Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chewing Gum

Options
  • 20-03-2007 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I read in the Post a couple of weeks ago that someone on the council was pushing for a ban on the sale of chewing gum in the city centre. Just wondering what people thought of this idea. Does local government actually have the power to do something like this?

I use chewing gum all the time but I'd be more than happy to put up with the inconvenience of not being able to buy it in the city centre if it meant helping to get rid of it off the streets. It can really ruin a pavement and it's already starting to make its presence felt on Bedford Row and Thomas Steet. Of course Cruises St. is covered in the stuff and it's just one of the many things making William St. the ugly mess that it is (just look at the ground around the bus stops).

There's plenty of other litter problems too, especially fag butts, but nothing's quite as bad chewing gum. Of course why people are so feckin' thick that they can't just put it in the bin in the first place is another question entirely...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It will do absolutely nothing.... What about all the tourists visiting Limerick each day or people coming in from Co.Limerick? Another example of the Council not using their brains to solve problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

DarkJager wrote:
    It will do absolutely nothing.... What about all the tourists visiting Limerick each day or people coming in from Co.Limerick? Another example of the Council not using their brains to solve problems.

It's not just tourists and people from the county, as my understanding of this plan is that it involves banning the sale of chewing gum only in the "city centre", not all of the city.

I would imagine the thinking behind it is that alot of the people causing the problem might not necessarily come prepared with a packet of chewing gum in their pocket, and would then not be able to buy any if they suddenly have a craving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

I think it's a great idea, and something I have felt very strongly about for a long time. it's disgusting to see a brand new street like Bedford Row already soiled with people's leftover gum. I cannot understand why people would spit chewing gum on the street like that. And why so people feel the need to stick it on the back of toilet doors or underneath a desk? It infuriates me!

I think a nationwide ban would be benificial. If you think of it; it's a piece of flavoured plastic: it's a horrible concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a Ridiculous ban. Just think...a packet of chewing gum could last you half a day.

For Example. You could buy some chewing gum in The Crescent SC and by the time you reach town you could still have the first one in your mouth and then you would spit it out in town and still have half the packet left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

then close down all the chippers and fast food chains too! the litter left in the street at nights is just disgusting! maybe the same people that spti the gum on the pavement drop the empty chips bag just where they are walking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How about they errr....make people more aware of the consequences of throwing it on the street?

Oh wait...that will not do much.

To be honest I think banning gum is a tad bit too much.

Obviously it's not going to get rid of the problem completely and I never said it would. But without having the figures (for obvious reasons), I would think that most chewing gum left around the city centre would have been bought there in the first place.

So, yes, you could still get chewing gum into the city, and, yes, people determined to share their crap with the rest of us would still be able to do so, but if it would make a noticeable difference, than surely it would be worth it. Although even if the council could do this, I can't really see it happening.

Of course I would much prefer a system of automatic electrocution for anyone who litters, although I'm afraid the technology's something of a way off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

An all out ban is ridiculous tbh. Typical mentality of the governing institutions in this country - "If we cant control it, we'll get rid of it". Nothing about tackling the root of the problem, i.e. the congregating points of teenagers and kids in town, where the gum is primarily spat out. Finest example is outside HMV on cruises street.

How about employing more litter wardens? This would be for the greater good of the entire city's litter problem also. I just feel an all out ban is excessive and generates an air of negativity about the country.

The extreme pedant in me feels the need to point out that it's not an all out ban, just a ban on selling it.

I agree more litter wardens and the like would be better though.

Advertisement