Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being constantly hacked wherever I go

Options
  • 09-07-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi! I had a gmail account for years, and I came to thinking that it was customary to get your account entered into from 'another location' (per Google) every time you viewed a video. Then, I created a facebook profile and throughout that time there, I noticed someone was changing stuff in my account. I told facebook about it, no reply as is the norm. a taxi pic appeared for working for self. I had event updates for 'gay events', (nothing against gay, but not), witches events, and stuff I had nt put there. Then I saw the profile of an undesirable( that had to be removed from our house share by police few years previous,) whose profile was there, that had been viewing my profile!!! The penny dropped, and I deleted the facebook account. They found me by my email address and phone number. Yes, even though your details are meant to be private. That was a year ago. I changed my phone and phone number. I still use the same dongle, that changes IP number each time I go online.
    I then opened a yahoo email on new phone and number, and I got a notification that someone had accessed my account from another location.... I was only setting up the account, anyway I kept that email address, and still have it.
    During the year, I had a blog on blogger, connected to a google+ profile, yes, you've correctly guessed, the email got hacked, and the blog was destroyed. Google were fantastic. They put up curtains, and worked at undoing all the harm, and gave it back to me late that night. All the daily statistics all in tact. I had told them who I thought it was. They did something, I don't know what, but I was left alone for months.

Yesterday evening I opened a facebook account with a different name and photo, and after 3 hours, I got a message from FB that my account had been accessed from another location. They told me to also change passwords on the 2 email accounts linked to it.( One that would have been visibly linked to the first gmail account that I had to delete, and one new one created yesterday to go with the FB account.) I've done nothing yet, this is starting to tire me out.
    What I would like to be advised on is do I now delete all and start over, with new phone, number etc all over again, please?
    Should I change the dongle?
    I've visited the garda station last year when it was fresh,no avail. They dont care for this stuff, and want evidence.
    Your comments greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

Is it the same laptop, or PC you've used throughout? My first thoughts would be that a keyloggers, or some form of remote monitoring software is on your laptop. Fresh install of your o\s, delete any partitions, and a full format

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You need to start clean and not tie everything together. It seems that even though you start out with new accounts, you are possibly using original email addresses as back ups or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you also need to enable 2-step verification on everything: it prevents anyone who doesn't physically posses your phone from logging on anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

JamBur wrote: »
    Is it the same laptop, or PC you've used throughout? My first thoughts would be that a keyloggers, or some form of remote monitoring software is on your laptop. Fresh install of your o\s, delete any partitions, and a full format

Thanks JamBur, how do I do that stuff? or where to take it.
    They never had access to this laptop, only have it 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

So all your previous problems with Gmail have been sorted out, but not this new one of your Facebook being accessed from another location? Are you sure it isn't you who accessed it from a different device somewhere?

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    You need to start clean and not tie everything together. It seems that even though you start out with new accounts, you are possibly using original email addresses as back ups or something.

Thanks Mickdw, I did'nt want to delete that account, but certainly will now. I think new laptop too....

folamh wrote: »
    So all your previous problems with Gmail have been sorted out, but not this new one of your Facebook being accessed from another location? Are you sure it isn't you who accessed it from a different device somewhere?

My initial thought was that, but I didnt even try to access it from my phone, it said the 'location' was 'near' Dublin. Me, my phone and LT are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Joolzie wrote: »
    Thanks Mickdw, I did'nt want to delete that account, but certainly will now. I think new laptop too....

No need for a new laptop if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself take it to a local pc repair place and they will wipe it for you and reinstall windows as long as you have the sticker on the bottom with the windows key. Just be sure to tell them what files you wanted backed up from the hard drive first pictures, documents etc...

As said above it does sound like some sort of key logger that gives the other person any new account details you create including passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

You said you have a dongle which change ip address??? Why?? Even if it does work, fb and the rest of services are surprised that every time you log in, it comes from different ip adress.

Advice is: do factory restore on your computer, (before that save all your pictures and documents on external hard drive), buy good antivirus ( i wont do suggestions here), change passwords on emails and fb (upper and lower case letters plus numbers and symbols), different passwords on all accounts.

I do pc's as side work to my regular work for good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Then I saw the profile of an undesirable( that had to be removed from our house share by police few years previous,) whose profile was there, that had been viewing my profile!!! The penny dropped, and I deleted the facebook account.

This does not mean that this is the person who is hacking you. You cannot see who has viewed your Facebook profile. To enable two factor authentication in Facebook, goto security settings and enable Login Alerts, Login Approval and code generator.

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security

If there is a keylogger on you laptop, download and run malwarebytes from safemode (press F* when Windows is starting and select Safemode with Networking).

• Advertisement

Ant695 wrote: »
    No need for a new laptop if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself take it to a local pc repair place and they will wipe it for you and reinstall windows as long as you have the sticker on the bottom with the windows key. Just be sure to tell them what files you wanted backed up from the hard drive first pictures, documents etc...

As said above it does sound like some sort of key logger that gives the other person any new account details you create including passwords.

Yes Ant695, I was n't even looking at a video, they just logged in, so easy.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    You said you have a dongle which change ip address??? Why?? Even if it does work, fb and the rest of services are surprised that every time you log in, it comes from different ip adress.

Advice is: do factory restore on your computer, (before that save all your pictures and documents on external hard drive), buy good antivirus ( i wont do suggestions here), change passwords on emails and fb (upper and lower case letters plus numbers and symbols), different passwords on all accounts.

I do pc's as side work to my regular work for good few years.

Yes Mar4ix! it's hilarious I know. Its a mobile device so just links up each time with a different IP address. The upside of that is...They cant send me a virus..:)
    Tnx for the info

bajer101 wrote: »
    This does not mean that this is the person who is hacking you. You cannot see who has viewed your Facebook profile. To enable two factor authentication in Facebook, goto security settings and enable Login Alerts, Login Approval and code generator.

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security

If there is a keylogger on you laptop, download and run malwarebytes from safemode (press F* when Windows is starting and select Safemode with Networking).

Yes bajer101, I know I don't know for sure, but it's an all round probability. I'm just an ordinary joe soap, for unknown reasons very popular for hacking, no nothing interesting, just boring ordinary stuff, nothing exciting.
    Thanks for your advice, will follow..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Malwarebytes wont find any decent keylogger.

syklops wrote: »
    Malwarebytes wont find any decent keylogger.

Yes it will - unless it is a legitimate keylogger, in which case the OP has a completely different problem. But if this is just some nuisance case, then malwarebytes will pick it up.

Yes it will - unless it is a legitimate keylogger, in which case the OP has a completely different problem. But if this is just some nuisance case, then malwarebytes will pick it up.

What did you think I meant when I said "decent keylogger"?

syklops wrote: »
    What did you think I meant when I said "decent keylogger"?

By legitimate, I menat "official" as in law enforcement. I don't think that is the case here. If it is someone who is using it to detect his FB password to make posts about being gay, then I think it is safe to assume that if they are using a keylogger it will be one that malwarebytes will detect.

By legitimate, I menat "official" as in law enforcement. I don't think that is the case here. If it is someone who is using it to detect his FB password to make posts about being gay, then I think it is safe to assume that if they are using a keylogger it will be one that malwarebytes will detect.

I meant decent as in FUD, meaning undetectable. Something you can buy with your paypal account for less than a few pints in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

how does that help if say ..... it loads before windows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Yes Mar4ix! it's hilarious I know. Its a mobile device so just links up each time with a different IP address. The upside of that is...They cant send me a virus..:)
    Tnx for the info

I am afraid viruses gets in to pc NOT via ip address, so to keep changing ip addresses its pointless, also i doubt it isp will give you every time different public ip address, more likely you will be using private ip address.
    Viruses gets in to pc via email attachments, other media attachments, bad web page visiting, a specially if java and flash player are outdated. Scan malwarebytes would be helpful.
    Suggest you find someone well known to you and familiar with computers, and do what i suggested in my first post. Any other way - i dont know tbh.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Do you use the same password for a lot of your sites?

Do you use the same password for a lot of your sites?

Never. They are all long and complicated. It always says 'strong'. This person is quite adept at hacking. they don't need passwords. They just sailed onto my account yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Just because it says strong dosen't mean it is a secure. Is it alphanumeric? Instead of using usinh a password try using a pass phrase like the fist line of favorite song and replace letters with numbets ie replace all the es with the number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I will reiterate that the strongest level of protection you can get against this is 2-step verification.

Overheal wrote: »
    I will reiterate that the strongest level of protection you can get against this is 2-step verification.

Yes, I agree. Going to do that. tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Are you ever or frequently using public area WiFi (Starbucks/McDonald's/ hotels, etc) and leaving your accounts logged in when you connect to them.....??
    Is your internet key "locked" or free to be used by anyone?

SMJSF wrote: »
    Are you ever or frequently using public area WiFi (Starbucks/McDonald's/ hotels, etc) and leaving your accounts logged in when you connect to them.....??
    Is your internet key "locked" or free to be used by anyone?

Thanks, no, I have never used public area wiFi. Don't use laptop a lot, and never carry it around. No music on it. just email and forums and surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It would seem you have malware on your machine and every time you change a password or sign up for anything it reports home with the details.

You need to reformat your drive and reinstall to operating system from an installation iso not the recovery partition. If the malware author (not necessarily the installer) is at all skilled they are likely to have found a way of incorporating it into the recovery partition.

FSL wrote: »
    It would seem you have malware on your machine and every time you change a password or sign up for anything it reports home with the details.

You need to reformat your drive and reinstall to operating system from an installation iso not the recovery partition. If the malware author (not necessarily the installer) is at all skilled they are likely to have found a way of incorporating it into the recovery partition.

Thanks for that. I know what I have to do now, just waiting for the payday..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Thanks for that. I know what I have to do now, just waiting for the payday..:)

What you need to do won't cost anything.

Except a good few hours.

Advertisement