Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - how did you cope

Options
  • 20-08-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Just found out today that I am being made redundant after more than 20 years in the same job. To be honest it didn't come as a huge shock but I have mixed emotions. Part of me is relieved that it has all come to a head and part of me is terrified.
    I'm too young for retirement and feel I still have a lot to offer. I'm very much at a crossroads. I managed to get a degree while working, it's in a completely different area. Part of me feels the redundancy is the kick in the a**e I need to go out and use the degree. On the other hand I could find work in the same area and just carry on.
    How did the rest of you cope when/if faced with the RP50 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Will be losing the job myself in the new year. Due to my age, education/qualifications and health I am virtually unemployable. We will lose our home and my son, who has been looking forward to college since primary school, will not be able to go.

Well done on the degree. As you say, it gives you options. All the very best. Let us know how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

ppshay wrote: »
    Will be losing the job myself in the new year. Due to my age, education/qualifications and health I am virtually unemployable. We will lose our home and my son, who has been looking forward to college since primary school, will not be able to go.

Well done on the degree. As you say, it gives you options. All the very best. Let us know how things go.

So sorry to hear that PPShay. Having an uncertain future is scary to say the least. Have you looked into college grants for your son, there must be something available.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

ppshay wrote: »

To jos28 and ppshay,

Sorry to hear that. I dont think that anyone is unemployable. What age are you guys and where do you live?

Regarding your son ppshay, surely the grants will help him go to college? You have between now and the new year to find a new job.

One thing to you both. Remember that you have built up a lot of ciontacts over the years so dont be afraid to ask friends and family to look out for jobs for you.

Thanks for the encouraging words Jim. I'm 54 and living in Dublin. Funny that you should mention contacts, I've had 2 calls since the word got out from contacts I made through work. They both told me that they will put the word out and give me references if needed. Have to agree that no-one is unemployable. Put the word out ppshay, you never know what might come your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's a shock to the system, you have to get used to a whole new way of life. I took voluntary redundancy from one job, best move I ever made. After that got a job I loved, but was let go, they were downsizing. Keep on trying. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the encouragement Maggie. NOT enjoying the job searching :(
    Nothing came from my contacts yet but I suppose it's early days. I really don't like being at home everyday, I don't imagine I'm easy to live with. I am keeping busy but it's not the same as having a job to go to.
    I like being busy - 4 years ago I was working 5 days a week, doing a degree, looking after my Mam and keeping the house going. Now I have the degree but no job, the kids have moved out and my little Mammy has passed on.
    On a more positive note, I've signed up for a course to get my skills up to date. I've had a 3 interviews - one I got but didn't take cos it was sh1te
    The other one I got called for 2nd interview and was delighted not to get it. The actual job did not match the job description and I'd have been way out of my depth. I'n going to see a career coach next week, hopefully he'll help me decide what I want to be when I grow up :D
    Gotta stay positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes our family have noticed that job descriptions advertised are not exactly what is being offered. One job advert said 'city centre', which was perfect for the person applying as she is living in city centre with no transport, but at the interview it turned out she would be required to travel to all their branches all over the city and expected to use her own transport which she doesn't have. Why do they lead people on like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

About your needs and goals in life and what you want to do. I had a good enough job for 14 yrs and was let go when they closed down. I moved to another location and a similar job without really giving it much thought. This new job offered voluntary redundancy as the nature of the job was changing and they wanted only graduates in the future or experienced trades people of which I was neither. I departed from that second job after 12 yrs. Again without much thought I did a course for 1 yr and joined another company doing similar wor but only lasted 6 months At the time I thought it was a complete and unmitigated disaster.

With the support of my wife and family, I took stock of my entire life and needs and wants and looked for what was right for me in my life for the future.
    Part of the analysis was that I was found to have a condition that I never was aware that I has which made social interaction and teamwork difficult, increasingly vital attributes in the sector which I had worked in for the last 30 yrs. I had to change my life and career completely.

My wife came up with the idea which is now making me a reasonable weeks wages and things are looking good for the first time in 4 yrs. I also have taken advice and counselling on how to cope with the new realities of my new life and this is helping.

Through the government agency that WAS Fas, you can get access to a variety of agencies which can help in restructuring your life for new economic realities we all face as citizens of this country. For most over 50's of moderate educational attainments this will be self employment or contingency work of some sort as I believe that the Multinationals only want young compliant labour and do not want to deal with over 50's unless they are very well educated in their field.

You need to examine what you really like to do, what you are really good at without any struggle or difficulty, increasingly companies will only be retaining staff who are excellent at their jobs and ENJOY what they are doing and have a passion for, lukewarm people like me in my original line of work will be found out and weeded out and let go.

You need to plan for and budget for continuous personal and professional development and training....does not matter what type of work you do, all levels of work in Ireland will require this type of education and training at all stages of the worklife in the near future. Companies are increasingly expecting people to do this themselves or at least be open to it. Also this is something that people will be doing in their own time. Hopefully they will be able to charge more for their services if the training and development are good and their skills are scarce and in demand. Research this and make sure they are.

There are several courses and stuff available on strengths weaknesses abilities likes dislikes etc to help you decide what line of work is suitable for you, choose wisely and be prepared to change yourself if this is needed. Good marketing and sales skills will be needed by everyone in the future and good networking and contact building skills ie. never do a bad job for anyone and build up your reputation as much as you can etc.

Such rebuilding of a persons worklife will take time and patience and will to change established practices and limits but it can be done. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Doolox, that is such an inspiring and informative post. You have covered every single thought that is racing round my head. I think I am in panic mode at the moment and desperately trying to find a job to replace the one I lost. Friends are telling me to slow down and take time out to explore other options. Your post really hit home. I am delighted things have worked out for you. I will take your advice - I will stay calm, think long and hard. Many thanks

Advertisement