Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Paddys weekend

Options
  • 15-03-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

What are people up to min the city this weekend..
    There isnt much really interesting on but i might catch the parade for Springfest and maybe some of the market thing in Perys square. Doesnt seem to be much else on apart from the band parade which i have no interest in. For a festival weekend there's very little to do imo.
    Probably going back West Clare unless I discover something amazing I'm missing. Is there any good gigs on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Watching Ireland win the six nations!
    (Fingers Crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I don't know if anyone will be out on Saturday given the match is on at 1.30
    Are there any fireworks on any night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

dunno. the Sprinfest site has nothing on it really apart from The Parades and Pery Square thing thats why I was asking. Will give Paddys night in town a miss anyway as its always too rough and messy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Debenhams are really getting into the swing of.....they are blasting out irish tunes from speakers and deafening anyone who walks by. All Good Fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

avoiding town like the plague due to the yearly pilgrimage of scumbags into it to "watch the parade" (translation-destroy half the town with silly string,eggs,getting pissed on the streets and generally making life difficult for everyone else),after working every paddys day for the last 5 years in a shop on cruises st i can honestly say i despise that day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The parade will for the first year be done for the crowd more so for the people in it. aka... it shall be entertaining and colourful. 8 or so floats will be re-telling old irish folk stories. a futher 5ish will be theatrical as well... 7 musical entries... 230 irish soliders, plus a flyover by the air corps, a circus and go karting. The line up does look fairly impressive for the paddies day parade.

After that will be the fair which should be class, especially the Cheili Mór, they have something similar in Dublin with over 50,000 people taking part every year. As well as that they will have musical entertainment, street theatre, 'giant puppets', a market and an 'inflatable village' for the kids.

Sunday there is the Band Parade with over 20 bands. and the band recital on monday.

I kinda find it funny... only in Limerick can you have a 6 day festival and for he first 3 days have no events lined up. what makes thse days part of Springfest??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Workin so going to miss all the goings on at least the french market aint on would be gutted if i missed out on the grub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Here's the link to the Springfest website.
    The parade is starting at 12 :eek: I thought I might get a chance to see some of it before heading home for the match but doesn't look like it now.

http://www.limerickcityfestivals.com/springfest_root/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

krudler wrote:
    avoiding town like the plague due to the yearly pilgrimage of scumbags into it to "watch the parade" (translation-destroy half the town with silly string,eggs,getting pissed on the streets and generally making life difficult for everyone else)

watching the parade as close to my house as possible and heading home immediately for the same reason. not fancy to see all the puke on the pavemnts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Excellent Parade, really was impressed.... was at Pery Square, those street entertainers... absolutley hilarious, i didnt see the two brothers but saw the single fellas full show. top class.

The French Market had stalls at the Pery Square fair, cheeses and all the like. not to the same scale though... the "Cheli Mór" was a real let down for me... i figured there would be some cheili set up rather than just a trad band playing, but the gospel choir were fun... i left soon after. The park was quite bare just the bouncy castle village (which was MASSIVE) and the drummers which were class but seemed a bit far from the festivities....

Parade was spectacular... the scouts were less and had a flyer over while the were walking so we could enjoy something, handing out flags and a programme to all the crowd impressed me as well... great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

ditto limerick man ,

i went to town with my hubby and 2 daughters aged 6 and 2....we were a bit worried that the 2 yr old would get bored but no way, the parade was continuous.....and was fantastic...impressive fly over

when the parade was over the council moved in immediately cleaning the streets and the whole event seemed to go very well..

it was a joy to be in limerick yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Best Parade in a long long time, the floats and giant hillbilly things are what parades are all about......not mr. binman.

Band Parade was great....it was great fun in the hail, watching Trinity Valley (brilliant band) thinking it was the apocalypse at City Hall. They didn't know what was coming out of the sky.

Advertisement