this country ?

It is going to be hard for a links to be perfect as its design is greatly determined by the way the land is formed. This formation is not controlled by man alone. The land a links can be on is sometimes restricted by nature alone. I've been on courses like Arklow - and in your divot you can physically see and feel the change in ground conditions as you move inland.

Most links have a flat section / "un links like" section - but once it is links base and grass type - I'm beginning to even enjoy these types of holes. I'm just happy hitting the ball off a sand base and onto a links greens with natural flow bumps hollows and tiers. I even love the sound.

An example of 2 great courses that are - to a great extent flat links with little or no large sand dunes - are Portmarnock Old and Portmarnock Links - these are fantastic courses - I'd put Baltray in this group.

Anyway - I'd play any above above for the rest of my days.

FDP, Not sure if I come across as unduly critical when I pen these little pieces. Certainly don't mean to be. Just reflecting the feedback of me and the playing partners to the day. I think there is a I'm not really bothered by the ascetic of the course, view's and high dunes, though they do impact on course ratings. To my mind the un links bit are more to do with the composition of the ground and grass as you referenced in Arklow (I've not played it). The ground should be / must be sand based and fescue. That gives it the characteristic of fast running and also means that the impact of the iron on the ground is much firmer that that of a parkland (not better or worse but different). The club bounces through impact rather than digs, if you know what I mean.

I'd agree with the assessment that Portmarnock, Portmarnock Links and Baltray are fantastic links. Golf Digest Ireland have Seapoint ranked at 43 and Baltray ranked at 9. I'm not sure there is that much of a gap. But I'd be delighted to play either or both tomorrow or any other day.

I still think sticking a bunker right in the middle of a fairway or a green (a la Mr Norman) is a nonsense.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Defo agree that there should not be that much of a gap between baltray and seapoint. Either way, great places to spend a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Interesting there are trees on Portmarnock old dotted around, wish I new what type, but they seem very appropriate and native, also think the Portmarnock peninsula may be as pure links land as there is in the country.

Next time you are down there walk to the end of the beach and into the course boundaries, the hole with tree lining the right has these trees that really make it and give it an atmosphere of seclusion.

Not encouraging trespassing obviously

• Advertisement

No, I like it Trapper. You call it as is - as you see it.

Like you gave Carne a poor enough review - I'd agree with that - but it was just in poor condition too when I played it. Carne is one I need to play again.

People love Rosses Point - yet the opening of Rosses is not a links in a way - the first hole that feels like a "real links" is what - You could say number 10.

If you look at the course top ranked of any links in the world - Royal County Down. It has a couple of holes - that are not links at all.

It has a poor finish - it goes off into a final loop that is only ok. 17 has a water hazard in the middle of the landing area :rolleyes:

18 on RCD would look a bit like opening holes in Baltray. It is a funny finish to a brilliant course.

So even the top Links course in the world has poor holes - and " A bit unlinks like holes".

I'm still looking for the perfect links

Is there such a thing ?

I hope I never find it - but will keep trying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Is there such a thing ?

western gailes in Scotland, pure pure links

western gailes in Scotland, pure pure links

I struggle sometimes to get out in Corballis sometimes - I'll never say never.

But hard to see me get there.

http://www.westerngailes.com/

No, I like it Trapper. You call it as is - as you see it.

Like you gave Carne a poor enough review - I'd agree with that - but it was just in poor condition too when I played it. Carne is one I need to play again.

Just so you don't think I'm a constantly depressed golfer, I did give Rosapenna (Sandy Hills & back 9 Old Tom Morris), Seapoint, Connemara & Mt Juliet glowing feedback.

So even the top Links course in the world has poor holes - and " A bit unlinks like holes".

Is there such a thing ?

EXACTLY! We keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

I could go in to a long essay on what does or does not qualify as links land and why.

But I won't.

Interests me that Trapper doesn't like the bunkers in the middle of the 18th fairway at Baltray. This is a very different design trait to putting a bunker in the middle of the green.

Why don't you like this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement